Home Precious Metals
Options

real bills - updated - Dr. Fekete

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
**Latest Article Posted at the end**

After Fekete's last article (posted here) I still couldn't put together his total concept of a gold standard with a real bill system. But this finally does it. Generally he places the blame for our economic woes in the 1930's and then 2000's on the destruction of international trade via real bills. Along with this is the need to be able to pay one's workers making key consumer products by a wage fund. A gold standard takes care of both.

And in reading Fekete's article I think it shows that one doesn't have to use gold for every transaction, or even the majority of transactions. Those real bills get passed around to multiple entities before finally being settled.

Interesting reading.....though not as exciting as silver jumping $1 today.

Fekete discusses gold and real bills

roadrunner
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Rather than "real bills" that convert to gold after a period of time, why couldn't we just back paper money with fractional precious metals. For example, if we issued a dollar that was backed by 1/20th oz of silver then it would have real value instead of perceived or assumed value. Since currencies fluctuate in international exchange value already, fluctuation of PM's wouldn't be a departure from current conditions. It might even stabilize PM's to the point where they don't move around so much and that would add stability to the global financial structure. Of course, we would have to back the bills with metal on deposit that was actually audited and we could take out the part where the bill is redeemable in metal. The good part is that our money would actually be backed by something of value that is recognized in the international marketplace. This would also stop the unrestrained printing of currency and insure the stability of the dollar. It would stand to reason that any country that had a currency backed by something of value would be in strong demand.

JMHO for the purpose of offering a comment. I do like the article by Dr. Fekete but it's a little abstract for me. thanks for the post.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These real bills would have to be redeemable on demand for silver or gold as the case may be.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole concept of money as a medium of exchange comes down to trust. The bankers simply can't help themselves when it comes to over-paying themselves at the expense of productive people. Eventually, all of the shenanigans played out by the bankers will destroy trust in the monetary system. It's happening now.

It doesn't matter what forms the basis of money if there is no trust. That's why a hard asset such as a precious metal always works as the fallback position. In the final analysis, it is necessary to "Trust, but Verify". And physical metals can be counted, audited and pro-rated.

It isn't rocket science, but if real money predominates - the bankers have everything to lose and the politicians would be forced to make real decisions.

Bankers hate real money because they can't create more of it or skim it off the top. Their incomes and status would plummet if they actually had to work for a living and if their incomes depended upon real work and honest accounting.

Politicians hate real money because of accountability. If they had to make a real decision without smoke & mirrors about whether to cut retirement benefits or not to provide for comprehensive health care benefits for everyone regardless of their contributions to society, there might actually be some hard decisions being made. No politician wants to be on either side of a hard decision - it's that basic.

The change in money and accounting is coming, though. Like it or not, phantom currencies are in trouble.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

Bankers hate real money because they can't create more of it or skim it off the top. Their incomes and status would plummet if they actually had to work for a living and if their incomes depended upon real work and honest accounting.

Politicians hate real money because of accountability. If they had to make a real decision without smoke & mirrors about whether to cut retirement benefits or not to provide for comprehensive health care benefits for everyone regardless of their contributions to society, there might actually be some hard decisions being made. No politician wants to be on either side of a hard decision - it's that basic.

. >>

Well said.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole concept of money as a medium of exchange comes down to trust.

I agree with this.

This piece is shows that the whole thing is cyclical. We will have bubbles and busts. Always have, always will. It has more to do with human nature. Utopians, like Marx, thought his theology could fix these economic boom and busts, but they overlooked the human nature - greed and self-aggrandizement over the good of the masses, self protection at the expense of the masses.

It shows that as long as there is a mutual trust in the system, whatever that system is, it works. If trust is gold in a vault, so be it. If trust is faith in the US paying is obligations, thats just as well. When that trust erodes, that is when the problem starts.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with EE's trust vs. distrust concept. But I certainly feel a lot better owning PM's in this period of fiat debasing/mistrust. The founding fathers knew all this 235 yrs ago and designed the best system they could to prevent such mistrust from occuring. It's odd that during these cycles the people have to have the smarts to protect themselves by being able to switch to appropriately "trusted" money every few decades or risk getting wiped out. Over the last 30 yrs the govt has done everything possible to cause the people to distrust PM's....and it worked like a charm. Their loss however.

The intent of linking Fekete's article was not to say we have to shift to a gold standard, but basically how one would or could work....or how it used to work. The average person would have no clue how such a system would be constructed. It's taken a series of several articles by Fekete to show me how it would work where I could actually understand it. It's just not as simple as J6P would believe where a gold coin covers every purchase, wage, and transaction being conducted.

roadrunner
  • Options
    real bills and gold - Fekete

Another article on this topic that better clarifies the difference between real bills & circulating legal tender notes (ie FRN's).

Real Bill fallacies

Gold and Honey - real bills update Jan 2011

roadrunner