Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone read this? Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the most beloved Lakers of all time -- and that's exactly why the Upper Deck trading card company believes they can't get a fair shot against him in a Los Angeles court. It's all over a lawsuit Kareem filed last month -- in which he accused Upper Deck of using his image on a trading card without his permission. Now, Upper Deck wants the case moved to San Diego .... arguing in new documents that because Kareem spent so many years playing for the Lake Show ... his "iconic status in Los Angeles will irrefutably prejudice [Upper Deck] and deny them a fair and unbiased trial." TMZ.com

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    What's his best rookie card?

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>What's his best rookie card? >>

What sport did he play?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>

What sport did he play? >>

How many women did he sleep with?
  • The guys in Pearl Jam are big basketball fans; in fact they originally named their band "Mookie Baylock". Anyway, their bassist Jeff Ament met Jabber, and Jabber totally blew him off...so the band recorded this song about Jabber aka Lew Alcinder...it's called "Sweet Lew".

"Sweet Lew, how could you?"
  • Didn't he play for the Miami Dolphins.

• << <i>Didn't he play for the Miami Dolphins. >>

Think that was Karim

• << <i>

<< <i>Didn't he play for the Miami Dolphins. >>

Think that was Karim >>

It was. I was just joking.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    stoner.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Think that was Karim >>

It was. I was just joking. >>

I know. Wasn't funny
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What sport did he play? >>

How many women did he sleep with? >>

Let's hope it was only women.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    What's his best rookie card?

What maybe '72 or '73 or whenever he became "Kareem!?"
  • Shame he wasn't a Clipper, then they couldn't find a potential juror who had ever heard of him.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards

• << <i>Shame he wasn't a Clipper, then they couldn't find a potential juror who had ever heard of him. >>

imageimageimageimage

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    What are you guys talking about?? He was an airline pilot for Trans-American! (Though I think his career ended after the infamous flight in which he got food poisoning.)
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I would pickup one of his Contender RCs or maybe even and SPA rookie. Try to find one w/ a 4 color patch and you could like retire.

Also are you related by chance to DPeck?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Think that was Karim >>

I know. Wasn't funny >>

If you knew it was a joke, why would of you just not said in your first reply "thats not a funny joke". Instead you comment trying to correct me--and when I say it was a joke, you back step and say you knew it was a joke....Sure you knew.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Think that was Karim >>

I know. Wasn't funny >>

If you knew it was a joke, why would of you just not said in your first reply "thats not a funny joke". Instead you comment trying to correct me--and when I say it was a joke, you back step and say you knew it was a joke....Sure you knew. >>

Is this a joke, i dunno, I'm confused.... who joked first, and who is really joking?
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Maybe UD could just give KAJ some pokemon cards or griffey rc's?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Think that was Karim >>

I know. Wasn't funny >>

If you knew it was a joke, why would of you just not said in your first reply "thats not a funny joke". Instead you comment trying to correct me--and when I say it was a joke, you back step and say you knew it was a joke....Sure you knew. >>

Geesh! Relax and let me buy you a beer.
    I have a feeling LSU knew about the Karim who played for the Dolphins. I remember him at UCLA. What was his name before he changed it while at UCLA?
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Lew Alcindor aka THE original big unit.

• << <i>I have a feeling LSU knew about the Karim who played for the Dolphins. I remember him at UCLA. What was his name before he changed it while at UCLA? >>

Sharmon Shah
    Correct. It was Sharmon Shah. I think he changed his name before his last year at UCLA. At least that's my recollection.

Thunderdan, I was aking about KARIM not KAREEM. Nice try though.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
  • I remember when he was still called Karim
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    you ever seen a grown man naked?
  • ........or been to a Turkish prison?
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    popo.
  • Happy birthday Kareem.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you ever seen a grown man naked? >>

Do you watch movies about Gladiators?

• wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Roger Murdock: I'm sorry son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.
    Joey: You are Kareem! I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.
    Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now Joey. Right Clarence?
    Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone, let him stay here.
    Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is...
    [showing his nametag]
    Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.
    Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.
    [Kareem's getting mad]
    Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.
    Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    saw Kareem a few years ago at LAX in the waiting area for a flight to the Hawaiian Islands, so i casually drifted towards him and said "Hey, how's it goin'?"

he ignored me. i bet he was stoned. but, his girlfriend was kinda way hot.