Home Sports Talk
Options

Fire Bears GM Jerry Angelo!

recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
He is responsible for assembling the worst offensive line that I have ever seen and I'm calling for his head.
If you look at who he has drafted in his tenure you will see he has paid no attention to the offensive line and the team finally got exposed big time on national t.v.

Comments

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't help when your QB isn't recognizing defenses.
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't help when your QB isn't recognizing defenses. >>

Hard to do that when your concussed.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I gather from these posts that the Bears lost last night.
  • Options
    I was listening to WSCR who reported at the 13:41 mark of the second quarter Cutler was sacked by Umenyiora. Cutler then got up and walked to the Giants sideline. This was missed by NBC. He probably played the rest of the second quarter with a concussion.
  • Options
    I blame Cutler. You can't hold the ball like that.

Throw it in the dirt, the stands, but you got to get rid of it.
  • Options
    I still stand by my original post, this is the worst Bears offensive line I have seen. I don't think they're good enough to win another game.
    The top teams in the NFL don't have 5 solid players on o-line, they have eight, the Bears have none.
    Here's my question: how long will it take the Bears to aquire an elite offensive line?
  • Options
    On the plus side, Cutler has found his go to receiver. 4 catches for 92 yards and a TD. image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options

<< <i>On the plus side, Cutler has found his go to receiver. 4 catches for 92 yards and a TD. >>

Lol, I had bad flash backs to Darrell Green.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    To have an elite offensive line, one must PAY an elite offensive line. Aside from the Peppers signing, the Bears have not generally been openminded to shelling out the big bucks. They operate like a small market team. It might be awhile.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    come one a year and a half ago all you bears fans you happy as a school girl over the trade of the century. too bad you lost all those #1's and few #2's in the last few drafts. then you had to go out and spend big bucks on peppers and chester. at least you play peppers. why you dont play chester i dont know. but i love hearing all the moaning and groaning down here in chitown.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jay, your o-line is almost as bad and the amount of injuries the pack have sustained I don't see them going far.
    I'm right there with you on the bears off season moves. I don't have a problem with Cutler or Peppers, but they didn't need Chester Taylor. They should have put that money in the o-line and drafted some o-lineman in the past decade.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    They should have put that money in the o-line and drafted some o-lineman in the past decade.

It is pretty incredible the lack of OL drafted by this franchise.

Since 2000

2008 OT Chris Williams 1st round #14 (already converted to Guard)
    2007 G Josh Beekman 4th round #130
    2002 OT Marc Columbo 1st round #29
    2002 G Terrence Metcalf 3rd round #93
    2001 OT Mike Gandy 3rd round #67
    2001 OT Bernard Robertson 5th round #138

That's it, that's the list. Compare that to the amount of players selected on the D-line side and it's seemingly like 10-1. Aside from ponying up for John Tait several years ago, it's not like they use Free Agency to load up on OL either. They get lower tier aged retreads like Frank (Omygod) Omiyale and Fred Miller who had one good year in the Superbowl year. This team should be 2-5, and even though the O-Line is part of the reason Cutler sucks, the other half is that his football IQ is dangerously treading towards other recent Chicago "greats" like Matt Murton and Kris Versteeg, who have flashes of brilliance and then revert back to their country-dumb stupidity and misplaced arrogance. Sadly, like the Cubs, this franchise has such a perpetual stream of $ they'll never completely blow this mofo up like it needs to be. Clipping Angelo will only solve one problem. The McCaskey's still own it, and it's still being run by Ted Phillips...ie it's being run like NHL franchises like the St Louis Blues and Philly Flyers and the ownership runs the show like it's 1975.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They should have put that money in the o-line and drafted some o-lineman in the past decade.

It is pretty incredible the lack of OL drafted by this franchise.

Since 2000

2008 OT Chris Williams 1st round #14 (already converted to Guard)
    2007 G Josh Beekman 4th round #130
    2002 OT Marc Columbo 1st round #29
    2002 G Terrence Metcalf 3rd round #93
    2001 OT Mike Gandy 3rd round #67
    2001 OT Bernard Robertson 5th round #138

That's it, that's the list. Compare that to the amount of players selected on the D-line side and it's seemingly like 10-1. Aside from ponying up for John Tait several years ago, it's not like they use Free Agency to load up on OL either. They get lower tier aged retreads like Frank (Omygod) Omiyale and Fred Miller who had one good year in the Superbowl year. This team should be 2-5, and even though the O-Line is part of the reason Cutler sucks, the other half is that his football IQ is dangerously treading towards other recent Chicago "greats" like Matt Murton and Kris Versteeg, who have flashes of brilliance and then revert back to their country-dumb stupidity and misplaced arrogance. Sadly, like the Cubs, this franchise has such a perpetual stream of $ they'll never completely blow this mofo up like it needs to be. Clipping Angelo will only solve one problem. The McCaskey's still own it, and it's still being run by Ted Phillips...ie it's being run like NHL franchises like the St Louis Blues and Philly Flyers and the ownership runs the show like it's 1975. >>

Couldn't agree more. This franchise is in disrepair on many levels. There's a lot more to it than Cutler or Jerry Angelo or Chris Williams. There is no expectation of greatness here. It's sad.

In this day and age when you have so much visibility into how the best franchises are run, it is depressing to have to watch the incompetence here in comparison.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On the plus side, Cutler has found his go to receiver. 4 catches for 92 yards and a TD. image

Robert >>

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me a few seconds to get that joke ... but that was really funny!

As a Skins fan, I can totally relate to the frustration of your team not focusing harder on building a strong O-line. Every year we talk about it, and every year we duct tape it all up ... then it ends up being our downfall.

When we drafted a young LT with our first pick this year I thought for sure we'd trade for another top linemen and finally get this thing turned around. Instead, we rolled the dice again on some older average linemen, screwed around with other parts of the team that didn't need messing with ... and now it's showing up as the easiest way to shut down our offense.

We always blame our QB's, RB's, wide receivers and offensive play calling for most of our troubles ... but none of these guys have a chance, if the line is constantly getting blown apart and you don't have time to execute your plays.

I often think back to alot of the players we've gone through over the past 10 years, and always wonder how much better they could have preformed if we just would have built a better O-line.

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options

<< <i>Jay, your o-line is almost as bad and the amount of injuries the pack have sustained I don't see them going far.
    I'm right there with you on the bears off season moves. I don't have a problem with Cutler or Peppers, but they didn't need Chester Taylor. They should have put that money in the o-line and drafted some o-lineman in the past decade. >>

i didnt know that i said anything predicting anything about my pack in my post. however, either bears, pack or vikes make the playoffs. i dont see the vikes doing it after thier 2-4 start and having to go to the Pats this week. they still have the bears twice, pack once, at Wash, Giants at home, at Philly. the do have the cards and bills at home and on the road to the lions. the pack and bears have nearly the same schedule of teams left so it should be interesting.

though i would agree with you on the injuires. as for the oline i dont think its as bad as you think. the vikes didnt get to rodgers at all and they didnt even double team allen. but they have had their issues as well at times. just not the all out jail breaks. buts its hard to lose that many players to IR and think you can do much. but who knows. al harris and bigby should be back in a week or two. now they just need to get their dlineman healthy again. the other night they only had 3 dlineman that could go the whole game.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    2011 season bump.
    The Bears still have the worst offensive line in the league.
    The Bears still have the worst receivers in the league.
    It's all Jay Cutler's fault because he slouches on the sidelines and stands by himself.
    If I was Matt Forte I would wait for free agency so he could play on a real offense.
    Has anyone seen the Bears 2nd round draft choice Stephen Paea? I don't think he has been active for the season yet, lol. Another high draft pick BUST for Angelo.
    Maybe Paea, who can bench 225 1000 times, can hang out with that guy Angelo drafted a couple years ago who can jump out of a pool.image
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Why though did Martz decide to only run the ball 12 times? 5 rushes the last three quarters! How predictable play calling for the defense. The o-line can't pass protect and are receivers can not get open,yet we throw the ball almost every down. Just give the ball to Forte every play,run or pass! lol No Gabe Carimi or Lance Louis next week it might get even uglier.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2011 season bump.
    The Bears still have the worst offensive line in the league.
    The Bears still have the worst receivers in the league.
    It's all Jay Cutler's fault because he slouches on the sidelines and stands by himself.
    If I was Matt Forte I would wait for free agency so he could play on a real offense.
    Has anyone seen the Bears 2nd round draft choice Stephen Paea? I don't think he has been active for the season yet, lol. Another high draft pick BUST for Angelo.
    Maybe Paea, who can bench 225 1000 times, can hang out with that guy Angelo drafted a couple years ago who can jump out of a pool.image >>

image, amazing that the Bears can be competitive and make the playoffs w/ the terrible drafts that they have.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    if the packers d plays like they did yesterday they'll only have 1 or 2 sacks.
  • Options

<< <i>if the packers d plays like they did yesterday they'll only have 1 or 2 sacks. >>

yeah but the bears will only score TD's twice in the redzone, one when the game is nearly over!! oh and I will take the 3 INTS again!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    It looks like the Chicago media is finally catching up to me on this issue.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Mike Martz... image Gotta Go!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>if the packers d plays like they did yesterday they'll only have 1 or 2 sacks. >>

yeah but the bears will only score TD's twice in the redzone, one when the game is nearly over!! oh and I will take the 3 INTS again!!! >>

wow i was pretty close...only 2 td's, but one wasnt in the redzone, and that one with about less then half of the 4th left down 17. only 2 ints, 3rd was negated by and flag on rugghing the passer.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    probably not an occasion for backpatting when in reality 14 Bear points were taken off of the board by the zebras with phantom or no-calls. Every Packer fan must have sent the collective zebra crew their personal rations of freshly slayed venison for the week to get those two TDs erased. I'm guessing Lovie & staff are still looking for the holding call on that Knox runback, not to mention, which individual ref Charles Woodson has beastiality photos on with that interference no-call after Hester dusted him.

Mike Martz... Gotta Go!

why? What's the folly of game-planning for 1999?

Edit: just read, and had no idea, the Bears are $19M under the salary cap. Awesome. The Bears are the Nashville Predators of the NFL. Of course in Nashville's case, they're a low revenue organization whereas the Bears print money and sell PSLs for $5.3K-$16K alone.
  • Options
    BLOW IT UP!
  • Options
    wow, almost a year to the date of the first post!!

maybe next year.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance they will hire Matt Millen? He is available. image

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Any chance they will hire Matt Millen? He is available >>

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Imagine what the Bears will do w/ draft picks that actually pan out.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.