Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Pedigree'd My Registry Set (Lots of Photo's)

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
(Best Viewed at Full Screen)

Well, after sitting on my Eisenhower Complete Varieties Proof #1 Spot for two years in a row, I decided to go ahead and take advantage of the free Pedigree Service that PCGS offers for registry participants. I also decided that since the coins would be reholdered, I might as well get them Trueviewed while I was at it.

The results are at the Shared Orders page.

There are no PR70DCAM's and after looking at the Trueviews, I must admit that I'm not really that impressed with some of the coins and wish I'd have taken better care at assembling the set.

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

SUMMARY

The only coins of any real note are the varieties which were very difficult to locate and then get attributed since Eisenhower Doubled Dies can be very tricky!

That FS-103 1971-S (Row 1 Right) is extremely difficult and usually commands a very strong premium. This one was picked up off Teletrade in a PR67CAM slab. In leiu of cracking, dipping and resubmitting, it was sent as a crossover which resulted in the downgrade/upgrade. Given the premium I paid, I didn't want to risk PCGS not attributing the coin for whatever reason since these are very close to 3 other DDO's.

image .. image .. image .. image

The FS-106 1971-S (Row 2 Left) was purchased raw in a 2x2 at one of the Sacramento coin shows from a fellow IKE collector. He knew it was a doubled die, he just didn't know which one. To be perfectly honest, neither did I but I paid him a slight premium ($25) for the coin anyway. When I got home, the die was obvious. A lot of the Eisenhower doubled dies really need a microscope with controlled lighting to appreciate the doubling which is why so many pay no attention to them. Of course, this is also true of many doubled dies across many different coin series and I expect that if the IKE doubled dies were that obvious, the popularity AND prices would be well beyond my financial capabilities!

MAKE NO MISTAKE, there are some SIGNIFICANT doubled die IKEs which can and often do illicit a slight gasp followed by a near excremental release!

(BTW, I'd like this 1971-S DDR-005 (PR-5-R-V-CCW from K-7) included in the Complete Proof Variety Set! image )

The FS-101 1972-S (Row 3 Left) was an interesting coin purchased from yet another Northern California coin show dealer. I could clearly see the tripling at the show and made the mistake of mentioning it to the dealer. He promptly charged me the full price of $14.95 as listed on the 2x2 instead of offering me the coin for $10.00 as most dealers usually do. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut.

The FS-101 1973-S (Row 4 Right) is another one of those coins which can be fairly difficult to locate and then get attributed. It exhibits tripling on the motto and on the lower serif of the R. The Trueviews are more than likely shot head on and don't necessarily optimize the view to highlight the doubling and tripling on some of the coins.

As they say on eBay, Thanks for looking!
As an aside, I got tired of pulling up the PCGSCoinFacts page on these varieties and looking at the "Image Coming Soon" so I let Ron Guth know the coins were getting Trueviewed and he added the images to the coin facts pages.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Lee.....Nice looking set.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Nice set. Photographing proof coins is tricky. Great close up shots, the doubling is pretty extreme on the 71 S.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>I decided to go ahead and take advantage of the free Pedigree Service that PCGS
    offers for registry participants. I also decided that since the coins would be reholdered,
    I might as well get them Trueviewed while I was at it. >>

What did you name it?

"19Lyds Complete Collection of Eisenhower Proofs with Current PCGS Varieties"

Is a tad longer than 22 Characters....... image

imageimageimage
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we see one of the slabs which show the pedigree label?

GrandAm image

P.S. The shared order link doesn't work image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I decided to go ahead and take advantage of the free Pedigree Service that PCGS
    offers for registry participants. I also decided that since the coins would be reholdered,
    I might as well get them Trueviewed while I was at it. >>

What did you name it?

"19Lyds Complete Collection of Eisenhower Proofs with Current PCGS Varieties"

Is a tad longer than 22 Characters....... image

imageimageimage >>

Lydston Collection
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>image

Can we see one of the slabs which show the pedigree label?

GrandAm image

P.S. The shared order link doesn't work image >>

When I get them back, yes.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lydston Collection < < < < Nice Brotha imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on an awesome set!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Leeimage
  • Options

image NICE SET ...............
    Rod
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Set!!

Congratulations Lee!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Sample:

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Nice.........Lee

Something you don't see everyday and well earned.......image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrandAm :)