Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

CICF/ANA Chicago

If anyone is planning on attending the CICF in April, 2011 (15-17, I think) and or ANA in August, 2011, I would love to meet for dinner or at the show for socializing with some fellow Darksiders.

I am thinking about possibly exhibiting if I can get some key pieces in place in time for the shows.

I know this is pretty far off but it seems like that planning anything takes forever.

Nick

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be sharing a CICF table with Dirk Lobbers. You are more than welcome to bring some wine and host a Darksider Happy Hour at our table.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    How does the CICF compare to the NYINC?

Chicago in April could be fun.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the CICF compare to the NYINC?

NYINC is much better, but CICF is still a really good show.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I've been pretty much all around the country, but still have not somehow made it to New York. That is definitely on the to do list.

One of the things I have been lucky enough to enjoy as someone who grew up in the city and its environs is the culinary scene here in Chicago. There is something for nearly every possibly nationality/ethnicity as well as price range. The food, wine and liquor selection is simply overwhelming if you don't take your time and take a piecemeal approach.

Speaking of wine, if you invite me to your table with the thought of drinking wine, I may show up with two empties and two more...it could get ugly early!

For those of you who would like to check out a really cool website of two of my favorite shopkeeps, there are two places I would recommend looking at online before making it to Chicago. Binny's Liquor Depot (I think it is Depot) has a ridiculous ridiculous selection of spirits at really reasonable prices. I swear their whiskey selection is two supermarket aisles alone. Pastoral Artisan is a three shop venture that specializes in artisan/hand-crafted cheese, wine, bread and meats. Gourmet all the way and the prices are so within reach. This is the kind of place that will have a wine appreciation class for an afternoon for forty bucks but also have three or four free tastings (parties, really) a month. I am not affiliated in any way with either of these companies except for as a customer but I like for places I like to do well.

The best thing I can say about Pastoral is that I went up to the Sommelier and told him I needed two bottles of wine and all I knew where the type of wine my friend liked. I told him I knew nothing about wine except for what tasted good and that I just needed to buy them today. The Sommelier pretty much could have had my entire wallet and I walked away with two bottles my friend loved for under $13 apiece.

worth a look...
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'll be at NYINC, not sure about Chicago yet, that's a long time away.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I most likely will have a table at both.

But if you take Mr Eureka up on his invite, I will bring the gourmet cheese.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is starting to sound really good. Maybe I need to make CICF after all! I'll bring my appetite.... image
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How does the CICF compare to the NYINC?

NYINC is much better, but CICF is still a really good show. >>

Andy:

You always bring some interesting spiritsimage CICF now has a Heritage Foreign auction and this may in the future make for a better show. I think it did this year. See you in Chicago.

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.

<< <i>CICF now has a Heritage Foreign auction and this may in the future make for a better show. I think it did this year. >>

3Mark brings up an interesting point--one I had been wondering about too. Do you think the fact that Heritage has the CICF auction rather than Ponterio (who had it for many years prior) makes CICF a better show now?

Irrespective of the online presence, does Heritage get better consignments? Or do they make a better show in some other way?

Keep in mind that the Heritage world coin auction at CICF is not new, it was simply moved from the Spring Long Beach venue to CICF.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>CICF now has a Heritage Foreign auction and this may in the future make for a better show. I think it did this year. >>

3Mark brings up an interesting point--one I had been wondering about too. Do you think the fact that Heritage has the CICF auction rather than Ponterio (who had it for many years prior) makes CICF a better show now?

Irrespective of the online presence, does Heritage get better consignments? Or do they make a better show in some other way?

Keep in mind that the Heritage world coin auction at CICF is not new, it was simply moved from the Spring Long Beach venue to CICF. >>

Heritage, in conjunction with CICF, is new. And yes, their presence will definitely improve the quality and breadth of World offerings at the CICF venue; at least IMHO.

The fact that HA moved the Spring World sale probably speaks more volumes about LB, which has been a 'dwindling' show for the last several years (at least to hear the Lightsiders tell it). Plus, Chicago (Rosemont) is closer to Europe/UK. Of course, Chi-town adds 4 hours more pain to the Asians and Russians, but hey, they're rich and fly first class anyway. image

Lastly, Ponterio's old online presence was extremely painful; like extracting an abscessed tooth with a hammer and chisel.

One last bit for Nick; I'm partial to Clynelish in a new oak finish barrel - 15-20 year old is a good range. Thanks! imageimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can one see the Rosemont arena from the L going into Chicago? Or was there a name change to Allstate Arena?

I wouldn't mind going-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

There are trains that go out to Rosemont/Allstate Arena but not the L. The L stays in the city proper.

Mac: I'm sure you like Clynelish. But that is a bit lowbrow for me. I prefer the sophisticated taste of Milwaukee's Best. Light, that is.

<< <i>Lastly, Ponterio's old online presence was extremely painful; like extracting an abscessed tooth with a hammer and chisel. >>

Old? Some might argue the current one is too. image
  • I'm hoping to make it to Chicago this year (cancer permitting) for CICF. I hear that the auction is LARGE in size! Would love to meet any fellow darksiders!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are trains that go out to Rosemont/Allstate Arena but not the L. The L stays in the city proper. >>

The River Road/Rosemont stop on the Blue Line will get you very close to the CICF Hotel. The stop is at 5800 N River Rd, the hotel is at 5440 N River Rd. An easy walk in April.

coinkat, They may have renamed the Rosemont Horizon, but to us throwbacks it's still the Rosemont Horizon. Just like it's still Comiskey Park, the Calumet Expressway, the Standard Oil Building and the Sears Tower. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not Comiskey Park anymore?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Ajaan!

Sacrilege! They took away our blessed Comiskey for the lousy "US Cellular" which I am not certain is even in business anymore.

Civitas: sounds like someone was a South Sider!
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This could be a good chance for me to start using some of the last year's vacation time before it expires in May. If I manage to build-up to coin budget to a degree that would make it worth the trip - i'm in. Will know for sure closer to the end of February.

Perhaps I'll even teach a few Darksiders how to do proper vodka shots...
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US Cellular??? You've got to be kidding! I've always thought it was Comiskey Park. Guess I have to get out more.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>US Cellular??? You've got to be kidding! I've always thought it was Comiskey Park. Guess I have to get out more. >>

Sheesh, da Sox played at Kaminski Park..........and ajaan, the White Sox have been playing at the "new" Comiskey for 20 years. Btw, OJ no longer plays with the Bills either. image
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I'm kicking around the idea of a Ludwig Gies exhibit for the Chicago show in August...time permitting. The collection has doubled in size and therefore a complete redo of the original exhibit a couple years ago is in order. I may ship it ahead of me and ride my Harley out from Oregon image