Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970's PSA Football: Undervalued?

Does anyone else find themselves amazed by how cheaply one can purchase NFL PSA 10's from the late 70's? Everytime I search it seems like these cards are going for $10-$20, which-- to put this in perspective-- is about what you can get for a random Ripken PSA 10 from the 1990's.

Here's Exhibit A.. True, Joiner is no Johnny U. in the pantheon of NFL HOFers, but still- he has been enshrined in Canton, he played for a high-profile team, and it's only a pop 4. To me, getting this card for $20 shipped would feel like an incredible bargain (if I was the high bidder, which I'm not), if only because sooner or later I would suspect that I'll have an opportunity to sell this card for $200.

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's absurdly cheap.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that cut is fugly.....cleaner borders and dead nuts centering would have earned that card more $.
  • Options

<< <i>that cut is fugly.....cleaner borders and dead nuts centering would have earned that card more $. >>

Agree. That's an 8 in my sub.

Just for comparison, here are the 4 recorded sales in VCP:

9/26/10 eBay Auction | Image just_collect 5***5 4 $15.50
    5/9/10 eBay Auction | Image just_collect 2***r 9 $72.50
    6/24/08 eBay Image 4_sharp_corners mikescardcloset 4 $153.50
    4/22/08 eBay Image rose-city-sports-2 chargerfan-14 8 $183.50
  • Options
    Morning,
    Darn thing looks like an OPC cut and gets a 10!! If I sub'd it it would be an 8 all day!!

Wow!!!
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree Boo. Here's what I consider to be another bargain:

1974 Topps Doug Swift

There's 3 other recent 1974 Topps Football PSA 10 sales at $9.99.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree Boo. Here's what I consider to be another bargain:

1974 Topps Doug Swift

There's 3 other recent 1974 Topps Football PSA 10 sales at $9.99. >>

Good catch, Tom. There's another one that sold for a song. Sure, it's a pop 14, but $10? That seems way too low. Maybe the fact that the seller went 3rd person in the auction description turned off some potential buyers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree Boo. Here's what I consider to be another bargain:

1974 Topps Doug Swift

There's 3 other recent 1974 Topps Football PSA 10 sales at $9.99. >>

Good catch, Tom. There's another one that sold for a song. Sure, it's a pop 14, but $10? That seems way too low. Maybe the fact that the seller went 3rd person in the auction description turned off some potential buyers. >>

He got smarter though, he's got his other 10's starting at higher prices now....does away with some of the AW Fudge!! factor, "I Can't believe my 10 just went for $9.99"!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Free MOSH.
  • Options
    Maybe there's too much emphasis placed on the population report?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the NFL is the best run league, but they don't do a very good job highlighting their past players. MLB is in a class by themselves when it comes to celebrating the past. Even mid-level MLB players get more run than most NFL Hall of Famers.

I do agree that 1970's PSA Football is undervalued. It's been that way for a while and I don't know if they will ever be "properly valued". It has all of the elements of a good investment - popular sport, lower print runs, etc - but it just hasn't moved.

Certian rookies go for decent coin - Staubach, Bradshaw, Dorsett. I am surprised how cheap a 1975 Dan Fouts PSA 9 can be won. Also once in a while I see a Steeler RC like Webster or Lambert go for big bucks.
    Mike