Home U.S. Coin Forum

AU-65?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageimage

I picked this Indian cent up for $3.00 at the Antique shop today. Looks pretty sharp for that price .... I see rub but a very clean hit free planchet...
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    High grade details, but I think the obverse have been cleaned
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • very nice for the price

I like the L and the little ball on the feather
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Look at it closer- has it been whizzed?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at it closer- has it been whizzed? >>

It's not whizzed, and I'm not sure copper can be whizzed (the metal is much harder than gold or silver).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Coin should not have that toning pattern as a business strike. I would say it's definitely been cleaned but it's still pretty attractive for the price.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    For $3, I'da jumped on it. I think it looks good, possibly cleaned, but I like it.
    imageimage

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    As others have stated, something's really funky about that obverse, probably an old cleaning or something. But for $3, I think you did okay.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for $3 you did good
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look at it closer- has it been whizzed? >>

It's not whizzed, and I'm not sure copper can be whizzed (the metal is much harder than gold or silver). >>

Copper can absolutely be whizzed. I'm not suggesting the coin posted in this thread has been (to the contrary, it doesn't appear as such), but copper can be whizzed. I owned an 1803 large cent in years past that was.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    I had a piece a long time ago that I AT'd by heat numerous times to see what the effect would be, between times I would dip it again. Every time I did this cycle the wear on the high points would stick out bright pink, if anything it was a good tool to see where to look for slider friction.

This is an old picture of the coin, I have no idea where the coin is today, to take better photos of it.
    This is a tough one to swallow...I payed $3.00 for this coin that obviously has some rub, but cleaned, or whizzed? I sure don't know what you guys are talking about! Where on this coin do ya see any signs of cleaning? So I guess it was just cleaned on one side, huh? I see no signs of cleaning, I see no hair lines. So I don't get it. For the amount I payed for the coin it's not like I'm taking a huge loss if there is a problem with this coin, but it sure would be nice to know where you all see signs of cleaning.......Thanks
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a tough one to swallow...I payed $3.00 for this coin that obviously has some rub, but cleaned, or whizzed? I sure don't know what you guys are talking about! Where on this coin do ya see any signs of cleaning? So I guess it was just cleaned on one side, huh? I see no signs of cleaning, I see no hair lines. So I don't get it. For the amount I payed for the coin it's not like I'm taking a huge loss if there is a problem with this coin, but it sure would be nice to know where you all see signs of cleaning.......Thanks >>

It's a little hard to tell about the reverse---since you didn't post a photo of it. IMHO, the coin has definitely been to see the "coin doctor". But, that being said, I think you got a real bargain at the price you paid.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Oops! Sorry I pressed the button twice.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a little hard to tell about the reverse---since you didn't post a photo of it. IMHO, the coin has definitely been to see the "coin doctor". But, that being said, I think you got a real bargain at the price you paid.

I agree with the above statement.....
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Looks cleaned to me
    I suck at grading copper, no question at this point. Not so much grading them as knowing the difference from A/T from N/T. And the cleaning on copper such as this one, I just don't see it. Most of the time when folks say "cleaned" I'm looking for "wiping" But I just don't see the hair lines. If the coin was dipped, it would look the same on both sides, wouldn't it? And if it was "baked" it would look the same on both sides, wouldn't it? And if it was A/T why on only one side? Just does not compute....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file