Home U.S. Coin Forum

My report from the Whitman Philadelphia show

I just returned from the show this evening. I wish I could go back tomorrow as I didn't do enough exploring there. Basically, I felt like it was a small version of Baltimore, but a more comfortable and low key venue. Excellent commute from 30th st Station, and if you ride Amtrak, the trip from the SEPTA line is free (you just show your Amtrak ticket). It is a 10 buck savings. Tons of great food shops across the street at great prices.

Now, the coins stuff. PCGS was sorely missed and I wish they would have been there. There was plenty of bullion trading and my feel was that dealers were willing to negotiate. Saw a gorgeous PR 64 Barber quarter which was priced at 1350 in a PCGS, a stunner. I bought only one coin given my time constraints, an 1886-s morgan in 64 (pcgs) that I am going to send in for a regrade. Man, I do love coin shows...

Comments

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
    Like what else? Who was buying what and at what price? That's why I would love to go back if I could. Seemed like there was action to be had, some primo stuff available. got 14.8x for my junk silver, 21 each for my silver eagles, 17 bucks for average morgans, 5.8x for 40% clad...
  • Thanks for your (brief image ) report...

From my perspective, the show was busy yet moderately attended. Given the rainy weather, I was pleased to see that some folks still came out. The mood was upbeat with some minor buzz. I was pretty much tied down to my table throughout the day with little "off" time. (unfortunately, on a personal note, I spent most of the day with major stomach cramps... likely from my first venture into scrapple at breakfast)...

Anyway... yesterday logs in as my all-time record day for highest sales volume in a single day... with a catch... NOT ONE SINGLE RETAIL SALE... I sold many slabs and raw coins... Morgans, short-set Walkers... Barber, Bust, Seated... even a few Buffalo Nickels (they have been noticeably slow of late, at least to my experience)... and I got good to strong money on all of it... I do prefer selling directly to the collectors... but when doing a large show, any business can be good business...

I was also able to make quite a few good purchases of some raw type along with a few slabs... all of which will return with me to NJ for the Parsippany show on Sunday. I did not see any frowns among the dealers I saw but can not really comment on their experience yesterday...

One "cool" sighting... LS... having fun and joking around with folks... AND smiling... image ... however, when I did step up to comment that I might just have to post this sighting on the forum, she shot me a little bit of a wary frown... I asked her to please not add me to the list of 'weenies"... and I do continue to like her image...

Other forum members were present who stopped by... abitofthisabitofthat ... Tom B... Broadstruck sharing a table with Ponyexpress... WTCG... of course other forum member dealers were in attendance...

Hopefully, today, with better weather (and my stomach feeling much better) will be a good day at the show... and I hope to see more collector turnout... perhaps I will rack up my first retail sale (don't worry...not for moon money image )...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file