Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

is the best way to fill a Dansco 7070 to buy graded coins and break them out?

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
To prevent fake/altered coins from getting into your collection?

I just purchased my first Dansco album image

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most 7070 coins are not going to be difficult to purchase raw . . . but some are. As you move into better coins, your radar has to go up a bit. A steel cent is irrelevant in a holder, just buy a nice one. But when you move into the Classic Cent, or a Reeded Half . . . it's time to be picky and perhaps go for a holdered coin and crack it.

In other words . . a sliding scale. But the 7070 is one of the most enjoyable experiences in numismatics . . you'll love it!

Drunner
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    More than 2/3 of my 7070 coins were cracked from holders. I kept the inserts for reference.
    I felt more comfortable doing it that way for the coins I don't specialize in.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most 7070 coins are not going to be difficult to purchase raw . . . but some are. As you move into better coins, your radar has to go up a bit. A steel cent is irrelevant in a holder, just buy a nice one. But when you move into the Classic Cent, or a Reeded Half . . . it's time to be picky and perhaps go for a holdered coin and crack it.

In other words . . a sliding scale. But the 7070 is one of the most enjoyable experiences in numismatics . . you'll love it!

Drunner >>

I have to agree. It's a great way to visit all the major types. Instead of collecting one or two series to the end, which I think is a lost art and/or goal, there's much enjoyment in the whole 7070 experience. I have seen members start and half way through they change the condition of the coins so you have to think how do you want the set to look. I want my set to have some color...album toning where possible. I've seen sets where all coins are F or VF with the same kind of patina. I've seen high end ones that are breathless, unreachable but appreciated.

The best part of the 7070 set is that you can create it anyway you want, but you have to set some goals because it's an investment whether or not you intend to make it one.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be against the law to crack out PCGS coins!!!!

Why not just ask BJ to build a 7070 set on the Registry. I'm sure she would do it. Sounds like there is enough interest.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From our very own illini420: Cracker's Remorse - Second Thoughts on the Dansco 7070 U.S. Type Set >>

Thanks for posting the link image

I know there is now a "7070 set" over on the NGC Registry. It didn't exist over there when I was cracking away, otherwise I may have jumped into that registry set at the time.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    When I did my first 7070, almost all of the coins were crackouts and I pasted the labels on the back inside of the back cover. It was amix of proof and business strikes. I wasn't so much concerned with what TPG they were, just the coin. I had a few NGC, several ICG, one ACG, and the rest were PCGS. That 7070 wound up being sold out from under me while I was in Japan in 07.

I have recently started another, or rather my wife started it for me. She really knew little about grading, she just got a few coins that dshe thought were nice and relatively inexpensive and surprised me with it one birthday. They were mostly VF-XF, so this album is going to be the same throughout.

The 7070 is a fun way to collect, at least for me. And you can do it on nearly any budget level.
    imageimage

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, the Trade Dollar is an important coin to crackout instead of buying raw
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, the Trade Dollar is an important coin to crackout instead of buying raw >>

I agree, and would add the Seated Dollar to that list.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    p.s. I have cracked out approximately 25% of the coins in my Dansco.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way for me is the ONLY way. And for me, that's having fun doing it without cracking out. However, if that's the only way I can get one in, I try to find "off brand" slabs. Still, I don't mind a problem coin when filling up albums with coins. As long as the problems are discussed when selling, this ____ is fun.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    It should be against the law to crack out PCGS coins!!!!

Guilty, guilty, guilty...

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on the Whitman version but for the challenge and learning experience I'm trying to do it raw. I have and will buy again someone else's crackouts for it, though.

I suspect I will do the early coppers last..
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    What about a Dansco 7070 album that was created to insert a holdered coin? It would be huge obviously, but multi-volumes would help.....
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From our very own illini420: Cracker's Remorse - Second Thoughts on the Dansco 7070 U.S. Type Set >>

Thanks for posting the link image

I know there is now a "7070 set" over on the NGC Registry. It didn't exist over there when I was cracking away, otherwise I may have jumped into that registry set at the time. >>

i want to show appreciation for the efforts here and countless others on this forum

imageimageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file