Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census Needs You!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just saw this service on the PCGS Website tonight.

**************************************************************************************************************

PCGS CoinFacts™ is compiling a Condition Census for every United States coin... a list of the ten finest known specimens for all U.S. coins including Colonials, Patterns and Territorials. It's a massive multi-year project. A lot of the work has already been done and you can view it at pcgscoinfacts.com. But there's still a lot of work to do, including imaging all of the Condition Census coins. We need images and if you have a Condition Census coin, we can image your coin and promote it on the PCGS CoinFacts website. So ask yourself...

Is your coin one of the finest known of its variety?

Would you like to have a professional photograph of your coin?

Would you like to have your coin recognized as part of the PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census?

If you answered yes to each of these questions, then we have an offer for you! And there are two easy ways you can participate in this special offer:

Submit your coin for grading through PCGS Secure Plus™ at the standard fee, and; if it is a Condition Census candidate, we will take a TrueView™ photograph at no additional charge (a $20 savings). Your coin will then take its place of recognition as a member of the PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census. The TrueView photograph will of course be available to you as well.
OR

Submit your coin simply for photographing and, if it is a Condition Census candidate, we will take a TrueView photo and reholder your coin in a PCGS Secure Plus holder for only $20 (a $20 savings). Your coin will then take its place of recognition as a member of the PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census. The TrueView photograph will of course also be available to you.
Plus, if you have a Condition Census coin photographed under this special offer we will give you - at no additional charge - a one-month subscription to PCGS CoinFacts! Or if you're already a PCGS CoinFacts subscriber we will extend your subscription one month for free! (Limit one free month subscription per person.)

This is a limited-time offer. In the case of ties for Condition Census, coins will be acknowledged in the order they are received.

Give your coins the recognition they deserve by becoming part of the PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census!

To take advantage of this offer, simply complete your submission form as usual and write "Condition Census Offer" in the "Other" box at the top of the submission form. If you have any questions call PCGS Customer Service at 800-447-8848.

PCGS Link

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this email a month+ ago and found it interesting. Already, as part of the PCGS Grading Terms & Conditions on the back of the submission forms...in section 13...it says they can take photos of your coins and do whatever they want with them. I submitted a coin to them just a couple of months ago that is FINEST KNOWN by 9 points, is perfectly white, has full bands etc....I kinda wonder if they photographed it for Coin Facts but have no idea since I do not subscribe. Heck my coin is only the second one graded by PCGS and is the ONLY Full Split Band Merc of this variety known. I would think they would have photographed it since it took them a week longer to process that coin than it took them to process the others sent in at the same time. They should have for sure. When they grade a coin and realize it is top of the condition census I would think alarm bells would go off so the photographer can intercept the coin and photograph it prior to it leaving the facility....but maybe not....and now they want us to send coins like this in...and pay money. I don't understand.....kinda confused really.

In my set below if interested... 1942-D/D

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can check if they imaged the coin by checking the cert #. If a image comes up, then they did.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can check if they imaged the coin by checking the cert #. If a image comes up, then they did. >>

No photo came up. That is carzy they did not take the opportunity...
    1942-D/D
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped off some condition census coins for regrade at the PCGS table at Long Beach. I mentioned this condition census imaging offer and even had a print out from the website and the folks working the table didn't seem to know about the offer or how to request it on the forms they were preparing for my submission. They ended up writing "Census Consideration" in the "other" line on the form so I guess we'll see if any of them get imaged image
  • Options
    Well I got my set back a couple of weeks ago after sending it in for regrading. Still haven't had TrueView photos uploaded with my certification numbers, but the pics were put up on CoinFacts a couple of weeks ago. For now I just copied those photos into my set until the TrueView photos are done up. I think the pics came out pretty nice...

My 1909 Mint Set w/ new pics

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found my 1947 s/s FS-504 Lincoln in Coinfacts. MS66RD pop2/0. Had no idea they photo'd it, didn't authorize. Is this common? Anyone else? Not complaining. Just unsure
    of the rules, or rights of a Submitter when it comes to imaging submitted coins. Shag
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can check if they imaged the coin by checking the cert #. If a image comes up, then they did. >>

This wasn't true in my case. Just looked up cert.# and no pic. Reviewed my coin and the Coinfacts images, NO doubt it's my coin. imageShag
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    While I applaud the effort, and understand it costs PCGS time and money, I really don't see the reason a collector would pay additional monsy to let PCGS put it in their census. If it's one of the finest PCGS graded coins you can find that out just from the pop reports. Note I said finest "PCGS graded" not finest known. I have several finest graded coins, but I know for a fact some of them are not the finest "known".
  • Options
    Uhh.. I don't want to sound too snide. If I thought I had the finest example of a coin and I saw an ad wanting to image all the best coins. I would think, yeah right.. Why would I send my coin to someone to photograph? Regardless of insurance I would never see that coin again!
  • Options

<< <i>Uhh.. I don't want to sound too snide. If I thought I had the finest example of a coin and I saw an ad wanting to image all the best coins. I would think, yeah right.. Why would I send my coin to someone to photograph? Regardless of insurance I would never see that coin again! >>

It's PCGS, they handle millions of dollars worth of coins everyday. image, but welcome to the forum image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I got my set back a couple of weeks ago after sending it in for regrading. Still haven't had TrueView photos uploaded with my certification numbers, but the pics were put up on CoinFacts a couple of weeks ago. For now I just copied those photos into my set until the TrueView photos are done up. I think the pics came out pretty nice...

My 1909 Mint Set w/ new pics

image >>

Oh My.... SVDB-MS67RD!! What What?

I like the 09VDB67 more than the 67+ at least from the photos. What am I missing? ...someones needs to learn me sumthin
  • Options

<< <i>Oh My.... SVDB-MS67RD!! What What? >>

Well... it is for the moment... I thought the coin upgraded to 67RD when I sent my set in for regrading/imaging. I'm now informed by PCGS that they are claiming to have made several errors with my SecurePlus submission, including errors regarding this coin. I still don't know exactly what was messed up and what wasn't, but it really doesn't make me feel good about sending my set in under SecurePlus. I have been asked to send my entire set back to PCGS for another regrade so I'm not too hopeful about that upgrade on the SVDB sticking for too long image

<< <i>I like the 09VDB67 more than the 67+ at least from the photos. What am I missing? ...someones needs to learn me sumthin >>

The photos of the 67+ are photos taken by Bowers & Merena while the coin is in the slab and aren't very good photos as they show little to no luster. The photo of my other VDB included, which is now in a 66+RD holder but again subject to change depending on whether PCGS screwed that one up in my order as well, was taken of the coin outside of the slab and does a better job with the color/luster.

I only bid on the 67+RD example because I had seen it in hand a few times previously and knew it was a monster coin, regardless of how the B&M photos made it look. I also bid on it because I thought my other VDB downgraded to 66+, which may not be true image
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    Having more information available to the coin collecting community is beneficial to almost everyone concerned. I hope that many collectors take advantage of the offer cited in the OP. Besides, it would be great to see more condition census coins imaged and listed on PCGSCoinFacts.

Also, in terms of stemming grade-inflation and discouraging coin doctoring, the benefits of the PCGS SecurePlus program are immeasurable.

I enjoy discussing the condition rankings of rarities:

Coin Rarities & Related Topics: 1856-O Double Eagles and other Great Rarities that I have seen

Husak 1793 Liberty Cap Realized $632,500 – Why?

Understanding the Auction Record For an 1894-S dime - 10/23/07

Which are the finest 1894-S Dimes? 07/31/07

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh My.... SVDB-MS67RD!! What What? >>

Well... it is for the moment... I thought the coin upgraded to 67RD when I sent my set in for regrading/imaging. I'm now informed by PCGS that they are claiming to have made several errors with my SecurePlus submission, including errors regarding this coin. I still don't know exactly what was messed up and what wasn't, but it really doesn't make me feel good about sending my set in under SecurePlus. I have been asked to send my entire set back to PCGS for another regrade so I'm not too hopeful about that upgrade on the SVDB sticking for too long image

>>

Uhhhhh.... I am confused. You got the coin back after submitting it for grading and they are demanding that you send YOUR coin back for potentially, the purpose of devaluation? I guess you have a working relationship with them that is more valuable than the potential down grade, that is why you are sending it back?

Okay I am really new here and my mama told me.. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Besides, this is a post some weekend copper. Looks like more weekend than copper!

• Options
    Wrong thread!! OOOOOOPS

Everyone send their best coins and $20 to PCGS to get featured in the PCGS census. THanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file