Home Stamps Forum
Options

This worth anything?

Hi - I am not really a stamp guy. Unfortunately I acquired this huge stamp collection that goes from 1800s to 1960s. Most are used cancelled stamps but there are some that are not used. There also is this album that has some used and unused stamps in it.

Here are a few scans I will post more when I get the time...

image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image

The further back into the book the more stamps there are. Most pages are full. I will post more when I can.

Comments

  • Options
    Here are some more...

    I believe these are stamps from 1863?
    image

    Here are some more
    image
    image
    image
    image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know what the confederate stamps are worth, but the others are not worth much (maybe 5-10 cents each retail, close to zero wholesale). The Jefferson album is kind of a cool novelty item, but not worth much more otherwise.
  • Options
    The collection is pretty much what kids put together using their weekly allowance. Not much spent and not worth much. The confederate stamps are fairly common if they are authentic. In their condition maybe 2 dollars apiece.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Ok thank you for your opinions. As I said I am not really a stamp guy. Baseball cards are my thing.

    I personally don't want the collection so I am selling the whole collection on ebay auctions.

    FWIW it wasn't a kid's stamp collection. The Stamp collection was put together by a college professor that lived here in Raleigh, NC in the 50s/60s. The collection was basically on it's way to a landfill (I saved it).

    I would have to say there is at least 2000+ stamps here. 90% of it is used stamps the other 10% is not used.

    Far as the confederate stamps. They appear to be authentic but I don't know for sure. They were purchased in an auction back in 1959. I found the receipt for them from the auction house where they were purchased from. Did people forge them before 1959?

    The collection came with receipts for some of the unused stuff. I also found some cool old letters all about stamps that were hot in the 50s/60s. Some neat stuff IMO.

    The stuff I scanned was just the top layer from the pile. I don't know what is on the bottom. Seems the more I dig down the older the stamps are. There are many many envelopes that are filled with 100s of used stamps. So far I found mostly stamps from the 1922-1931 run. I also found some old foreign stamps as well.

    Thank you again

    Tim
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of crazy, but the Confederate singles like those you show are worth less than actual stamps that were used, especially ones that are still attached to a cover.
    Chat Board Lingo

    "Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I'm just curious. What did you get for it on Ebay?

    Matt
Sign In or Register to comment.