Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Office "Lost" Results of my First Submission

Hey guys. So about a month ago I posted on this board with the results of my first submission. I was pretty happy with the grades I got; I am working on completing the '60 Topps set in 8 or better, and I have been hoping that raw cards I've had for many years would go a long way towards furthering my goal. My first sub was a pretty good indicator that my raw cards will grade out pretty well, so I was pleased. In this sub I also had a '71 Munson that I picked up at the National and was very happy with the PSA 7 grade--he was my boyhood hero and I'd been looking for a nice '71 for a while.

Anyway, those cards are gone now, apparently. PSA and the Post Office have been trying to track down the package for a while, with no luck. The tracking information for the package showed that sorting was complete, but no delivery was ever attempted. Now I am waiting to hear from PSA regarding my compensation for these cards; I'm hopeful that I will be treated fairly, but no matter what I'd still rather have the cards.

Below are the cards, with their certs. If anyone happens to see them pop up, please do let me know. I am most bummed about having to start my '71 Munson search over again; it's not so much finding another PSA 7 (which obviously isn't that hard to do), but I really liked the centering and focus on this one, and 7s seem to vary significantly from card to card with '71 Munsons. The corners and edges on mine were also really nice for a 7. Also, I'm not happy about having to find another '60 Jurges, which is a low pop card.

Here's what I am missing:

1 1 17318054 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 12 MILT PAPPAS Card US
2 1 17318055 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 14 JIM GRANT Card US
3 1 17318056 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 44 BOBBY LOCKE Card US
4 1 17318057 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 65 ELSTON HOWARD Card US
5 1 17318058 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 83 TONY KUBEK Card US
6 1 17318059 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1960 TOPPS 104 DICK SCHOFIELD Card US
7 1 17318060 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1960 TOPPS 132 FRANK HOWARD ROOKIE STAR Card US
8 1 17318061 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1960 TOPPS 185 JIM OWENS Card US
9 1 17318062 NEAR MINT 7 ST 1960 TOPPS 204 RYNE DUREN Card US
10 1 17318063 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1960 TOPPS 220 BILL JURGES Card US
11 1 17318064 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 264 ROBIN ROBERTS Card US
12 1 17318065 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1960 TOPPS 535 WHITEY LOCKMAN Card US
13 1 17318066 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1960 TOPPS 559 LUIS APARICIO ALL STAR Card US
14 1 17318067 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1960 TOPPS 571 BILLY PIERCE ALL STAR Card US
15 1 17318068 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 5 THURMAN MUNSON ALL-STAR ROOKIE Card US

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a bummer. How did PSA send the cards? It's been a while since I submitted. They sent mine back registered which is supposed to be the safest although slow way to ship. Hope they turn up. I am also working on the 60 set. Card #220 is indeed a difficult one in PSA 8.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Yup, it stinks. PSA sent the cards Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation. It has been a month now and the tracking just stopped, so it is unlikely they will turn up, but thanks for the good wishes.

Re registered mail, I was told by PSA that in the future I can request to have any subs returned by registered mail, but they didn't use it for this one. Do you always have to ask for registered mail? Or is that a service level that PSA sometimes chooses to use on their own depending on the value of the cards being returned?
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    That really sucks. PSA stopped using Registered Mail for the return as their policy a few months ago, they changed to Priority. I would go ape-sh1t on the post office.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    holy crap!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow, sorry that happened.

Now they say you can request registered?

That's news to me. How do they estimate the shipping?

Please keep us informed.

I assume PSA has insurance, or at the least they had YOU insure the package?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about your situation.

Man, I would be going nuts especially if it happened with my recent sub loaded
    with low POP Jeters.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man, that really SUCKS! I hope you are compensated well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    That really stinks, unfortunately I imagine your compensation will be limited to whatever your declared value on the submission was.
  • Options
    Make sure you punch in all the certs in a set and call the set lost in mail. That way if cards get found PSA can find out who is punching in the certs and ask them where they got the cards because they were lost in the mail. You following here ? If a person trying punching in any of my certs when i own them i will get an e-mail. This may help you locate these cards down the line.
    Technically you supposed to have the cards in hand but in this case i'm sure they would make an exception to the rule. Besides you paid for cards and paid for grading so as far as i'm concerned you do own them.
    Good Luck !! Hope you find them
    Cheers, Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That really stinks, unfortunately I imagine your compensation will be limited to whatever your declared value on the submission was. >>

Yup. If you listed the Munson as $50, that's what you'll get.

Sorry to hear that and hopefully they eventually show up.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Thanks for all your responses.

Yes, I had insurance on the package. I haven't yet heard from the people at PSA who handle the insurance claims. If they give me as compensation what I listed, across the board, then I will be fine with that. What I am concerned about is that they try to apply a one-way downward ratchet and knock down some cards. If they try to do that I will go nuts and will push this pretty far. We'll see, I'll keep you all posted.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch.
  • Options
    Wow, that is a real bummer! In 5+ years, I've never had a PSA submission go missing, but I would certainly be angry if that happened to me. Do let us know how PSA compensates you for your loss.
  • Options
    wow, sorry to hear that
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After I recently lost a package that was supposely delivered to my house, I changed my delivery address in ebay to my office. At least someone is always here to sign for it.
    Mike
  • Options
    Send in a 1971 Aaron in a bulk sub and declare it at $95 which is normal for a good one....and then PSA ships back a PSA 9 1971 Aaron and it gets lost. Are you telling me that you would only get $95? Would there be no common sense on PSA's part to make sure it's adequately insured. Vintage cards are not usually sent in expecting 9's and 10's.

PSA does a price guide....Would they ship a 64 Mantle PSA 10 insured for $499?

None of this really mattered when the packages were registered mail.

If I send in a sub should I check it always to make sure I catch it when it pops. Would if I got a 9 on a 52 high # common?

Do we now have to say...I think my 64 Mantle is very high grade therefore I send it under the 2 hour service for $200 a card?

I know I'm being silly; but what's the deal on this?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mickey makes some good points.................

I'm stunned.

lol J/K

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear, hopefully everything will turn out ok for you.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    I recently had some very fragile cards that were damaged by PSA during the encapsulation process. They called me when it happened, and basically offered submission vouchers for the declared value of the cards that I put on the form. So, it's possible they *might* start with those amounts when reimbursing you.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If that were the case, then the value theory would have to swing the other way too. If I have a 1964 Mantle valued at $499 and it receives a PSA 5, should I then expect to be reimbursed $130? I think not...
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup, it stinks. PSA sent the cards Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation. It has been a month now and the tracking just stopped, so it is unlikely they will turn up, but thanks for the good wishes.

Re registered mail, I was told by PSA that in the future I can request to have any subs returned by registered mail, but they didn't use it for this one. Do you always have to ask for registered mail? Or is that a service level that PSA sometimes chooses to use on their own depending on the value of the cards being returned? >>

When PSA decided to stop using registered mail I called to protest this decision and was told that there would be no option but to have the cards shipped back Priority. I argued about the better safety of using registered mail and was met with a wall of resistance, plus the "spin" that I would be saving money and get my cards back faster,blah,blah,blah. If you do the math (which I did with my post master) you will find that the postage saved by the submitter is negligible and PSA is reaping 90% of the postal savings. True, the cards get back faster but I would take safety over speedy delivery any day of the week. PSA told me I was the only one to call and protest the switch to Priority....let's see if that changes now.We are saving next to NOTHING by using Priority Mail!
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If that were the case, then the value theory would have to swing the other way too. If I have a 1964 Mantle valued at $499 and it receives a PSA 5, should I then expect to be reimbursed $130? I think not... >>

I would think so - assuming that's the market value of the card in that grade. You insure for market value raw, and should be insured for market value on the return.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Send in a 1971 Aaron in a bulk sub and declare it at $95 which is normal for a good one....and then PSA ships back a PSA 9 1971 Aaron and it gets lost. Are you telling me that you would only get $95? Would there be no common sense on PSA's part to make sure it's adequately insured. Vintage cards are not usually sent in expecting 9's and 10's.

PSA does a price guide....Would they ship a 64 Mantle PSA 10 insured for $499?

None of this really mattered when the packages were registered mail.

If I send in a sub should I check it always to make sure I catch it when it pops. Would if I got a 9 on a 52 high # common?

Do we now have to say...I think my 64 Mantle is very high grade therefore I send it under the 2 hour service for $200 a card?

I know I'm being silly; but what's the deal on this? >>

PSA insures based upon what you declare the value. In your 71 Aaron hypothetical scenario, if that happened to me, I would immediately contact PSA and adjust the insurance accordingly to be on the safe side.

It's not a silly question at all. Personally, I don't mind paying a little more for insurance and not having to worry about it, but that's just me..
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I always mark my estimated value at the high-end graded price. It may cost me a buck or two more in coverage, but it could potentially save me hundreds if the package was lost.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your cards, hope things turn out ok.

I had an issue like this with SGC when I sent in a card that was valued a lot more than i had listed (mistake on my part) and when I called to talk with them, they advised to always put down the HIGHEST value as to what you think it is to replace regardless of grade. They said if I had an issue I would only be reinbursed for the amount I declared. They said if you are undeclaring the vaule of cards to get cheap specials/subs this is one way it could come back to haunt you.
  • Options
    SGC is big on declared value. I had a bunch of GAI 8 Mantles from the 60's such as 1964, 1966, 1967 and 1969 and a GAI 7 55 Bowman. They were running a special for crossovers for $6 for $500 declared value and I asked the CS rep if it was okay if a couple of the cards were potentially worth more.....although this is when GAI was starting to sink badly. He said fine so I sent all the cards together. When they got to SGC; Michael G opened the box and called me immediately to say they weren't eligible to be declared $500. So I had to pay more. Was not a great 1st experience with crossovers. I was pissed. What made me mad is that I called them about the values and was given the okay from CS; but not Michael..it was another guy. This happened about 3 years ago.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    I think the issue is for some cards that have a raw value that can not touch the insured value. Can you reasonably expect to insure a Montana rookie for $2K when its raw? You could never prove the value for a raw card if you insure at the highest slabbed value ($2k plus still I assume for a PSA 10), so if its damaged raw you won't see a full reimbursement. Slabbing can materially change the market value - perhaps PSA should incorporate a secondary 'Insured Value' Category for slabbed returns that would be conditional? I don't know the answer.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.