Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS CoinFacts

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that CoinFacts should be thrown in with your PCGS membership? I keep receiving these emails telling me it's my last chance to sign up for the $9.75 monthly fee before it jumps to $12.95, but after I dole out $199 a year plus all my submission costs beyond my first 8 submissions AND that pesky $8 handling fee, an additional $9.75 a month for coin facts seems a hard pill to swallow.

Comments

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I agree, I rather put the $9/month towards value - like coins. Most of the info. in coin facts is available for free in one form or another. Do I really need a convenience charge of $8.95/$12.95 per month?
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Or allow you to send coins in with out buying a membership. Not sure which way would be more beneficial for me.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    PCGS provides on there site a full price guide.
    The only way I see them offering the coinfacts service as part of your membership is if they raise the price of your membership.
    I have a feeling not many members would like that option so I will just live with the ala cart option.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS provides on there site a full price guide.
    The only way I see them offering the coinfacts service as part of your membership is if they raise the price of your membership.
    I have a feeling not many members would like that option so I will just live with the ala cart option. >>

Why would they have to raise the price? Once the database is built it's done, no reason to charge more. Besides, happy customers are more likely to submit more coins, especially if the have easy access to a database extolling the virtues of coins they may not know much about. Seems to me making the CoinFacts database available to all PCGS members would increase overall submissions....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL!!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I have a feeling not many members would like that option so I will just live with the ala cart option. >>

Why would they have to raise the price? Once the database is built it's done, no reason to charge more. Besides, happy customers are more likely to submit more coins, especially if the have easy access to a database extolling the virtues of coins they may not know much about. Seems to me making the CoinFacts database available to all PCGS members would increase overall submissions....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL!! >>

So you think this database will be done soon? It appears there are putting tons of hours into this, at a cost. I dont think it will ever be done being updated so there is an ongoing cost.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why would they have to raise the price? Once the database is built it's done, no reason to charge more. Besides, happy customers are more likely to submit more coins, especially if the have easy access to a database extolling the virtues of coins they may not know much about. Seems to me making the CoinFacts database available to all PCGS members would increase overall submissions....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL!! >>

So you think this database will be done soon? It appears there are putting tons of hours into this, at a cost. I dont think it will ever be done being updated so there is an ongoing cost. >>

So they're trying to sell me an incomplete database at $9.95 a month? Sumpin' don't seem right about that....
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    >>

So they're trying to sell me an incomplete database at $9.95 a month? Sumpin' don't seem right about that.... >>

...actually it's only 8.95 a month if you take the year deal. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    And here's the funny thing about my rant...I think I'm going to sign up for it after all. Maybe not the whole year deal but $10 for a month and see what all the hu-bub is about!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    So they're trying to sell me an incomplete database at $9.95 a month? Sumpin' don't seem right about that

Maybe it's me, but I don't walk into my neighbors house and tell them their taste in decorating stinks or that their kids are ugly
  • Options

...image i hear ya Marco.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I did not use it when it was free and still have not found a reason to start paying for it. But I will keep buying a Collectors club membersihip even if I only send in a couple of submissions per year.
    If they can limit what I can use I can limit my use.
  • Options
    LindeDad: "If they can limit what I can use I can limit my use."

That works for me.

• Options
    MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭
    I purchased a one month subscription to check it out,
    And I was very disappointed in the fact that less than half of the coins I looked at had pics,
    the pop charts were far from being complete or even close.
    Also the condition census is no where near accurate, as far as all coins included.

If there going to raise the price, they should wait til COINFACTS is complete.
    I hate paying full price for a partial package.

Mark
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I suspect if they gave it away free and even tossed in the lobby furniture someone would still complain.
  • Options

<< <i>I suspect if they gave it away free and even tossed in the lobby furniture someone would still complain. >>

...image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel it should be free with the Plat membership. I think the high end membership should get everything they have to offer.

I also think the Plat members should NOT have to pay the $8 cover charge.

And lastly they should charge the actual cost of shipping and insurance instead of $26 for something that cost them $6.

JMHO
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Hey guys, just something to consider.

If anyone has issues or complaints, why not try to approach David (Hall) or Don Willis?

I really don't see the point in even trying to debate this here on our hosts forum.

I've renewed my membership at the same level I've always used and tacked on CoinFacts
    at the lowest rate (which expires in a few hours), knowing I can cancel CoinFacts anytime
    if I'm not satisfied. I'm sure a lot of work goes into putting CoinFacts together.

Complaining publicly opposed to taking grievances & or opinions directly to David or Don isn't
    the right way to go about this. If PCGS opts to include CoinFacts with Platinum membership or
    to dealers - that's their call.

Either renew or choose not to. Frankly, I don't see the problem here.

Again, JMHO-FWIW. image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Once CoinFacts is complete, then I will consider subscribing to it. When it was free, I saw very little of importance to me. Now, I think it is much better.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinfacts is a great value and a must have for serious collectors.

Besides the cost per month is cheap.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinfacts is a great value and a must have for serious collectors.

Besides the cost per month is cheap.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CoinFacts is great for advanced collectors; it's worth it if you're spending $1000 per coin every two or three months. I do agree it would be nice if it were available as a bundle with premium collectors' club memberships. Maybe a "Double Platinum" membership for $275 or so, that includes the 8 coin voucher plus a year of CoinFacts, as well as autographs from Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect if they gave it away free and even tossed in the lobby furniture someone would still complain.

Yeah whats up with the cruddy lobby furniture? If your going to give away free furniture it better be at least Ethan Allen so I can sell it!

Seriously I think it is a good developing product and might pay one day for it...things are not always perfect right out of the box but with constructive feedback and time & effort they get better. I think PCGS seems to be dedicated to getting the coin facts right so eventually it will be for most of us...there is always going to be someone who doesn't like something about it, that I can guarantee!

K

ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file