Home U.S. Coin Forum

This coin is possibly stolen....

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you see this coin for sale anywhere, please contact me. It was sold to a person in Austin TX and was mailed on September 15th but never arrived.

Thanks,

JJ

imageimage

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Most unfortunate. She sure looks one scratch from gem.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it turns up! I've made a mental note... anacs photo slab 1904 MS60/60.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two areas on the obverse that one doesn't need a "sniffer" to identify. The "zero" in the date with it's chatter, and the gouge in the field, next to the "U" in "UNITED". Sorry to read about a missing beauty.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are two areas on the obverse that one doesn't need a "sniffer" to identify. The "zero" in the date with it's chatter, and the gouge in the field, next to the "U" in "UNITED". Sorry to read about a missing beauty. >>

Actually the "sniffer" would not be the appropriate tool to use here. The secure scanner would be the technique of choice since we'd be looking at topographic changes due to tooling or otherwise moving metal. The "sniffer" is more appropriate to added substances tho something like puttying could be could be detected by either one.
    Thanks Bajj. That is an excellent post. One I can't even use in a "fence" as it were. image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Bajj. That is an excellent post. One I can't even use in a "fence" as it were. image >>

So how many miles of fence could one post make?image
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sure looks like yesterdays 60 is todays 64.........
    Hope it turns up.......
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned a lesson today, that insurance is pretty much worthless. They say it's for loss or damage. They show the item being scanned as delivered on the 18th. Well either the person that bought is not honest or the post office didn't deliver it to the correct place. I tend to believe the later since at least once a month I get mail in my box that is not mine. The Post Office basically won't do anything.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting, I take it you are the shipper. Was this sold privately or through eBay?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>This is interesting, I take it you are the shipper. Was this sold privately or through eBay? >>

Yes, I am the shipper. It was mailed through the U.S.P.S insured.

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks Bajj. That is an excellent post. One I can't even use in a "fence" as it were. image >>

So how many miles of fence could one post make?image >>

I think that depends on if the name "Laura" or "CAC" is in the thread title, sir.

<< <i>If you see this coin for sale anywhere, please contact me. It was sold to a person in Austin TX and was mailed on September 15th but never arrived.

Thanks,

JJ

imageimage

image >>

Back on track for JJ
  • TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it would have made a difference if you had added the signature delivery to the postal insurance. At least then you would know for certain who the package was delivered to but not sure if that would aid in filing an insurance claim or not....
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is interesting, I take it you are the shipper. Was this sold privately or through eBay? >>

Yes, I am the shipper. It was mailed through the U.S.P.S insured. >>

Sounds like a low value item if they don't have a sig. USPS insurance is way too expensive for low value items to pay off. Not to mention the hassle of a claim. If you are at all concerned, use signature confirmation for less than $2 instead of insurance.

The best insurance you can buy is these two items:

1. Sturdy packaging. Use tape and padded envelopes. Anything over 2k I used express mail and lots of tape on their box or envelope.
    2. Barcoded address labels. Since I went to barcoded labels on self adhesive tape, the USPS hasn't lost a single domestic package (over 3 years and thousands of packages).

--Jerry

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUCH !!! I saw that on ebay, & placed a bid on the coin, but was later outbided. Hope it gets resolved through the usps.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    If it was ebay, technically it is delivered. Down side Neg on your record.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I learned a lesson today, that insurance is pretty much worthless. They say it's for loss or damage. They show the item being scanned as delivered on the 18th. Well either the person that bought is not honest or the post office didn't deliver it to the correct place. I tend to believe the later since at least once a month I get mail in my box that is not mine. The Post Office basically won't do anything.

JJ >>

Two things, if the item was insured for over $200 then a signature is required. Second, if it is less and you want to make sure then add signature confirmation. This will allow you to easily resolve the issue (okay, maybe not easily) as you have something to show a delivery was made. If you just use Delivery Confirmation, that doesn't buy you anything as it just means it was left in your mailbox (or at your front door).
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I learned a lesson today, that insurance is pretty much worthless. They say it's for loss or damage. They show the item being scanned as delivered on the 18th. Well either the person that bought is not honest or the post office didn't deliver it to the correct place. I tend to believe the later since at least once a month I get mail in my box that is not mine. The Post Office basically won't do anything.

JJ >>

Two things, if the item was insured for over $200 then a signature is required. Second, if it is less and you want to make sure then add signature confirmation. This will allow you to easily resolve the issue (okay, maybe not easily) as you have something to show a delivery was made. If you just use Delivery Confirmation, that doesn't buy you anything as it just means it was left in your mailbox (or at your front door). >>

Paypal requires signature confirmation for items $250 and over, not $200. For items under $250, paypal considers them delivered with delivery confirmation and will side with the seller when buyer opens dispute. Postal insurance for loss is only good until post office says it was delivered.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• << <i>I hope it turns up! I've made a mental note... anacs photo slab 1904 MS60/60. >>

image (me too)
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will keep an open eye for it. how sad its m.i.a.
    I ended up refunding the guys money. He has over 3500 feedbacks and a 100% rating. He lives in an apartment complex, and my guess is that the the package was placed in the wrong box in one of those multiple mailbox units. Of course the post office shows it was delivered, so they won't do anything. I think that will be the last time I ever purchase insurance on anything under $200. What a racket the post office is. I can't wait until they start running health care.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file