Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1886-O Morgan Numistrust grade MS63...

What do you think PCGS would say? AU or MS?

Linky

Edited to add: I say AU58.

-Paul

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything that screams "circulated" - New Orleans mint morgans are typicaly flat above the ear and breast feathers.
    Without looking at it in hand, It looks like a accurately graded morgan. I can see it as MS63... or a very nice AU58.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they can make money at true MS61 levels, then it's probably either a 58 or 61 assuming it would even grade. But a 63 is out of the question since they'd lose money on that one.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Looks like it could be over-dipped with subdued luster. That could be the pics though (or my monitor!).

Numistrust doesn't grade coins. They slab coins. image

EDIT: Just noticed the seller claim of "Frosty Luster". That must be the frost they get in Florida!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it could be over-dipped with subdued luster. That could be the pics though (or my monitor!).

Numistrust doesn't grade coins. They slab coins. image

EDIT: Just noticed the seller claim of "Frosty Luster". That must be the frost they get in Florida! >>

Yeah...luster is bad. Cleaned BU is my guess.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    PCGS Genuine
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably 'Genuine'.

Technically, an au58, the absolute highest is an ms62.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That date and MM as well as the 84-S is extremely hard to get into Pcgs MS plastic.I would guess it has already been tried.58 at best at Pcgs.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop the first two letters of the grading service and you may have your answer.
  • Options
    Looks AU cleaned.
    “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with meltdown, I could see this in an AU58 holder or a MS holder, I have seen a lot of 86 o,s with apparent wear above above ear and on breast when it really is just a weak strike.
    AL
  • Options
    I can't tell for certain, but it looks as if there might be a trace of friction on Liberty's cheek and the eagle's breast. So, I''ll with AU58, shot MS61.

To those who posted that the coin looks cleaned or wont grade, I see no evidence of that. It looks no more cleaned or "genuine" only, than countless coins in holders of respected grading companies. And my guess is that if the coin were in a PCGS holder, you would not have said that.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something's wrong with the luster, or maybe just the photo. I'm guessing you'd notice rub on the tip of Liberty's neck and on the eagle's knuckles. Likely grade 58, maybe 61, or 9x.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop the first two letters of the grading service and you may have your answer.

I think you could drop just the first letter and still have your answer.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Since the seller has over 400 listings which include pcgs slabbed material my guess he already tried crossing the coins and failed. The seller does offer a 3 day return policy so maybe an in hand inspection could be worth it? Providing the coin shows no signs of problems in hand, I could see that in a 62 holder image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overdipped, possibly with rub. Worth between $100 and $500, and probably the lower end of that range.
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it has a shot at being a VAM 11A, a Hitlist 40 coin...

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it has a shot at being a VAM 11A, a Hitlist 40 coin... >>

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm pretty sure it is.

-Paul
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Is that a strike through over the eagle's head? Nice die crack between the 'e' & 'd' in "One Dollar" at the bottom of the reverse. I like the coin.
    Paul
  • Options
    1886-O's are well known for high pop of sliders. A slider or unc but I think it's a decent coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file