Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is an error like this worth? Lincoln on scrap.

Comments

• Options
    I would say in a PCGS holder $200-$250
  • Options
    a whole lot more if that final digit were there.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea but most likely $200 if slabbed... So raw it sold for a fair market value IMHO image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen a few errors in my day, and I am impressed by that piece! Tres kewl!

I think it went cheap. My guess is $200-250. Try to find another!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    IMO the final price was a bit above average for an undated example.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO the final price was a bit above average for an undated example. >>

An undated example of what? An off-center on a planchet with two large clips?

I think that the overall appearance, with the clips lined up just so, add to the desirability of the piece.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an eye appealing shape.

(gotta be done on purpose?)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>IMO the final price was a bit above average for an undated example. >>

An undated example of what? An off-center on a planchet with two large clips?

I think that the overall appearance, with the clips lined up just so, add to the desirability of the piece.
    MOO
    TD >>

Yes it's desirable, however, over $100 is a fairly strong price in my experience.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh, somehow I never saw that coin until this post. A few observations and reactions to other posts:

- I think the price is fair, maybe a little low but in the ballpark. The seller didn't do himself any favors by not having keywords like "clip" or "scrap" or "off center" in the listing, I'm certain he missed some views and bids because of it. As I said I missed it completely and I search for clips eBay religiously.

- I think the loss of value due to the partial date is offset by how cool the clips and off-center strike are arranged. I do not think for a nanosecond that the coin was struck intentionally.

- I'd need to see it in the hand but I think I see a third small clip at K-12 on the obverse, overlapping the large clip slightly. If I could confirm that then I'd increase my value estimate by 10-20%.

- The coin is probably from 1978, based on the three visible digits, the style of the other design elements, and the sheer number of misstruck and clipped 1978 cents I've seen over the years.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just throwing this out there for comparison, I sold the coin below on eBay around this time last year for just under $100. Full date, and scarcer than a late 1970s example, but not nearly as eye appealing as the coin in the OP.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i just happened to catch it at $78 and bid it up to the final price...I was never in the lead. I thought it was really cool because of the way the clips are arranged, you can see the square part of the metal strip the blanks were cut out of.

-Paul
  • Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think the coin has great eye appeal.
    Oh well. That's why they have auctions.
    TD
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - great eye-appeal, and a much
    better than-average 'look' to it as an
    off-center strike on a large double clip.

I'd also agree that the final price was a
    good deal for the winning bidder.

Dramatic, eye-appealing errors like this
    are always popular, easy to sell, and
    have a great 'Wow' factor to them.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    I would say $150 would be the "average" price for the coin.

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file