Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old Copper guys

Would you rather have a coin with some green oxidation/corrosion or would you rather have a coin that has been thoroughly cleaned then retoned?

It seems to me that most copper dealers are selling their coins raw, and they all look to me to be suspiciously evenly toned.

Is this just an acceptable compromise since most of the early copper has been corroded?

Comments

• The questoin is akin to asking would you rather have a dibilitating disease or a dibilitating condition. I try to avoid both.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any amount of 'thorough cleaning' will improve a true corrosion problem....I think burnishing was (is still?) done to try and improve corrosion issues.
    That said, I do think a significant number of large cents were cleaned via a dipping, I guess to make them bright red or reddish, and many of these have either retoned over many years, or have been chemically assisted to appear more natural.
    So, after some study, I think large cents that have been left alone with all their problems intact are the least desirable.
    Coins that have been carefully but perhaps significantly 'doctored' to improve the eye appeal are readily accepted and can command strong bids, especially if they are high in the condition census and carry a respectable provenance.
    And of course pristine original coins are the most desirable, but unless you are happy with only the late dates of the series, you better have a thick wallet to obtain these in the earlier years.
    Hopefully some real experts will chime in on this thread!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    If it is '96 no pole, I do not care about any of these issues
  • Copper must be conserved. I'm not trying to stir up the debate. My basic principle is: does the conserving preserve the surface of the coin, or is it done solely to enhance the value and hid the real condition of the coin (i.e. artificial toning)

You got to get the green stuff off of copper. Send it to someone who's done it before. Otherwise, it will consume your coin. If it's too much, don't buy it. you hear the term, net grade in copper a lot.

That's where copper and old gold have something in common. Finding original pieces is very hard and they usually go for Nx over the value in the price guides. The price guides for gold and copper assumed the coin has been messed with, especially for anything before 1850... IMHO

I'm sure Douglas Winter has found a small percent of the older coins original. He should start a CAC / Photoseal type of operation to Id them in my opinion. They are extremely rare... but most people just buy the holder...

• You just discribed the majority of most of my raw large cents
    and half cents image You must of been peeking in my photobucket!
    Given a choice I prefer the crusty ones.image
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with circulated, old copper that has a little stable verdigris or gunk. Cleaned poorly, recolored, Blue Bonnet'd doesn't cut it.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no problem with circulated, old copper that has a little stable verdigris or gunk. Cleaned poorly, recolored, Blue Bonnet'd doesn't cut it.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

I like the color!
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask me, I only want original surfaces. I'd rather have a dig or two than an old cleaning. Corrosion, on the other hand, is also a no-no. To be brutally honest, I think the market is a lot stronger for original, visually stunning, high-grade coins. Always will be. That said, when it comes to real rarities, you don't often get the chance to pick and choose. I think that if you're buying common coins with problems, you should get comfortable with the idea that these coins will never really go anywhere.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you rather have a coin with some green oxidation/corrosion or would you rather have a coin that has been thoroughly cleaned then retoned? >>

That all depends on how the coin looks.

Some people would shy away from a coin with a reverse like this:

Not me. I like it as is. Without the spots it's 2x to 4x the price and unaffordable to me....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Would you rather have a coin with some green oxidation/corrosion or would you rather have a coin that has been thoroughly cleaned then retoned? >>

That all depends on how the coin looks.

Some people would shy away from a coin with a reverse like this:

Not me. I like it as is. Without the spots it's 2x to 4x the price and unaffordable to me....Mike >>

I got scared for a moment... till I noticed it's a sweet & pretty monster! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Read the article in this months Pennywise about "My dog's toothbrush".

--Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file