Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Terminology

When does a "customer" become a "client," or are the two synonymous?
Buying Athens, GA nationals and obsoletes, for my personal collection
Buying most large and small type notes and some nationals for inventory

Comments

• Options
    I believe that they are one and the same, but that "client" sounds a bit more formal.

Also, rightly or wrongly, I think that "client" is somewhat more likely to be associated with investments than "customer" is. I'll be curious to see if others see it that way, or not.

Lastly, those dealers who don't necessarily believe that "the customer is always right", might be more likely to have "clients" than "customers". image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People use the terms interchangeably but there are slight differences. Sort of like the differences between "lawyer" and "attorney".

A customer is one who buys products or services from you.

A client is someone under your protection. A client is someone you take care of, nurture, watch out for his best interests, provide guidance and peace of mind.

I am a customer for many dealers. I am a client for only a handful.
    Lance.
  • Options
    I am not a dealer but a client was always someone who a company is contractually obligated with.
    Some times client is used in reference to a frequent customer also.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...very well put, lance. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clients are customers I recognize by name. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clients are customers I recognize by name. image >>

Best definition so far.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Customers are folks that I don't know their names, but do business with.

Clients are people that I know by name, and do business with (might even have
    a phone number to go with the name)

They are not the same.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I think customers are those folks that provide dealers with profits whereas "clients" are those folks which provide dealers with "finders fee's" via big ticket items.

In other words, I'd sell a "customer" a proof set but I'd bid in an auction on behalf of a "client".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file