Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Darkside presentation in Philadelphia: "ROYAL PORTRAITS: Medals of the German Empire"

I'll be presenting twice at the Philadelphia Expo --- Friday at 12 noon, and Saturday at 12 noon.

Consider yourself cordially invited to attend!

Royal Portraits: Medals of the German Empire, with Dennis Tucker. In the 1800s and early 1900s, thousands of different medals were struck to celebrate the German royal and imperial families. What do these regal portraits tell us about Germany and the German people? And as the Empire began to fall apart during World War I, how did those messages change? Award-winning researcher and writer Tucker will share images from his collection in this richly illustrated presentation. Friday, October 1 at 12pm and Saturday, October 2 at 12pm in Room 305.

Comments

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I'll also be displaying some medals from my collection. Here are some "work in progress" shots (horrible photos, I know; and I apologize!) of the display case. (Before I removed the medals from their holders; just getting a sense of positioning.)

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I won't be able to attend, but I am wondering if you will be presenting on the just Empire era families. Or will you go back to the German States as well. Mainly I would be interested in the Hannover area.
  • Options
    The presentation focuses mainly on the Hohenzollern family, but there are some sidebar items --- French satirical medalets (faux 10-centimes) lampooning Napoleon III after his defeat at Sedan; a few portrait medals of Otto von Bismarck; etc.

If I had two hours, I would love to expand it to other royal families.

Unfortunately there's an 11:00 a.m. presentation right before me and a 1:00 p.m. scheduled right after me (both days)!
  • Options
    A keen-eyed forum member (guess who!) was kind enough to gently point out a typo in my display! I'm glad he caught it --- I might have time to cobble together a correction as I set up the case. (Anybody got a huge bottle of White-Out?)

The mistake is in the birth year of Kaiser Wilhelm I --- should be 1797, not 1791.

• Options
    Embarrassing typo averted --- I was able to print out a correction and gently paste it over the error this morning.

I bought a few new portrait medals from Donald Young this afternoon. Told him they'd probably end up in the exhibit case!

Stop by and take a look if you're interested, and you're welcome to attend my presentations at noon Friday and Saturday, Room 305.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Seems like a great exhibit and presentation. I wish I could attend. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Photos of the set-up display:

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful, and very image

Sorry I missed it image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions