Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

B & M fees to send to PCGS ??

I want to send some ASEs to PCGS for grading and I am thinking about asking a local
B & M Store here to do this. Just wondering what the norm if there is one that
I will be charged to send them. Would it be better to joint one of PCGS's programs?

Comments

• Options
    I would join PCGS at the Gold Level at a minimum. ASE are rarely worth grading though and you need to consider why you want them slabbed.

Your B&M fees might be justified to get further input, but we can give you that here if you provide more info on your ASEs.

EDIT: My bad on the "70" comment. I wasn't taking toners into account. image
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    How many ASEs do you want to send? If it is anywhere near 8 you might as well join. There are other benefits that make it worthwhile in a situation like that...
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone charges you to send coins in to PCGS, report them. PCGS does not allow it.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My local B&M charges only what PCGS charges them if you're willing to wait until they have an order ready to go in. And your coins help to make that happen. --Jerry
  • Options

I have maybe 10 or 12 common dates that are toned real nice and are 66 to 68 I think.
    The main thing is I hope they will grade and not get Genuine.
  • Options
    I think 10 to 12 is a no brainer. Why not join and get the 8 freebies plus a year's worth of population reports and quarterly specials?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think 10 to 12 is a no brainer. Why not join and get the 8 freebies plus a year's worth of population reports and quarterly specials? >>

A modern submission is far cheaper than a regular one. Unless turnaround is a priority, those "free" submissions are a complete waste of money.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone charges you to send coins in to PCGS, report them. PCGS does not allow it. >>

I like that M1 Carbine you got there. Back around 1960 my Pappy was a local police office
    and the Gov. came around selling those to the PDs and he got one. I would have to dig it
    out of the closet to see what brand it is but I must have shot a Gazillion rounds threw it.
    I was 10 years old then and my Sunday school teacher was retired Army Colonel in
    the local guard and he would bring me 30 cal ammo belts with stripper clips and I
    still have a couple. It was $10. and was brand new still wrapped up.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have maybe 10 or 12 common dates that are toned real nice and are 66 to 68 I think.
    The main thing is I hope they will grade and not get Genuine. >>

Two comments Tiny.
    There is a market for 66-68 toned ASEs. The comment that they have to be 70 to be worth anything has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    I've seen members post about ASE toners that they've sold via ebay in the grades I mentioned.

Also, PCGS knows how wildly ASEs tone and doesn't just genny them for color.

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    The dealers I know of generally charge you whatever PCGS. However, the only drawback is that you also usually have to wait until they send out their own stuff, which might be a while. If you're not pressed for time, you can go through the dealer; otherwise you can join one of the membership tiers and submit yourself.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have maybe 10 or 12 common dates that are toned real nice and are 66 to 68 I think.
    The main thing is I hope they will grade and not get Genuine. >>

Two comments Tiny.
    There is a market for 66-68 toned ASEs. The comment that they have to be 70 to be worth anything has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    I've seen members post about ASE toners that they've sold via ebay in the grades I mentioned.

Also, PCGS knows how wildly ASEs tone and doesn't just genny them for color. >>

That's what I'm talking about. I see PCGS slabs getting big bucks but I really don't care about the
    dollars I just want them treated fairly. I see so many NGC Detail slabs and it scares me to waste
    a grading fee with them when I really don't think they understand how ASE's tone. I said that one
    time before on here and some one said I was nuts for thinking that.

• Options
    I wouldn't say complete waste of money. The submissions included in the membership (8) would cost you $14 a piece if purchased separately (Modern). That's $112 out of the initial $199 you would pay for joining. Add on top of that 4 quarterly specials for another $56 (if Moderns). So far you have received $168 worth services in exchange for joining at $199.

This year we've had two Secure Plus submissions back to back, one US and one World. That alone would cost $45 a piece. No costs involved other than shipping. On top of that, I get to track my orders online and have access to the Population Reports. I think is a matter of how you view it an use it. Complete waste of money, I respectfully disagree.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If anyone charges you to send coins in to PCGS, report them. PCGS does not allow it. >>

I like that M1 Carbine you got there. Back around 1960 my Pappy was a local police office
    and the Gov. came around selling those to the PDs and he got one. I would have to dig it
    out of the closet to see what brand it is but I must have shot a Gazillion rounds threw it.
    I was 10 years old then and my Sunday school teacher was retired Army Colonel in
    the local guard and he would bring me 30 cal ammo belts with stripper clips and I
    still have a couple. It was $10. and was brand new still wrapped up. >>

Thanks, it was one that I could not pass up. I bought it at an estate sale about a year ago. The funny thing is that I was actually there looking for coins. About 90% of the coins were gone already and what was left did not interest me. I saw the carbine and new it had to be something good. I found out that it is all original and matching from top to bottom, and it was brought back by the vet who carried it in WW2. I was testing it in the photo below and yes it is very accurate. However I will never fire it again, because I think of it more as a collectors piece. I would like to find one that I can shoot on occasion, since I enjoyed shooting it so much.
  • Options
    Unless turnaround is a priority, those "free" submissions are a complete waste of money.

I think I see your point of view now. Sorry! You are correct. Using the freebies to obtain services on Modern grading fees is a waste of money since they are graded at $14. You are better off using the "freebies" for Regular submissions so that you get $30 worth of service instead of $14. I usually use mine for World coins; so, to me is worth the cost. But, if ASEs is all you are planning on submitting this year AirplaneNut is right.
  • Options

Where did you see that?

At the very least, submitting dealers can make money by charging the listed grading fees, while paying less than those prices. If the dealers were to make nothing at all for their time, few would be willing to submit the coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

Where did you see that?

At the very least, submitting dealers can make money by charging the listed grading fees, while paying less than those prices. If the dealers were to make nothing at all for their time, few would be willing to submit the coins. >>

I have seen it on the submission form.
  • Options
    If the dealers were to make nothing at all for their time, few would be willing to submit the coins.

That's true. There are certain liabilities dealers have to consider when submitting for others (like possible loss). They also have to work into their costs preparing the coins to be sent and shipping among other things. I would think there has to be a fee you would have to pay to get a dealer to assume this responsibility for you.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swampboy is correct.
    Worst case scenario, you get the lowest membership they have (silver) for $49. If you are only sending in moderns, then they are $14 each (shipping/handling charges won't change for either level).
    So, 8*$14= $112. $112+$49=$161
    Last time I checked, $161<$199 so this way is a better deal. You still get the quarterly specials if you want to use them.

By getting your own membership, if you have anything else you can send that in on your own as well.

Just a thought, and, would love to see some pics of your toned SAEs.....I kind of like them that way image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file