Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Selling Duplicates, Advice Needed

Hello All,

Due to some idiocy on my part, I have purchased duplicates of the same coins. I have about 89 coins that I should sell to free up money for purchases to fill additional holes in my collection.

I have never sold before and I thought I would ask the fine members here what their thoughts were.

Ebay is currently running a promotion where up to 100 items can be listed per month without any insertion fee. I know there is a commission on lots sold of 9%. I also know that if you accept Paypal, there is a charge there as well.

I also have no idea what I should charge for shipping and what areas of the world I can sell to. I know that I really do not want to have anything to do with the Middle East, Russia and its former satellite states and China.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nicholasz219

Oh yeah, they are all Russian Imperial.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I might suggest running them through the World Buy/Sell/Trade forum here at Collectors Universe. Figure out what you want to get out of them and give it a try. The forum has a $0 listing fee, so you can't lose. I only use Ebay as a last resort. You certainly have more of an audience on eBay, but you trade visibility for fees and a less trusting audience.

Regarding shipping, I've seen several options described on this forum and they all have merit. My general rule of thumb is regular US mail for most things under $50 to $100, and US registered mail for things over $100. Here is a thread talking about shipping - might be worth poking through some other threads on the topic.
    shipping thread #1

good luck
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Do you have a list of the coins? That might help. Several venues are open to you. Auction houses, Ebay, BST, coin dealers. Posting a list will help forum members offer suggestions.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good quality and decent price of the more major countries on the BST boards might attract many of the members that post here. BTW, any high quality GB milled???
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, thank you all for the advice and interest. It is a lot of purely Russian Imperial. I may have a buyer for the lot, but if for some reason that does not work out, I will post the list for all to see.

I really did want to avoid Ebay because it can be such a pain and then having to fork over a percentage of the sale and possibly to Paypal as well just makes selling on Ebay not such an attractive option for me.

I guess that is when you have moved on from being a child who hoards everything to focusing on your key collection(s). Then again, my other non-duplicate spin-off collections are going to my seven year old daughter this weekend, so I don't know exactly how much I am really "giving up" considering the same coins will be in my house, lol.

I appreciate the members on this forum for their expertise and friendliness! The forum is such a wonderful thing for a hobby that can have enthusiasts scattershot around the country and globe and where being open with strangers isn't the most prudent thing in a live personal setting.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO the best option is the BST, and use other stuff like fleeceBay afterwards. BST is free, no fees, you can take cheques, MO, Cash etc - whatever you want. Some of us collect Russian stuff too, me in particular, close to home and the heart.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21