Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question About Grading On Gretzky Rookie

Would one believe that a card which meets all specific standards for a PSA 9 mint slab with regards to centering, corners, edges, focus and registration still deserves such a designation if on the reverse of the card it has an indentation, near the lower corner, slightly smaller than the size of a ball point pen tip? The indentation does not project to the front surface of the card and the only other surface blemish on the card is a fish eye on the reverse of the card. I am asking this question as I recently purchased said card and I'm wondering about the possibility of it being overgraded due to this surface indentation on the reverse of the card. I would post a picture of the card but it doesn't show up in the scan when doing so. Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

Comments

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    It's difficult to answer without seeing the card. It could be PSA saw it and decided it did not warrant a lower grade. '79 OPCs are just tough cards to grade. PSA allows for rough cuts so maybe small indentations are another of those things typically seen on '70s-era OPCs.

If, as you wrote, the indentation is too small to be seen on a scan, then it probably isn't anything to worry about. If it will bother YOU, though, I'd look into getting refund. I learned decades ago that if a card purchase bothers you, you shouldn't keep the card.