Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looking For A High Res Scan Of A 1972 STP Racing Fred Lorenzen

I saw that a 1972 STP Fred Lorenzen Racing card popped on the population report. Would love to know who has it?

Comments

• A few facts on Fred Lorenzen off the top of my head.

The color of his car: Williamsburg White (I called Homan Moody and asked)

Home: Elmhurst Ill. (Also home of Keebler)

Car Number: 28

Car Builder: Holman Moody out of Charlotte

First driver to win at the big 4 tracks. Then it was: Charlotte, Atlanta, Daytona, and I believe Darlington. I don't think there were any other big tracks then.

He won the first NASCAR race I went to by choice, the National 400 at Charlotte 1964.
    (First race I went to was Darlington Rebel 300, 1960. Our high school band played National Anthem and Dixie.)

You could actually tell his car was a Ford and what year it was.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Ron! Still looking for the lucky owner.
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few facts on Fred Lorenzen off the top of my head.

The color of his car: Williamsburg White (I called Homan Moody and asked)

Home: Elmhurst Ill. (Also home of Keebler)

Car Number: 28

Car Builder: Holman Moody out of Charlotte

First driver to win at the big 4 tracks. Then it was: Charlotte, Atlanta, Daytona, and I believe Darlington. I don't think there were any other big tracks then.

He won the first NASCAR race I went to by choice, the National 400 at Charlotte 1964.
    (First race I went to was Darlington Rebel 300, 1960. Our high school band played National Anthem and Dixie.)

You could actually tell his car was a Ford and what year it was.

Ron >>

Heard his daughter had to put him in a retirement home. She gave a lot of her dad's memorabilia to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Also heard his basement/trophy room flooded with the torrential rain in Chicago earlier this year. The 1965 Daytona 500 trophy was unharmed.
    Mr Lorenzen has always been one of my favorite drivers and has always been very gracious with his time. I hate that he is in a home.

Logan
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Do any of you guys know where to get a 72 petty? I don't really care about the condition. Just looking for one to add to my collection of HOFers outside of the big 4 sports
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Those cards are tough to find. For such a small set, it's hard to complete.

Here's the checklist according to PSA: (sorry for the caps, it's a cut and paste)

BOBBY ALLISON
    BUDDY BAKER
    DICK BROOKS
    CHARLIE GLOTZBACH
    JAMES HYLTON
    ELMO LANGLEY
    FRED LORENZEN
    FRED LORENZEN W/CAR
    DAVE MARCIS
    BENNY PARSONS
    RICHARD PETTY

So far, I only have Petty, Baker, Hylton, and Marcis. Does anyone know who all from that list is a HOF'er??? How many on the list are still alive. I typically only collect signed cards and my Petty and Baker are signed. Are Hylton and Marcis still around?

Thanks,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs

• << <i>Those cards are tough to find. For such a small set, it's hard to complete.

Here's the checklist according to PSA: (sorry for the caps, it's a cut and paste)

BOBBY ALLISON
    BUDDY BAKER
    DICK BROOKS
    CHARLIE GLOTZBACH
    JAMES HYLTON
    ELMO LANGLEY
    FRED LORENZEN
    FRED LORENZEN W/CAR
    DAVE MARCIS
    BENNY PARSONS
    RICHARD PETTY

So far, I only have Petty, Baker, Hylton, and Marcis. Does anyone know who all from that list is a HOF'er??? How many on the list are still alive. I typically only collect signed cards and my Petty and Baker are signed. Are Hylton and Marcis still around?

Thanks,

Mike >>

They just made the first induction of HOF'ers for NASCAR this year, Petty being the only one on that list. There could be others in the Motorsports HOF though.

Yes to both Hylton and Marcis are both still alive, in fact Hylton still does race.

• << <i>Those cards are tough to find. For such a small set, it's hard to complete.

BOBBY ALLISON
    BUDDY BAKER
    DICK BROOKS
    CHARLIE GLOTZBACH
    JAMES HYLTON
    ELMO LANGLEY
    FRED LORENZEN
    FRED LORENZEN W/CAR
    DAVE MARCIS
    BENNY PARSONS
    RICHARD PETTY

Thanks,

Mike >>

James Hylton, hometown, Inman South, Carolina, between Spartanburg and the North Carolina state line off Interstate 26, attempted to qualify for the Daytona 500 either this year or last year. He did not make the field. He was in his 70's. As far as I know Dave Marcis is also alive. He was friends with Dale Earnhardt and retired right after Earnhardt's death. Earnhardt furnished Marcis with engines and car parts and Marcis did testing for Earnhardt. Marcis also raced in wingtip shoes instead of heat resistant racing shoes.

Ron

Edited to add:
    Benny Parspns and Elmo Langley are the only two that have passed away. Not sure on Dick Brooks.
    After searching on the web, it seems like these are the HOF'ers (if you include the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America, and the International Motorsports Hall of Fame:

Bobby Allison
    Buddy Baker
    Fred Lorenzen
    Benny Parsons
    Richard Petty
  • Thought you might enjoy these from my Photobucket archives.

Edited to add: The Hylton and Brooks autos are real.

Top to Bottom,

Hylton, Parsons, and Dick Brooks back in the days when cars looked like cars and NASCAR was a real sport.

Ron

Ron,

Those are some great shots

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>Those cards are tough to find. For such a small set, it's hard to complete.

BOBBY ALLISON
    BUDDY BAKER
    DICK BROOKS
    CHARLIE GLOTZBACH
    JAMES HYLTON
    ELMO LANGLEY
    FRED LORENZEN
    FRED LORENZEN W/CAR
    DAVE MARCIS
    BENNY PARSONS
    RICHARD PETTY

Thanks,

Mike >>

James Hylton, hometown, Inman South, Carolina, between Spartanburg and the North Carolina state line off Interstate 26, attempted to qualify for the Daytona 500 either this year or last year. He did not make the field. He was in his 70's. As far as I know Dave Marcis is also alive. He was friends with Dale Earnhardt and retired right after Earnhardt's death. Earnhardt furnished Marcis with engines and car parts and Marcis did testing for Earnhardt. Marcis also raced in wingtip shoes instead of heat resistant racing shoes.

Ron

Edited to add:
    Benny Parspns and Elmo Langley are the only two that have passed away. Not sure on Dick Brooks. >>

Dick Brooks passed away in 2006. He won only one Winston Cup race in 1973 at Talladega

Logan
    melvin289, nice driver cards. I have not seen a 1972 Petty in awhile. A raw BOBBY ALLISON just sold for $258. Kingnascar might know when the last one sold? Still looking for the owner of that Fred Lorenzen.
    Here's an autographed STP Richard Petty that's on ebay right now (not mine and no affiliation with seller):

Richard Petty PSA/DNA 1972 STP

Just as a price point of reference, I paid $200 plus shipping for this one:

Mike
    thenavarro, Very nice. I saw that Petty on eBay. King Richard will be at the HOF Thursday signing for free. Let's see the Baseball and Football guys do that.
    Fontana bump!
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I always thought Chuck Therwanger had a funny name.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • I don't know how I missed those '72 Nascar cards when they came out. I have always, until recently, kept up with Nascar. I have so much other Nascar items, the one that is actually worth something I missed. By the way, I looked in my Dutch Masters Cadets (price- 2/15¢) cigar box and found a ticket stub from Rockingham from '67 with Fred lorenzen's picture as having won the race the previous year. I will try to post a picture soon.

Ron
    I had the opportunity to meet Fred Lorenzen at his home and visit with him and see his trophies. He is a super individual and a great person to talk with about the history of NASCAR.

Here is a picture of me with Fred Lorenzen in his trophy room a few years ago.

Logan
  • Logan that is a great picture and I'm sure an even better memory. One of the items I have lost down through the years was a picture of Wendell Scott and me beside his race car after a race. I wish I could find that picture. But so far no luck. I did find a race program with his autograph on it though.

Back in the late 60's after the Factory Drivers left you could go into the pits. Usually all that were left were the independent drivers and Richard Petty, Himself. Buddy Baker would also stay around to meet the fans.

Ron
    WOW

<< <i>Logan that is a great picture and I'm sure an even better memory. One of the items I have lost down through the years was a picture of Wendell Scott and me beside his race car after a race. I wish I could find that picture. But so far no luck. I did find a race program with his autograph on it though.

Back in the late 60's after the Factory Drivers left you could go into the pits. Usually all that were left were the independent drivers and Richard Petty, Himself. Buddy Baker would also stay around to meet the fans.

Ron >>

Ron,
    Hope you find the Wendell Scott pic. How old were you when it was taken and what memories of that moment do you have? Very cool that you have his autograph.
    When I talked to Mr Lorenzen, he told me that the key to driving fast is throttle control and gentle brake usage. He also said that when a driver has a very bad wreck, it costs them 100 hp. What he meant by that was that you will lift in a hairy situation when before the wreck, you would plow right through.
    He also mentioned that when Fireball Roberts died, it took all the fun out of driving for him and he eventually quit. He looks back now and wishes that he had continued driving and regrets that decision even today.
    He is a great man.

Later,
    Logan
  • "Hope you find the Wendell Scott pic. How old were you when it was taken and what memories of that moment do you have? Very cool that you have his autograph"

This was around 1967 through 1970. The Scott picture was probably "68. I would have been 18 or 19. I met Mr. Scott after a race once and offered him a beer. We sat on the back of his truck and talked for maybe 15 minutes or so. After that when we went into the pits after a race we always looked him up and he would smile and ask, "You wouldn't have another beer in that ice chest would you?" He was a very personable man and a credit to the sport. My friend Steve, my race buddy, and I was going to help in Wendell's pit. He told us he couldn't pay and we didn't want pay. It never happened but I have wished a million times since that we had followed through with helping to pit his car. We also got to know several of the other independent drivers back then. One being Cecil Gordon from Horseshoe, NC, near Asheville. Once when we were walking into Martinsville before the race he saw us walking in front of the grandstands and walked across the track to speak and say hello. All the peope seated around us that Sunday were impressed. The last I knew of Cecil he was an engine builder with Dale Earnhardt. Those were great days.

Ron