Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Submissions - #788 - Pop 1 of 1

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    As a side note, some nutty friend of mine created this without my knowledge from an old photo taken at my store 15 years ago (I'm much better looking now) and I thought the '72 bunch would get a kick out of it. Why he chose the '72's I'll never know and whats the deal w/ a PSA-8, a 10 would have been more in line....jay image
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    That's very funny Jay!! image
  • Options
    Jay,

Why didn't you grade yourself as a GEM MINT 10? Maybe you should have submitted the card to ZAG!
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    69Topps - As I stated earlier, this wasn't my doing. This done by a friend, I just thought I'd share it with the world. And if this "card" went the way of ZAG, it would no doubt come back trimmed, with my head cut off....jay
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Jay, I see it's on your web site now - nice touch!
  • Options
    I thought for a moment that was one of those Fritsch ads.
  • Options
    GEM - I thought it would be a cute idea. Sort of like a business card with a picture on it. On the internet, be it these boards, a website or eBay it is very impersonal. So I wanted to associate a name with a face and figured this was stupid enough to do....jay
  • Options
    WAITTIL - I'm beefy, but not in their league! Both in inventory and in girth....jay
  • Options
    As a certified card sturgeon, please see the attached scan. After careful "consideration", your card does deserve a 10, and has been awarded the highest level of 10. Upon close inspection after computer enhancement though, I do question the claim of it being a one of one.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    wtts

Nice touch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    x
  • Options
    WAITTIL - I didn't know you were this handy w/ cards and graphics. I would like to place an order a '52 Topps #311 Mantle PSA-10 and a T206 Honus Wagner PSA-8. Thanks, look foward to selling the pair...image
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I know of another dealer with a 1972 #788 Wolt but its SGC 6.5...

Anyway, it kills the PSA 8 version. The PSA has a weak lower right corner, and looks a little trimmed. The SGC 6.5 is pack fresh, and smells much better too...

What is this card weighted in the registry?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Jay

After looking over the card it looks more like a Pro 8 than a PSA 8 to me.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Brian - It would be nice if the card weight was attributed to my actual weight..image

Wayne - If it were a PRO card, I would no doubt break it open...jay
  • Options
    Jay,

This is an interesting situation, you saying you'd "break yourself out of a PRO holder". See if you can follow the leap I am about to make ---

My college roommate was a starting tightend on the football team. The team was included on a video game in the mid-90s. My roommate was a digital player on this video game. Sounds really cool, huh?

Well, Sega rated his "catching" ability at 30 out of 100, or something awful like that.

Needless to say, I never lost a game against my roommate. He could not resist throwing himself the ball. And he could not catch the ball. It was some of the best times of college watching him get so mad at himself for dropping passes. He out weighed me 125 pounds in real life, and I am lucky to be alive. I laughed at him and his video game self countless hours.

At least you admit you'd break out the PRO. My roommate could never admit that he shouldn't be the focus of his offense...

Brian

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Brian

huh?

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Jay,

I NEED THAT CARD FOR MY SET...How Much???image

Carlos
  • Options
    Wayne,

The parable on man's inability to recognize his own inherent flaws was my intention. Jay being able to contemplate the paradigm of a PRO self or a PSA self. In a dissimilar manner, my football player roommate was matched with such a dilemma, and his decision was equally paramount yet he failed in a way that Jay exceeded.

Baseball cards and video games. That’s all life is.

That’s all. (and maybe the Simpson’s too)

Brian

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Brian - I get your drift...image

and deduct video games in place of Rock n' Roll & Blues music, and thats what I'm about
    oh yeah! and the wife, can't forget her.image...jay
  • Options
    Hey Jay.......does this card qualify for the HOF set??
    Now no '72 set will be complete without the #788 Wolt. I myself, have a few for sale.....if anyone's interested. They're a little creased and dogeared, as they were placed in my bicycle spokes 30 years ago. I dunno....the Jay Wolt card just made a crisper clicking sound than the Fisk rookie.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    JOHN- HOF set...Hmnnn! I like the sound of that..image..jay
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jay,

If this is one of a kind, put it on eBay and I'll bid the crap out of it. I won't have to worry about the "9" guys because they don't want to riddle their sets with stinkin 8's.

How much you wanna bet that if I paid $100 for this single rarity - that later this week you see a PSA 9 72 Zardoz #789 show up on eBay with a "Buy It Now" price of $750image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FRANK - Knowing ZARDOZ like I do, you are probably right. But perhaps I'll sue him for copyright infingements or something, but then again, thats what he's looking for...More exposure for ZAG grading, I tell ya, he's a marketing genius. By my latest count ZAG has moved into the #4 slot, behind the "big 3" image...jay
  • Options
    Once again Jay, you are correct.

Exposure, a critical marketing tool.

Spokesman..That's what ZAG needs. Not too interested in litigation, but your post has me thinking.

Rollie can front for his grading company

Reggie Jackson for Mr. Mint

So I was thinking who to front for our organization. Someone who could serve double duty.

Then it came to me.

With the plethora of cut and trimmed cards out there, which sports personality out in the marketplace has visual recognition and is experienced with sharp instruments, cutting tools, and is familiar with hiding the evidence of such activity?

Simple!

Orenthal .J. Simpson!

Betcha I could get him cheaply!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    If the card doesn't fit, we must a cut it.
  • Options
    ZARDOZ - Your wheels in your head are always turning...jay
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Yeah... that gerbil is working overtime....

Actually.... OJ wouldn't help with the female collectors... You may have to include Lorena Bobbit as well...

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Bobbit?

There are certain sacrifices that I am will to make to ensure the success of the business........but I'm drawing the line on this one!

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES