Home Precious Metals

SP grading on gold coins

derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed at least two TPGs grade 2006-2008 W unc. gold eagles with the SP designation instead of the MS designation. Is this their designator for satin finish and are they basically calling all burnished gold "satin?" Why not SF instead of SP? I even saw an 08W fractional buffalo in an ICG slab designated SP.

Is this strictly a burnished gold thing? Why all the confusion, just grade them MS and if they feel it's necessary include "burnished" on the slab.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Comments

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe specimen= satin/matte finished OR so they can differentiate the regular unc from satin for people that don't know the W is a different coin. I think PCGS changed there satin finish designation UNC set to SP also instead of satin finish. This is all so confusingimage
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,