Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can someone comment on these French coins?

I've been liquidating an estate. Among a few boxes of foreign coins I found the following four items. While probably not as valuable as the silver coins, I thought they were among the most interesting of the lot. Can anyone shed light on them?

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Victory in the Great War was a costly one for France, and it led to a serious debasement of the currency. The base metal coins you have are the result.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Are the one and two franc coins regular government issues? The language "Good for one franc" and "Chamber of Commerce of France" suggest that they are not, but instead are a token for use in stores. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the French.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the one and two franc coins regular government issues? The language "Good for one franc" and "Chamber of Commerce of France" suggest that they are not, but instead are a token for use in stores. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the French. >>

They are literally issued by the Chamber of Commerce, the equivalent of the USA Department of Commerce. In essence they were official token issues - since they replaced the .900 fine LMU era silver franc coinages that disappeared with France's defeat in WWI. Oh, France was on the winning side in the war, but essentially France really lost the war since her economy was wrecked, a generation of males was practically wiped out etc.

In addition there were several issues by municipalities, notably Paris, but many other cities as well, of token coinage during that era. My favourites are my paper token coins from the city of Lille.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins, but retail for only about 3/$1 or less.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Young Indiana Jones saved one of the French coins:

From the introduction to the DVDs of the "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" series:

For more, visit:

Young Indiana Jones coins

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Amazing-I didn't know all of that information on the commerce coins. Great place this forumn. Everyday you learn something new.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Thanks to all once again. These coins may not be worth much, but I think they are very, very cool. And WillieBoyd2 certainly gets the prize for esoteric knowledge!