Home Sports Talk

The official 'Who should I start this week' thread.

It's hard to believe this thread hasn't been started yet (or maybe it has, but I missed it). In any case, I thought I'd throw one up here. Here's my dilemma: A standard league (no PPR) with 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE and a flex. The TE position is settled (T.Gonzalez), but I have five more spots to fill. What five do you pick? Here are the candidates:

Addai
Portis
Tolbert (SD)
T.Owens
L.Murphy
Harvin
S.Greene
A. Johnson

I'm leaning towards Tolbert and Portis at RB, Johnson and Harvin at WR, and Murphy at flex, but feel free to flame away.

Edit to add: I also have D. Brown (IND), K.Williams (Wash) and Beanie Wells, but I don't see how I could play any of those three. Still, if you think I should don't hesitate to chime in.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo,

I'd go with Portis (great matchup this week) and Tolbert at RB, AJ and Murphy at WR and Addai at W/R as he's been very active of late.

Great idea for thread, btw!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Here's one: I am in a PPR league and need to start a flex W/R...do you start the receiver Collie (Garcon may be out) or Portis who has a great matchup vs StL??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's one: I am in a PPR league and need to start a flex W/R...do you start the receiver Collie (Garcon may be out) or Portis who has a great matchup vs StL?? >>

Wow-- that's a VERY close call either way. I don't know what you do. My feeling is you go with Collie, given that Portis has a bum wrist and K.Williams may snipe a few carries, but that's probably about the most difficult fantasy decision I've ever seen.

Here's another fantasy nightmare: Standard format, and I have to start three of the following. Which three? As of now I've penciled in Moss, Finley and Murphy, but the Royal/Murphy decision seems like a close one.

Aromashodu, Devin CHI WR
    Manningham, Mario NYG WR 8
    Moss, Randy NEP WR
    Murphy, Louis OAK WR
    Royal, Eddie DEN WR
    Celek, Brent PHI TE (P)
    Daniels, Owen HOU TE (P)
    Finley, Jermichael GBP TE

<< <i>Boo,

I'd go with Portis (great matchup this week) and Tolbert at RB, AJ and Murphy at WR and Addai at W/R as he's been very active of late.

Great idea for thread, btw! >>

That sounds entirely reasonable. My worry is that Addai's knee is acting up and Brown might steal some carries, and Harvin seems like a strong play against the defensive abomination that is the Detroit Lions (this team made Vick look like he was back at VT slinging it against FSU in the Sugar Bowl, which isn't easy to do for a 30-something QB who has never been able to hit water out of a boat). But, I can see it going either way.
    Here's another fantasy nightmare: Standard format, and I have to start three of the following. Which three? As of now I've penciled in Moss, Finley and Murphy, but the Royal/Murphy decision seems like a close one.

Aromashodu, Devin CHI WR
    Manningham, Mario NYG WR 8
    Moss, Randy NEP WR
    Murphy, Louis OAK WR
    Royal, Eddie DEN WR
    Celek, Brent PHI TE (P)
    Daniels, Owen HOU TE (P)
    Finley, Jermichael GBP TE

Moss and Finley for sure...Manningham is beginning to emerge as a force, but I like Royal at home in a game that figures to require Denver to play from behind, and he's been getting lots of looks of late..

That sounds entirely reasonable. My worry is that Addai's knee is acting up and Brown might steal some carries, and Harvin seems like a strong play against the defensive abomination that is the Detroit Lions (this team made Vick look like he was back at VT slinging it against FSU in the Sugar Bowl, which isn't easy to do for a 30-something QB who has never been able to hit water out of a boat). But, I can see it going either way.

Harvin does have a great matchup...he's been a major disappointment (along with Favre so far this season) but if he's going to catch fire this should be the week it happens..

Boo, I hope you had Murphy in your lineup..it seems he's becoming a favorite target of Gradkowski..

I'm just thanking the lord I started Collie over Portis! image

<< <i>Boo, I hope you had Murphy in your lineup..it seems he's becoming a favorite target of Gradkowski..

I'm just thanking the lord I started Collie over Portis! image >>

Unfortunately I went with Royal, but this will be the last time this season I make that mistake. Barring bye weeks I think I'm probably looking at the Moss/Finley/Murphy triumvirate from this point forward.

Great call on Collie. Everyone in my leagues who started him won handily.
    Lance Moore, not owned in most leagues, may provide a nice boost from the slot position till Bush gets back.

If Loyd is available, you may want to swap out Royal for him, too, IMHO..

• Ok folks - I'll give you my "who should I start"? I have a 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 flex w/r, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 def league. My running backs are set (Jackson GB & Johnson TEN) and my receivers are set (Jackson PHIL & Marshall MIA). My tight end is Jason Witten and my kicker and defense are set too. But the QB and the flex are the tricky ones. My QB options are Bruce Gradkowski of Oakland and Sam Bradford of St Louis. MY flex options are CJ Spiller of Buffalo and Devery Henderson of New Orleans. I had Gradkowski this week (had to pick him up because my two QB's that I drafted were Kevin Kolb and Jason Campbell - oops!) and he did ok. But will Cable yank him if he gets off to a bad start next week and put Jason Campbell back in, thereby giving me a 3rd week of no 2nd half QB? Spiller was awesome against the Pats, but a total dud in the first two weeks. Henderson is part of the airshow in New Orleans, so who knows what he will get from week to week? Matt Cassell is also available right now, but he is so unpredictable. Right now I am leaning towards Gradkowski and Spiller, but I just don't know. Advice?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    H20--

I think I start Bradford against what looks to be a bad Seattle team, and I start Henderson as well. Spiller is playing against a pretty strong NYJ defense (still a fairly stout run-stopping unit, despite the loss of Jenkins), and will keep losing carries to Lynch and Jackson. Henderson, meanwhile, goes up against the hapless Panthers.
    Here's one for this week: Tolbert or Greene? Eventually Greene has to get 15 carries in a game, and they are playing Buff. this week. Then again, Tolbert is playing Az., and Matthews may only see limited time.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I picked up Gradkowski too, earlier in the week. Against a soft pass D, he should do well.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
    Tolbert or Greene? Hmmm, that's a tough call. They are up against weak D's against the run, (so far)
    so that's a wash. The question I'm thinking is will Matthews take away more touches from Tolbert, or
    will LT take more from Greene? I would start Greene, just by a hair.

Tolbers v Greene is a tough call...I'd say if Mathews is not limited (which we don't know), Greene would be the better choice only because Greene, even splitting carries with LT, will get more touches than Tolbert backing up Mathews...Neither choice is terribly appealing and I'd look to another option if you have one..

Here's one:

Would you start the amazing (thus far) Austin Collie (who is listed as Questionable even though he has practiced each day this week and will play) vs Jax or Maclin (who leads the league in TDs) at home vs Washington??

Here's another for the flex position:

Murphy (questionable) vs porous Hou D or Lance Moore vs Carolina?

I start Collie. Before we all start gushing over Michael Vick's maturity as a quarterback we should remember that his last two opponents were Detroit and Jacksonville. I for one cannot believe that a player is capable of missing two years of action in his early 30's and then becoming a better player upon his return. There is no precedent for that in the NFL, so far as I know, and if Vick is in fact a fraud then the Maclin/Jackson show is about to go the way of the Peerless Price and Co. show of five years ago.

The Murphy situation is tough because it's a late game, and I'm still not convinced he's going to play. I have this same problem right now with both Murphy AND A.Johnson. Nevertheless, Murphy is a #1 and I don't see how Moore can be considered a viable WR3/Flex option yet, despite the great game he had last week. If Murphy plays then I think you have to start him here, but hopefully we'll know more by Sun. morning.

Re: Greene and Tolbert: I could go with Portis/Wells at RB, then A. Johnson and Murphy at WR and either Addai or TO in the flex, but my preference would be either Tolbert or Greene over Portis. Having said that, I'm sure Portis will now go off for 23/166 and 4 TD's.
    Re: Greene and Tolbert: I could go with Portis/Wells at RB, then A. Johnson and Murphy at WR and either Addai or TO in the flex, but my preference would be either Tolbert or Greene over Portis. Having said that, I'm sure Portis will now go off for 23/166 and 4 TD's.

LOL...FWIW, I like Beanie Wells, who is destined to be the featured back in AZ now that he has recovered from surgery, over Greene or Tolbert (unless Mathews is out). I would not start Portis under any circumstances unless your other option is a player on a BYE...

<< <i>Re: Greene and Tolbert: I could go with Portis/Wells at RB, then A. Johnson and Murphy at WR and either Addai or TO in the flex, but my preference would be either Tolbert or Greene over Portis. Having said that, I'm sure Portis will now go off for 23/166 and 4 TD's.

LOL...FWIW, I like Beanie Wells, who is destined to be the featured back in AZ now that he has recovered from surgery, over Greene or Tolbert (unless Mathews is out). I would not start Portis under any circumstances unless your other option is a player on a BYE... >>

Agreed. I'm done with Portis until his YPG gets above 4.0 at least a couple of consecutive games. The fact that he couldn't get it revved up against the Rams was a real red flag.

As of now I'm going with Greene and Wells, A.Johnson and Murphy, and Addai in the flex. Portis, Tolbert and TO will ride the pine.
    As of now I'm going with Greene and Wells, A.Johnson and Murphy, and Addai in the flex. Portis, Tolbert and TO will ride the pine.

I think that is your best option there unless Mathews is somehow inactive for tomorrow's game, but ball indications are that he is raring to go..

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dam...you guys would make pretty good scouts for the NFL. image
    If anyone needs a ride from Detroit to Denver this week, I'll be heading out there on Tue. to key Josh McDaniels' car and TP his house. PM me if you need a lift.
    This is great-- I started Manningham, Finley and Moss this week. so I have a shot of getting literally '0' points out of my receivers. How incredible is that? Seriously, a league should just kick you out-- and keep your entry fee-- if this ever happens. In fact, if the commish sends me an email tomorrow informing me that I've been relegated I won't even utter a word of protest.
    Seriously, a league should just kick you out-- and keep your entry fee-- if this ever happens. In fact, if the commish sends me an email tomorrow informing me that I've been relegated I won't even utter a word of protest.

That's the other "football" league where they do that, LOL...

So much for Moss being an "elite" receiver so far this season...

<< <i>Seriously, a league should just kick you out-- and keep your entry fee-- if this ever happens. In fact, if the commish sends me an email tomorrow informing me that I've been relegated I won't even utter a word of protest.

That's the other "football" league where they do that, LOL...

So much for Moss being an "elite" receiver so far this season... >>

I have to admit, the idea of relegation/promotion appeals to me on many primitive levels. How great would it be to see the Lions/Browns/Rams etc. have to pay for their utter ineptitude by being sent to the UFL? No more $150 million dollar checks from Fox Sports just because you've hung on the Cowboys coattails for 20+ years, no more grandfathered T-Giving games because 'it's an NFL tradition'-- just a straight ticket to the bush leagues for putting a terrible team on the field. Meanwhile the Nebraska Cornholers or whoever get a shot at the big time as a reward for having tried to run their team the right way.

I don't see how anyone CAN'T like that feature-- it would unquestionably make those last three weeks far more exciting. And I would extend it to the NBA as well, so we could get rid of these mail-in efforts in late-March. Make EVERY contract in pro sports guaranteed UNLESS the team gets relegated, then kick back and enjoy the spirited play of the late-November Oakland Raiders.
    Week 7 - NYG Def vs. Dal in Dal or KC Def vs. Jac in KC?

Week 8- Shockey vs. PIT or Holmes vs. GB? Both players play on home turf

Week 8 - Brees vs. PIT or Stafford vs. WAS? Both home games

• OK - I'm in a dogfight this week in a 16 team league. I've got two quarterbacks: Sam Bradford and Brett Favre. Who do I start? Bradford has been more consistent and healthy, but he has yet to produce really big numbers. Favre is like a yo-yo. I never know what I'm going to get. I can't afford a 6 or 7 point game. I checked ESPN and just my luck, they have them ranked 18 & 19 - no clear cut favorite. Who should I start?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

<< <i>OK - I'm in a dogfight this week in a 16 team league. I've got two quarterbacks: Sam Bradford and Brett Favre. Who do I start? Bradford has been more consistent and healthy, but he has yet to produce really big numbers. Favre is like a yo-yo. I never know what I'm going to get. I can't afford a 6 or 7 point game. I checked ESPN and just my luck, they have them ranked 18 & 19 - no clear cut favorite. Who should I start? >>

I think Favre, assuming Harvin suits up. If he doesn't I go with Bradford.

If Rice also plays then the decision get mercifully easier.
    Favre always seems to do well vs the Bears. I think he turned a page last week and will play better from here forward. The probable return of Rice will help, too.

• I hope so. I'm going against the #2 team and they are stacked! Thanks for the advice.