Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sent in 1799 1/2d for CC special. grade in. sad. Regrade ATS in , happy now

I just cracked this out and sent it in for the CC special. It has a couple nice die cracks on the obv. that I think held back the grade at ANACS.

18359503 201228 1799 1/2D Gr.Britain Genuine (94 - Altered Surface) image
Do you think I should end it across the street?
I finally sent it across the street and it came back PF64BN as a P-1242 COPPER PATTERN.image Does anyone know if that is the common one?

imageimage

Comments

• Before I got the chance to scroll down to the ANACS label, my thought was PR66 BN.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I'll go PR65 BN. Very nice coin.

• I'll go with the PR 65 BRN .

PCGS thinks all colors, no matter how vivid, colorful or nice are "Brown". image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR63BN

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Depending on if the reverse marks lower laeft are on th eslab or not, 63 if they are on the coin, 65 if they are on the slab. Yummy bronzy color.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say- PR64 seems to be the minimum- 66 is only possible if the marks are on the slab

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Good looking coin!
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Grade in.
    Do you think they got it right or wrong?
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    OUCH! Sorry to hear that. -Dan
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Grade in.
    Thanks,
    Richard >>

I'm glad I've quit playing this "game". image

<< <i>

<< <i>Grade in.
    Thanks,
    Richard >>

I'm glad I've quit playing this "game". image >>

I don't play the "game" either. I have had this coin for a few years and was happy the way it was and then PCGS had the CC special and it seemed like the best coin I had to go in the new type of slab. I am bummed by the result but still like the coin. I will try to get it back in some type of slab though.image Although I would have preferred PCGS.

Richard
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    It looks nice in the pictures so that is a bit of a surprise but can't make a call as obviously I haven't seen it in hand.

I had two Canadian coins sent in recently. One came back environmental damage (I did notice that) the other MS62 which was roughly the grade I was expecting.

I may try the first one somewhere else as there is no obvious damage to my eyes.

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I would definately go ATS with it.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    That really stinks.

Any thoughts as to why it was tagged with "Altered Surface?"

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
    Resubmit it again to PCGS under the $300 tier. If/when they grade it PF64BN, demand a "subjective" refund for the latter fees.

The coin looks OK to me from the images (I'm assuming the diffraction 'effect' is from the plastic); otherwise rinse the coin in pure acetone before resubmitting.

Good luck with ol' George. image
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    You got r******!!! I had a similar result with the CC special. Cracked out an 1858 small date Canadian 5c from an old ANACS MS62 holder - bagged for cleaning. Let's see what they do with this quarters copper CC special.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Let's see what they do with this quarters copper CC special.

It seems to be US Coins only - again.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

<< <i>Let's see what they do with this quarters copper CC special.

It seems to be US Coins only - again. >>

Hey, once every 8-10 years.......what's your gripe? Check back in 2018!!! imageimage

<< <i>Resubmit it again to PCGS under the $300 tier. If/when they grade it PF64BN, demand a "subjective" refund for the latter fees. >>

If only they would do that. I would demand my fee back from the 1901 1d AGC MS63 RED I tried to crossgrade and it DNC. I broke it out and submitted it raw and it came back MS64RD.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>

<< <i>Resubmit it again to PCGS under the $300 tier. If/when they grade it PF64BN, demand a "subjective" refund for the latter fees. >>

If only they would do that. I would demand my fee back from the 1901 1d AGC MS63 RED I tried to crossgrade and it DNC. I broke it out and submitted it raw and it came back MS64RD. >>

Therein lies the problem, IMO. In the real corporate world, if you make a mistake in design, or manufacturing, or delivery, you fix it - - - - on your dime!
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is a bit of an ugly story and does highlight some of the worst of the grading/TPG business.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    I should add I put 'Cross at any Grade' when I tried to cross the 1901 1d

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I would have kept it in the ANACS holder!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Only took me a few year but I finally sent it across the street and it came back PF64BN as a P-1242 COPPER PATTERN. Does anyone know if that is the common one?
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>Only took me a few year but I finally sent it across the street and it came back PF64BN as a P-1242 COPPER PATTERN. Does anyone know if that is the common one? >>

The KH21 isn't that rare as you see one every year or two. Mick Martin's article in the July 2009 Spink Circular documented the number of times the various Soho patterns appeared in sales from 1970 onwards. The P1242 had 12-17 offerings in this time. The commonest 1799 patterns are KH16 (P1233-5), KH22 (P1243) and KH24 (P1246), with the bronzed P1234 probably the commonest of these five.

Reading through the previous posts I was on the point of offering to take this 'problem' coin off your hands, even though I already have a decent one. There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I'll buy 'defective' pieces like that all day long given the chance.image
    Thanks for the info Rob. I would have no idea where to find that. I am just happy it is back in a slab saying it is good. Can't figure out what PCGS thought they saw wrong on it.

Do you have any idea on today's current value?

Thanks,

Richard

<< <i>

<< <i>Only took me a few year but I finally sent it across the street and it came back PF64BN as a P-1242 COPPER PATTERN. Does anyone know if that is the common one? >>

The KH21 isn't that rare as you see one every year or two. Mick Martin's article in the July 2009 Spink Circular documented the number of times the various Soho patterns appeared in sales from 1970 onwards. The P1242 had 12-17 offerings in this time. The commonest 1799 patterns are KH16 (P1233-5), KH22 (P1243) and KH24 (P1246), with the bronzed P1234 probably the commonest of these five.

Reading through the previous posts I was on the point of offering to take this 'problem' coin off your hands, even though I already have a decent one. There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I'll buy 'defective' pieces like that all day long given the chance.image >>

• RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Probably around the $600 mark. Patterns and proofs tend to slowly appreciate in price and are not as volatile as currency pieces.