Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the least-common, well toned Franklin Half?

DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
Topic.

-D
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Comments

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1963's present a challenge.

peacockcoins

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    1964... since none of DCarr's 1964 Franklin's have toned yet! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Ah, you went there.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a dickens of a time finding a nicely toned 1959-D

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Haha, I can either say this isn't very helpful or just take it as everyone has to fight their own battles in numismatics; finding coins to purchase that they find appealing is always relative to the person purchasing them.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...until PawPaul and Bushmaster chime in, you won't really know the right answer! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    I got to give Bman his props ........... if by well toned , you mean colorful attractive toning -then the 59-D is one of , if not the tuffest .

......could almost lump the entire 1959 to 1963 , P's and D's , into one boat . ........ very , very scarce with pretty , deep toning
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well...until PawPaul and Bushmaster chime in, you won't really know the right answer! image >>

Yes, they really know what they are talking about. image

For the following info I'm talking about coins grading MS65.

Toughest coins are the non mint set toned coins 1950, 1959-63; and also the D mints from 1949-53. (For the D mints I'm assuming well toned means attractively toned. There are PLENTY of well toned, if you mean completely toned, '49-'53D mint coins). From there it somewhat depends on what you stumble upon. I'd say 1950P, 1959 P&D, 1960P and 1963 P&D are reasonably easy (WITHIN the above mentioned subgroup). Probably '62P&D followed by some of the early D mints would be next. Then '61P&D. I'd say probably the '50 D and '60 D would be the toughest to find attractively toned, but as mentioned it somewhat depends on the luck of the draw and what you stumble upon.

• Options
    no doubt Skyman know's his Franklins .......... he's right about the 50-D and 60-D ; been looking a good 15 years in earnest for those two

..........never found a colorful "stunner" of either .

As Sy sez , a feller can't really pinpoint #1 , #2 , #3 , etc ............that feller might come across 2 or 3 really neat one's of a date in a short time while another guy might look for the same date for

years and never find one .

Take the 1961-P ......to me thats a stopper with near Rainbow toning ; but Bushmaster might have seen or owned 1/2 a dozen of them .

I eliminate the 1948-1958 P, D, and S's because of the mint sets, even the '50-P can be found pretty frequently nicely toned -

but them freakin' late dates are far and few between
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did somone say '61? Time to whip it out, PCGS MS-65 example! Waiting to see how this one looks in the upcoming Franklin book...

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    if by well toned , you mean colorful attractive toning -then the 59-D is one of , if not the tuffest

PawPaul, I know you've "seen" a nice PCGS MS65FBL image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's very easy to find rainbow toned 54P's

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>if by well toned , you mean colorful attractive toning -then the 59-D is one of , if not the tuffest

PawPaul, I know you've "seen" a nice PCGS MS65FBL image >>

i'm gonna stick to my guns ....the first set of PCGS MS65 and better I built in the 1990 - 2000 era had one coin I needed to complete the whole set ;

I never did find a real pretty color coin , and I looked high and low, for many a year.........'twas that date i'm saying is the tuffest of them all - 1959-D
  • Options
    If your talking overall rarest find a 53 s with fbl that has exceptional toning image
  • Options
    touche'
  • Options
    Found this at a B&M while waiting between races at a swim meet of my daughter's. There were two other toned '59-D's there, one an envelope toner in PCGS MS65, and one a goldenish one in NGC MS65. As mentioned previously, you just never know when lightening will strike with the tougher date/mm's. This one is an NGC MS65.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1950-D
  • Options
    Isn't the 1951-P supposed to be notoriously tough?
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    the 50-D is nearly impossible , the 51-P almost so ;

but I have seen a few of those dates with monster toning in PCGS MS65 and MS66 holders -

I have never seen a naturally toned Rainbow 59-D with monster color in a PCGS MS65 or better holder .......ever
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the 50-D is nearly impossible , the 51-P almost so ;

but I have seen a few of those dates with monster toning in PCGS MS65 and MS66 holders -

I have never seen a naturally toned Rainbow 59-D with monster color in a PCGS MS65 or better holder .......ever >>

Ditto.
    I don't go after the expensive/high-end franklins like you and Bushie, but I do watch them. I have seen some of most all of them, but not a high end, NATURALLY TONED "rainbow" or very colorful, 1959-D.
    I have seen a very nice, MS63 I think it was, a couple years ago, before I knew how difficult they were to find, on TT, and missed out because it hit a high level (3x or 4x what it "should" have gone for).....still kicking myself image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    here you go Bman -

this monster toned MS64 , sold last Sunday : hammered for over 500$ with juice !!

I had to use every trick in the book to lay off the piece , even at that astro level of price

had it been in a PCGS holder - I would have bid up as high as the sky image

I saw no reason for it to be only a 64 ......could be the old story of downgrading a point to be on the safe side with that unbelievable toning

• Options
    Interested in what you guys think about the color on my 51P I picked up this year. Link to Heritage is all I can do for now. Need to get photos done on my set. The 50,50D,54,59D and many others are all quite colorful and I have had them for some time.. My set is listed under mmarc on NGC and PCGS and pictures are now my priority. image

51P
  • Options
    I also agree that the 1959-D is one of the toughest dates to find with nice toning. I've been looking for one in MS65 with just average toning for quite some time.
  • Options

<< <i>here you go Bman -

this monster toned MS64 , sold last Sunday : hammered for over 500$ with juice !!

I had to use every trick in the book to lay off the piece , even at that astro level of price

I saw no reason for it to be only a 64 ......could be the old story of downgrading a point to be on the safe side with that unbelievable toning

image >>

I liked that one too, but not at that price. From the blowup image 64 seems reasonable. If I remember properly there was a gash on the bust.
  • Options
    I struggle to find nice 1958-D's...they just don't exist in quantities over a million or so image
  • Options

<< <i>Interested in what you guys think about the color on my 51P I picked up this year. Link to Heritage is all I can do for now. Need to get photos done on my set. The 50,50D,54,59D and many others are all quite colorful and I have had them for some time.. My set is listed under mmarc on NGC and PCGS and pictures are now my priority. image

51P >>

.....looks like nice luster , normal obv. surfaces, nice reverse - not really quite colorful though ; add it all together and I like it !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>here you go Bman -

image >>

I liked that one too, but not at that price. From the blowup image 64 seems reasonable. If I remember properly there was a gash on the bust. >>

wonder who got this piece ?
  • Options
    to the top for another post with similar question

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file