Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grade the 1919 H Penny

This is the one I picked up from Gene (1960NYGiants). Now it's time for you to grade it, it currently resides in a NGC 63 BN holder. For those of you that don't collect British both the H and KN pennies are notoriously weakly struck. There is very little detail showing in the hair and the beard on this example.

I am very pleased with the coin by the way, my previous 1919 H was a pretty ugly raw VF so this is a big upgrade however you grade it. Now if only I could get it slabbed with the Wybrit and 1jester pedigree listed.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the look for this date- it is MS- not sure beyond that from the image- I would be happy with that one too

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Still looks AU to me.

BTW: great photos.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I say AU55 as obv. looks to have slide marks/light abrade across high pts. of Georgie. Nice coin however IMO.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    As the last to see it raw (except the graders), I thought it was aEF to EF (British grade wise). IMO, it is short of real MS.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    My personal take on the coin is it's a choice AU. I think a British dealer would most likely call it EF-GEF, and I would not be surprised with a US TPG giving it anything from AU58-MS63. There does appear to be a friction mark across the obverse portrait, but the fields are really not disturbed. The reverse is actually much better, I have convinced myself that the weakness in Britannia, particularly on the leg, is all strike weakness.