Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I bought these the other day and wondered if there is any information as to what exactly they are. I bought three of them and they test positive for platinum. I realize that it is not a coin question, but I do not know where else to ask the question. Thanks for the patience. -Dan

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen anything like it but I do know a collector of that kind of stuff. What are its measurements?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Neat

What diagnostic test did you use to confirm platinum?

The eagle and wreath seem crude, but I don't really know anything about it. Looks like it's doubled a bit too. Share any info you dig up!
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It is 1"x 1" x 1/16" and weighs 10.2 grams. I showed it to a jeweler who tested it and said that it was platinum. I am not sure about the authenticity of it that is the reason for this post. Thanks. -Dan
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No expert but that just does not look like the "real deal".
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is 1"x 1" x 1/16" and weighs 10.2 grams. I showed it to a jeweler who tested it and said that it was platinum. >>

The density is not consistent with platinum. A perfectly 'square' block of 1x1x1/16 in = 1.0242 cubic cm, and with a weight of 10.2 g, that gives a density of 9.96 g/cubic cm.
    But Pt has a density of 21.45 g/cm^3. So it surely isn't pure platinum.
    Some other densities:
    Silver = 10.5 g/cm^3
    Gold = 19.32 g/cm^3
    Palladium = 12.02 g/cm^3
    Lead = 11.35 g/cm^3

Maybe it is silver with a Pt plating????
  • Options
    Reichsadler looks too screwy to be the real deal. Doesn't even look to the left.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a lot of novelty stuff put out in the 1970's, fake tokens, gold bars etc. Have to remember that was when some of the movies like the Dirty Dozen, Bridge at Remagen etc were coming out so there was a lot of interest in getting supposedly authentic loot.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to a replica gold bar but the eagle does look to the left and the chest and wing feathers are more detailed.

http://www.usmbooks.com/nazi_gold_bar.html

If it definitely is genuine platinum its still interesting.

• Options
    I took it to a dealer today and it tested sterling. I am miffed at how the guy I took it to yesterday tested it as platinum, unless it is coated with platinum??? Oh well....
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    These actually came from a very old collection. The guy died 10 years ago and his wife decided to part ways with it. They were mixed in with some other Nazi things like postcards, visas, patches, etc... I did not buy them specifically for the Nazi stuff, but they were in the collection. I am banking that they are older than the fakes that are selling on ebay.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. SA's theory sounds most likely to me, but that still leaves interesting possibilities yet to be ID'd.

I'll just say that I would've found it incredibly surprising that Germany would produce something without control marks of any kind (purity, "issuing" authority, mint, etc).. just not their style.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    You should cross-post this to the precious metals forum here. Might get a nibble.