Home Sports Talk

Vick Named Eagles Starting QB

Mixed emotions here, but guess it's the best direction for the team at this moment.

From Philly.com -

Eagles coach Andy Reid has named Michael Vick the starting quarterback, the team announced tonight in a stunning reversal. The move appears to be for the season.

An Eagles source said Reid still believes Kevin Kolb can be a high-quality starter, but that Vick was playing too well to be benched. His mobility, in particular, is something the team thinks they need to win now behind a shaky offensive line.

The Eagles leadership was unified in its decision on the starter, according to a front office source.

The decision is a sharp change for Reid, who on Sunday said Kevin Kolb would start Sunday in Jacksonville. Asked then if it would be hard to go back to Kolb given the way Vick played against the Lions, Reid said no.Vick himself said Monday that Kolb would start.

Looking back on Monday's press conference with hindsight, though, it appeared that Reid left the door open that day when asked again about Kolb's status.

"We’ll just see how it all works out," Reid said Monday. "I'm not here to justify one over the other, I’m not doing that. I told you before, I’m very proud of Michael. Michael’s a great player. Michael was one of the all-time great ones in this league at one time and he’s on his way back. I think we were able to see that and I think that’s a great, great thing. Kevin’s future is, he hasn’t had the same experience here as Michael has, but his future is a bright one.”

Asked about getting Vick on the field, Reid said, "Yeah, Michael will be out there. We’ll see how it goes.”

The Eagles have invested three years in grooming Kolb and have touted his potential all off-season, even extending his contract. But Vick's dazzling play in six quarters against the Packers and Lions apparently were enough to change even Reid's mind.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Reid_names_Vick_starter.html#ixzz10Crj8tGL
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Comments

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Folks don't get too mad or excited. His last couple of years in Atlanta he was terrible. His passer rating was just bad. The Eagles are making a mistake unless they were fooling with the public about Kolb being the better player. I get the feeling that Kolb isn't a top notch QB. The Eagles would have had a PR nightmare bringing in Vick as the starter in the beginning.--------Just an opinion.

Just to add: I think he is a nasty, gutless, spineless, grotesque turd and I would not want him in Seattle.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    VICK NAMES EAGLES STARTING QUARTERBACK
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    now they'll go 8-8 instead of 6-10...

he's exciting, at least he'll be fun to watch... I hear Kafka's got the true stuff anyways image
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a long time resident of Atlanta, I cannot find the words to tell you how I absolutely DETEST this pig of a man. Do some research and read for yourself the HORRIFIC things he did to those animals. We here had it up to our eyeballs with this pathetic creature. Let's not forget the false water bottle (pot stasher) in Miami, and flilpping off the fans here and other issues. That anyone could cheer for this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZER is beyond me.

I wish him nothing but failure and unending pain, he is a worthless piece of $%&@.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit of a surprise considering Andy Reid, but it is the right move if the Eagles want to have any chance of getting to the Super Bowl this season, and now I believe they might have a chance, although still a longshot.

Frankly, Kolb made the decision much easier...I mean he just looked so dam bad in that Packers game. I can't make any solid judgement based on the one game with Kolb, but he didn't look good in camp, and he had signed around a 10 million dollar contract with guaranteed money...I hope he's not the type to take the money and run...but the thought did enter my mind considering all the circumstances.

I agree with the comments as far as Michael Vick personally, and I think most people would agree with that...but my sports viewpoint is I root for the team, and I'm going to continue to root for the Eagles to win, no matter who is at quarterback.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe that Reid would make a decision like this after one bad half by Kolb in the game vs GB, after playing as well as he did in place of McNabb last season. To me, this shows that Reid is just desperate and knows the Eagles are in trouble this season.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i> That anyone could cheer for this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZER is beyond me. >>

Most fantasy team owners love this decision.

<< <i>I can't believe that Reid would make a decision like this after one bad half by Kolb in the game vs GB, after playing as well as he did in place of McNabb last season. To me, this shows that Reid is just desperate and knows the Eagles are in trouble this season. >>

Well sure, almost any NFL coach, even the best ones, are always a season or two away from getting fired if the owner doesn't like the progress and record of the team. NFL coaches should always maintain a "sense of urgency" about their team's situation, not only for the team, but for their own job as well.

But it wasn't just about one bad half...as stated, Kolb had an unimpressive camp and definitely regressed from last season for whatever reason. Maybe Kolb figures he's a super rich millionaire now, so why should he endure 11 defensive "killers" trying to beat his brains in every Sunday. Playing quarterback in the NFL isn't just about talent, it's also about heart, and whether or not Kolb has the necessary heart to be a #1 quarterback in the NFL remains to be seen...but I'm having some doubts...hope I'm wrong.
    Well sure, almost any NFL coach, even the best ones, are always a season or two away from getting fired if the owner doesn't like the progress and record of the team.

Thanks, Steve, for that always insightful commentary, LOL..but I thought Andy Reid was like the pope or a Supreme Court judge and appointed for life considering he hasn't been fired yet after all the abuse he's endured in Philly...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Well sure, almost any NFL coach, even the best ones, are always a season or two away from getting fired if the owner doesn't like the progress and record of the team.

Thanks, Steve, for that always insightful commentary, LOL..but I thought Andy Reid was like the pope or a Supreme Court judge and appointed for life considering he hasn't been fired yet after all the abuse he's endured in Philly... >>

Happy to do it - I've received 7 figure offers to write for Sports Illustrated and do commentary on ESPN, but I told them I'd rather post my insights on CU for free. image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>As a long time resident of Atlanta, I cannot find the words to tell you how I absolutely DETEST this pig of a man. Do some research and read for yourself the HORRIFIC things he did to those animals. We here had it up to our eyeballs with this pathetic creature. >>

That's pretty insightful. Watch this,, and then be sure to keep that sense of righteousness this upcoming Sunday when you're working through the back half of a sausage pizza and growling at the TV when Vick takes the first snap against the Jags.

I still haven't figured out why electrocuting a dog gets you 18 months in the hole, but there are college degree programs dedicated to teaching people how to systematically torture livestock.

<< <i>

<< <i>As a long time resident of Atlanta, I cannot find the words to tell you how I absolutely DETEST this pig of a man. Do some research and read for yourself the HORRIFIC things he did to those animals. We here had it up to our eyeballs with this pathetic creature. >>

That's pretty insightful. Watch this,, and then be sure to keep that sense of righteousness this upcoming Sunday when you're working through the back half of a sausage pizza and growling at the TV when Vick takes the first snap against the Jags.

I still haven't figured out why electrocuting a dog gets you 18 months in the hole, but there are college degree programs dedicated to teaching people how to systematically torture livestock. >>

Don't forget, as we were evolving over millions of years, other animals used to eat us, and of course some still do. I'd rather have it the way it is now, acknowledging that cruelty to animals should be unacceptable. However that being said, harvesting animals with humane slaughter, and also hunting game animals with a quick kill is acceptable to me.
    Grocery stores and the restaurant industry do a terrific job of packaging and sanitizing the brutality behind the meat on your plate. We are conditioned not to make those connections in our brain.

Still, the torture and killing of dogs, loyal and trustworthy companions to many homes and families is even more offensive to our sense of decency, and so the reaction is that much more personal.

Because, let's face it, unless you grew up on a farm, you'll never forge the kind of bond with a pig that you do with your beloved German Shepherd..

<< <i>Grocery stores and the restaurant industry do a terrific job of packaging and sanitizing the brutality behind the meat on your plate. We are conditioned not to make those connections in our brain.

Still, the torture and killing of dogs, loyal and trustworthy companions to many homes and families is even more offensive to our sense of decency, and so the reaction is that much more personal.

Because, let's face it, unless you grew up on a farm, you'll never forge the kind of bond with a pig that you do with your beloved German Shepherd.. >>

This is a very reasonable description of the fundamental inconsistency at work, but it's not a reasonable justifcation for the inconsistency. I know (or assume) that you weren't intending to justify it, but at some point people need to stare this inconsistency square in the eyes and explain to themselves why they're willing to perpetuate it.

We could apply this exact same line of reasoning to the difference in the way 'house slaves' and 'field slaves' were treated in the antebellum South. Sure, we tend to sympathize with those people/beasts that we spend the most time with, but all that does is explain why different standards are in fact applied. It doesn't explain why it's right, or fair, to apply these different standards.

After the Vick scandal broke I honestly thought-- and I blush to admit this, because I know I should have known better-- that we were going to see a mature and elevated discourse on the way animals are treated in the Industrial State, and yet this issue never took flight, despite the fact that one can reasonably argue that the animals in Bad Newz Kennels were treated better than an average calf in a veal farm.

<< <i>Grocery stores and the restaurant industry do a terrific job of packaging and sanitizing the brutality behind the meat on your plate. We are conditioned not to make those connections in our brain.

Because, let's face it, unless you grew up on a farm, you'll never forge the kind of bond with a pig that you do with your beloved German Shepherd.. >>

My grandparents on one side of the family were farmers, and my ex-brother in law was a farmer - I've seen a lot, a real lot of it first hand, and it isn't pretty. I'm not gonna go into any details, but suffice to say I don't see how it could have been handled any differently, and I've never observed or heard of any farmer who I know that enjoyed any abuse of animals. Frankly, to them it's a business and a living, and we are their customers.

Abuse of animals is all in one's perspective I guess...for example take a look at almost any horse race and notice how those animals are being severely whipped down the stretch...some might call that a form of torture...and on public display...I've observed many times at the horse racetrack some of the nicest looking little old ladies who probably wouldn't even think about hitting their pet cat, scream at the jockeys to hit the horse harder when they've got a deuce riding on it...and I used to scream even louder.
    This is a very reasonable description of the fundamental inconsistency at work, but it's not a reasonable justifcation for the inconsistency. I know (or assume) that you weren't intending to justify it, but at some point people need to stare this inconsistency square in the eyes and explain to themselves why they're willing to perpetuate it.

We could apply this exact same line of reasoning to the difference in the way 'house slaves' and 'field slaves' were treated in the antebellum South. Sure, we tend to sympathize with those people/beasts that we spend the most time with, but all that does is explain why different standards are in fact applied. It doesn't explain why it's right, or fair, to apply these different standards.

After the Vick scandal broke I honestly thought-- and I blush to admit this, because I know I should have known better-- that we were going to see a mature and elevated discourse on the way animals are treated in the Industrial State, and yet this issue never took flight, despite the fact that one can reasonably argue that the animals in Bad Newz Kennels were treated better than an average calf in a veal farm.

You are correct in your assumption of the intent in my post and I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, Boo. I do know that issues like these that challenge the conditioned perceptions of an individual are likely to be met with a great deal of resistance and I suspect that is partly why the discourse you alluded to in your last paragraph never came to fruition.

Steve, you make a good point, too, in your analogy of the old lady at the track, and that further illustrates my point...the same lady who hand feeds her precious tabby cat thinks nothing of urging a jockey to take to the whip down the stretch because there is a disconnect there between reality and the world as she perceives it--much like the person at the supermarket picking up a package of veal cutlets with no appreciation of the torture that brought that package to the shelf. It's all a matter of perception, and how reality coincides with that perception..

<< <i>

My grandparents on one side of the family were farmers, and my ex-brother in law was a farmer - I've seen a lot, a real lot of it first hand, and it isn't pretty. I'm not gonna go into any details, but suffice to say I don't see how it could have been handled any differently, and I've never observed or heard of any farmer who I know that enjoyed any abuse of animals. Frankly, to them it's a business and a living, and we are their customers.

Abuse of animals is all in one's perspective I guess...for example take a look at almost any horse race and notice how those animals are being severely whipped down the stretch...some might call that a form of torture...and on public display...I've observed many times at the horse racetrack some of the nicest looking little old ladies who probably wouldn't even think about hitting their pet cat, scream at the jockeys to hit the horse harder when they've got a deuce riding on it...and I used to scream even louder. >>

The treatment of race horses is another excellent example. If someone can vilify Michael Vick and then jaunt off for an afternoon at the track then that person has an ability to rationalize that I can only envy.

And to be clear, I think almost anyone would agree that there's a significant difference between the treatment of animals slaughtered on a family farm, and the animals slaughtered at, say, Carroll Foods in N. Carolina.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Abuse of animals is all in one's perspective I guess...for example take a look at almost any horse race and notice how those animals are being severely whipped down the stretch...some might call that a form of torture...and on public display...I've observed many times at the horse racetrack some of the nicest looking little old ladies who probably wouldn't even think about hitting their pet cat, scream at the jockeys to hit the horse harder when they've got a deuce riding on it...and I used to scream even louder. >>

The treatment of race horses is another excellent example. If someone can vilify Michael Vick and then jaunt off for an afternoon at the track then that person has an ability to rationalize that I can only envy.

And to be clear, I think almost anyone would agree that there's a significant difference between the treatment of animals slaughtered on a family farm, and the animals slaughtered at, say, Carroll Foods in N. Carolina. >>

That is a very pertinent phrase there..."ability to rationalize"...Adolf Hitler loved dogs and I doubt if he ever abused one...but murdering six million innocent Jews, twenty million Russians and countless others, didn't seem to bother him.

• << <i>now they'll go 8-8 instead of 6-10...

he's exciting, at least he'll be fun to watch... I hear Kafka's got the true stuff anyways image >>

Really?