Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How do they know you really have the coin???

Hey

Not that I want to attempt this, but...

In theory (or maybe somebody's tried) couldn't somebody just create a fake registry set by pulling registration numbers off coins for sale on different websites? Or, a bunch of people could get together and "collude" to make a set from friends, relatives, clubs, etc? There are few registry sets relative to the thousands of graded coins for the more "abundant" varieties. It seems the system could be "gamed" without numbers showing up in an already registered set.

I know most of the top 5 (and a lot more) in each category are pretty well known by lots of you...maybe it's just my warped mind thinking too much... Am I missing something here? Maybe I should just go to sleep...

Still working hard on my Wheat Lincolns!

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not implying any malfeasance on my part, but I can say with 100% certainty that you're not the first to have such creative thoughts.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Louie's set count? Very creative on someone's part! image
  • Options
    This has been discussed, and there have been, and maybe still are, those who have "bogus" coins in their registry set, some "top sets".
    Unbenownst to most of us, some have been caught, and told to correct the "errors". There are others though.
    They know who they are, and if not corrected, they will be made known, in time. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, one could create a "bogus" set with a little work, but the answer is, why? It's not like you would get much resale value out of it! What fun would it be, anyway?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    WHAT FUN WOULD IT BE? WHAT FUN WOULD IT BE? WHAT FUN WOULD IT BE? ARE YOU CRAZY?????? It's ideal. You get to anonymously stroke your ego without having to spend a lot of cash.

I love the idea of putting together a Registry Set of coins that don't exist. I think I might put togehter a type set. I've got a bunch of inserts sitting around.
  • Options
    Sounds like unrequited masterbation to me.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Is it just me, or does this topic come up about every 2-3 weeks? Funny how many people seem to think of this strategy when they are climbing th e sets. Not that many carry through with it. But lots think of it...
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    It is an appropriate question from those who haven't heard this discussion before. Everyone thinks of it. That's natural. Only some act. That is natural too, but most rude, and is certainly a disservice to our hobby.
    The amazing thing is that some of the most respected, or should I say, egomaniacal, attempt this sort of thing.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what the registry is all about. If you have the inserts, put a set together. You are only "stroking" your ego if you think you have something (which anyone who does this does not!)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053