Home Sports Talk
Options

Hey Redskins fans!!!

HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
....who listen to the local Skins coverage on the radio. I had the misfortune of picking that broadcast up while on the road this afternoon (Texans game)

Has to be by far the most annoying, confusing, idiotic banter I've EVER heard from a professional sports team (and I listen to sports on the radio a lot).

It sounded like 3(?) ANCIENT, dribbling old men, confused about almost everything going on with the game stomping all over the 1 play-by-play guys. It was pathetic how they couldn't see the field or understand what was happening. They'd make weird comparison or assertions about stuff that may or may not have been going on-on the field. It was mildly amusing listening to them discuss among eachother what the OT rules were supposed to be...otherwise cloudy, questionable commentary on whether they should kick or punt during 4 qtr or OT. Had I not been interested in the actual outcome of the game I wouldn't have been forced to listen to that verbal drek. I feel bad for you guys.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who are the commentators?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I absolutely couldn't tell. One name was "Sonny".

That's only 'cause one guy said, "Hey Sonny, what do you think about that pass." and he said "I dont know, I wasn't a quarterback."

WTH?!?!?! What are you in the booth for you old codger imageimage
  • Options
    "Hey Sonny, what do you think about that pass." and he said "I dont know, I wasn't a quarterback."

I was going to guess Sonny Jurgenson, former Skins QB great, but that last part would seem to rule out that possibility, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    That's the only Sonny I know that was a football player (prominent enough to be color-guy, anyway)...

The guys were seriously confused. I need to find a postcast of it. If you didn't hear it, you wouldn't believe it.

ok, enough of my chit.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was Sonny Jurgensen, Sam Huff, and Larry Michael.

You really have to be drinking heavily during the game (like they are) to appreciate their old timers wit, stories and banter.

They get a free pass around here though ... Well, because they're Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff.

They've been calling Redskins radio games forever here in the D.C. area, and you're not alone in thinking it's a strange broadcast. People seem to either love them or hate them.

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    no matter how bad those old farts may be, NO ONE is as bad as the San Antonio Spurs local TV guys.

Unfortunately, I live in Spur country (gag) and last year during the playoffs, I had to watch their local channel to see one of the Dallas/SA games. I don't remember this buttplug's name, but I've never heard such un-biased bullcrap during a professional sports telecast in my life.

His knowledge of what is considered an foul rivals a teenager reffing a local pee-wee league game. He didn't bother even learning the names of half the guys on the opposing team's bench. And his voice is whiny....it sounds like he just got kicked in the nuts and still has to speak.

Anyway, F the Spurs and this guy

• Options

<< <i>Yes, it was Sonny Jurgensen, Sam Huff, and Larry Michael.

You really have to be drinking heavily during the game (like they are) to appreciate their old timers wit, stories and banter.

They get a free pass around here though ... Well, because they're Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff.

They've been calling Redskins radio games forever here in the D.C. area, and you're not alone in thinking it's a strange broadcast. People seem to either love them or hate them. >>

I would have had them each about 20 years older. First time ever and I found it horribly distracting, I really couldn't tell what was going on in the game.. if they only didn't stomp all over the play by play calls...

o well..
  • Options
    Found this transcript on the web after Sunday's game that Hyperion was alluding to...pretty funny stuff here, LOL..

Sam Huff and the overtime rules

Sam Huff's place in this town's sports history is secure. He's a legend in multiple fields. He's as comfortable on Sunday afternoons as apple crisp and Wade Phillips screwing something up. That said, Huff could maybe use a primer on the NFL's overtime rules. Highlights from Sunday's broadcast.

Before the coin toss, Larry Michael explains that overtime is sudden death.

Michael: Of course there's new overtime rules in the playoffs, but not during the regular season, so the winner of this coin toss is obviously going to have the first possession and the first chance to score.

Huff: I thought everybody had one chance.

Michael: That's gonna be the case in the playoffs. Rule change for the NFL this year.

After the coin toss, Michael asks Huff about the defense taking the field.

Huff: Well, they'll be on the field first, but they're kicking the ball. You're not gonna score when you're kicking the ball....Let me say this, you don't want to try an onsides kick here, do you?

Michael: No, I would not do that.

Huff: You've got to kick it as hard as you can.

Later....

Huff: This is sudden death, isn't it?

Michael: It sure is.

As Graham Gano prepares for his first crack at that 52-yard field goal, Sam chimes in.

Huff: If he doesn't make it, is the game called, or do you go into another overtime?

Sonny Jurgensen: Houston would take over where he kicks it from, Sam.

Huff: Oh man, whooo, I think I'd punt it.

Jurgensen: Ohhh, now you'd punt it.

Huff: Well, I don't know all these rules. You do.

Gano makes it, but was iced, and then misses it.

Huff [incredulous]: Double overtime?

Michael: Nope.

Jurgensen: No no no, overtime continues.

Huff: It does?

Jurgensen: Nobody's scored yet!

Huff: I know, but you might have double overtime if it keeps going like this.

Jurgensen: You've got seven minutes to go.

Huff: What John? [Listens to producer.] Well, I've been advised if they run out of time and they haven't scored, it's over.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this transcript on the web after Sunday's game that Hyperion was alluding to...pretty funny stuff here, LOL..

Sam Huff and the overtime rules

>>

He knows them as well as McNadd did.