Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Liquidation advice needed

I'm having to close out my sets and get rid of my collection. I've been out of the scene for a while and have no idea what has happened to the market over the last several years, so I'm at a loss to set prices for any of this without spending many hours studying things but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a bath on it. Anyone care to make offers or offer suggestions?

All PCGS

$1 Morgan dollar 1903 MS66 (white)
$1 Peace dollar 1923 MS66 (white)
50c Franklin half 1963 PR68DCAM (white)
25c Standing Liberty quarter 1930 MS65FH (white)
10c Barber dime 1916 MS65 (partially toned - toning is good but not great)
5c Buffalo nickel 1938-D MS67
5c Liberty nickel 1904 MS65
5c Jefferson nickel 1997 SMS FS MS70
1c Indian Head cent 1909 MS65RD
1c Lincoln cent 1955 PR67RD DCAM
1c Lincoln cent 1988-S PR70DCAM
1c Lincoln cent 1989-S PR70DCAM

Plus a bunch of others that I'm pretty sure are valued under a $100 each.

And the following 2 have turned in their PCGS cases

$1 Peace dollar high relief 1921 MS64 (nasty grey color)
25c Washington quarter 1963 PR69DCAM (white speckles)

What should I do with them? Does PCGS's guarantee cover this?

And ... the first several years of statehood quarters all 69DCAMS - already sold the 1999 70DCAM's. eBay? Leave 'em as tips? Spend 'em?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure on your timetable and urgency of liquidation

if 3-4 months is fine, I would recommend Heritage or Teletrade
    - the market is not dropping so fast that the increased value would cover decline

If you need cash in next week - would have to call some PVGS dealers and see what they maybe interested in

the BST board on individual/ small groups

eBay if you can take good pics and have history
    or else possibly consign to a big eNay seller that has a following

as far as the turned coins - regrade is the way to go - the new grade is compared to the old and if lower, then some sort of exchange/compensation is agreed upon

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS price guide on this site will give you a good RETAIL value for all your PCGS graded coins. You can negotiate from there. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>The PCGS price guide on this site will give you a good RETAIL value for all your PCGS graded coins. You can negotiate from there. Steveimage >>

In many instances, those prices are well above retail. Please don't give the guy false hope. image I would suggest consulting the Heritage auction archives, and in the case of the modern coinage, the Teletrade prices realized.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

PCGS's price guide has always seemed to be just a tad on the high side (even for those who sell on late night TV). I guess they just want to instill optimism in everyone.

I had not even thought of Heritage. I've had all of my slabs inventoried on their site for years so the prices were right there for me already!

It's going to be easiest to just list most of the better stuff with Heritage - I never bought from Teletrade much but I guess I should check them out for selling.

As for those 69DCAM statehood quarters that are more common than MS64 quarters ........ what's the easiest way to break them out of the slabs so I can use them in parking meters? Or maybe I can get rid of them at a flea market!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The PCGS price guide on this site will give you a good RETAIL value for all your PCGS graded coins. You can negotiate from there. Steveimage >>

In many instances, those prices are well above retail. Please don't give the guy false hope. image I would suggest consulting the Heritage auction archives, and in the case of the modern coinage, the Teletrade prices realized. >>

Mark, I assumed Jim knows the difference between RETAIL values and Wholesale values and can then make a ballpark estimate. Trying to "judge" which coins in the PCGS guide are "too high" for RETAIL is subjective because each of us has a different idea as to what RETAIL price really is. It depends on whether you are buying or selling. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Heritage would be my first choice if I had or wanted to sell. In a quick pinch for smaller valued coins, I may consider the local brick-and-mortar, but that's a very inefficient way to do it. If you can wait for the nearest coin show, you might be able to compare offers with multiple vendors.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    for the statehood quarters - give them as gifts to younger collectors - kids/nephews/nieces/grandkids/neighbors
    it is surprising how many kids have statehood quarter collections from circulation

easier than cracking them out for meter parking