Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great color photo advice

How do you use an SLR to get great color pictures?

What is the best way to mount a camera? Just tripod or is there something better?

How about lighting?

Is there a way to get photos as good as the way PCGS takes them or close using a good SLR camera from home?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy Mark's book.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. To answer these questions you'd have to write a book.

    Wait...there is one. Buy Mark Goodman's book and 95% of your questions will be answered. You could also do a little searching on this forum and find dozens of useful threads on this topic.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy Mark Goodman's book and read it. The book costs about $20 and there are often copies on ebay.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭
    OK a quick decent answer:

    Get your camera as stable as possible.

    Copystand is best, stable tri-pod is next

    Set your camera's white balance, using a gray card or white printer paper.

    Then use 1 light source, I find mine works best at 12 o'clock but you will have to play around, and it will depend on each coin.

    Most importantly practice, practice, practice.


    But really you should buy Mark's book.

    image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>OK a quick decent answer:

    Get your camera as stable as possible.

    Copystand is best, stable tri-pod is next

    Set your camera's white balance, using a gray card or white printer paper.

    Then use 1 light source, I find mine works best at 12 o'clock but you will have to play around, and it will depend on each coin.

    Most importantly practice, practice, practice.


    But really you should buy Mark's book. >>



    You need more then 1 light source.

    Placing 1 at 10 O'clock and 1 at 2 O'clock works best, on some coins a 3rd light source at 6 O'clock makes a huge difference.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>OK a quick decent answer:

    Get your camera as stable as possible.

    Copystand is best, stable tri-pod is next

    Set your camera's white balance, using a gray card or white printer paper.

    Then use 1 light source, I find mine works best at 12 o'clock but you will have to play around, and it will depend on each coin.

    Most importantly practice, practice, practice.


    But really you should buy Mark's book. >>



    If your avatar is an example of this technique then that might be a good argument for not using one light source. By the way, I use multiple lights.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭
    I found this page on the website posted and it is amazingly helpful:

    http://www.coinimaging.com/photography.html
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

    Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

    Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>OK a quick decent answer:

    Get your camera as stable as possible.

    Copystand is best, stable tri-pod is next

    Set your camera's white balance, using a gray card or white printer paper.

    Then use 1 light source, I find mine works best at 12 o'clock but you will have to play around, and it will depend on each coin.

    Most importantly practice, practice, practice.


    But really you should buy Mark's book. >>



    If your avatar is an example of this technique then that might be a good argument for not using one light source. By the way, I use multiple lights. >>





    LOL, that was done with 3 lights.

    This was taken w/ 1 light, and is the closest real representation I can make.
    image

    I used the technique from Mark's book on page 70. Thank you! image

    I thought giving a lil advice was better than repeating only read, buy Mark's book.

    Sorry you don't like my avatar.
    image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    image
    image
    image


    Leo

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>If your avatar is an example of this technique then that might be a good argument for not using one light source. By the way, I use multiple lights. >>

    LOL, that was done with 3 lights.

    This was taken w/ 1 light, and is the closest real representation I can make.

    I used the technique from Mark's book on page 70. Thank you! image

    I thought giving a lil advice was better than repeating only read, buy Mark's book.

    Sorry you don't like my avatar. >>

    Your coin looks incredible! Congrats.

    The avatar photo is, however, underexposed and has too many shadows. The white balance appears off (look at the color of the paper the coin sits on). And it needs better focus.

    One lamp sometimes works, but rarely. I have five for use with the copy stand but only two or three are usually needed.
    Lance.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO SUCCEED!!!

    OK, ok... I've been at this a while and tried just about everything, I use a copy stand, own a Sigma 150 Macro, and a Nikon D300, and have two flashes, BUT, I'm going to tell you the ONE THING that made the BIGGEST DIFFERENCE for me. Early on, I purchased a Ray-Flash adaptor, which is basically a ring-flash adaptor for your hotshoe mounted camera flash. At first, I tried using it, thinking that lighting from all angles would be the trick. NO GOOD! It just made the images look cartoonish. So I discarded the ring thingey and went back to using two flashes again. And WHAT A PAIN! But, the results were good, and like the above poster said, using two at 10 and 2 is the best way. But one day, I was flipping through eBay flashes and saw this pretty cool looking flash that was being touted as good for jewelry, and gemstones in particular. Basically, it was a ring flash with shutters so that you could open up three or six parts of the ring to get the most dazzling results. OK... Now the wheels started turning. I had a ring flash. Why not just cover up the parts I don't need and leave the optimal positions for light exposed? So, armed with scissors, black construction paper, and tape, I constructed a cover for my ring flash adaptor that only left exposed the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. Got these on the first try:
    image
    image
    image
    image

    Results have been similar for just about everything. I now have three coverings that I switch around for troublesome coins, one being a 10, 2, and 6 o'clock, and another having openings at 3 and 9. But basically, 90 percent of the time, I nail every coin shot with the 10 and 2 cover.

    Now, I just have to figure out what to do with my extra flash. I haven't touched it since using the ring cover.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt, great images! I've never considered a ring flash much less any flash at all. I don't know many of us who use one (or two!). But I'm certainly impressed with the results.

    What are the downsides, if any? How long have you been using it? And why have you held off telling us until now, dagnabit?
    Lance.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I haven't held off in telling you guys, Lance. You'll find my advice in at least one or two other threads. image

    And seriously, the only downside I can think of is that you still have to understand how to work the camera, tweak the color balance, set the proper levels, f-stop, etc....
  • Options
    Save yourself the time and headache, not to mention the investment in equipment, and take your coins to Todd at a show. image
    BGG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file