Home U.S. Coin Forum

BluCC vs. TrueView

I tried to find another comparision between Todd and PCGS; maybe I didn't use the right keywords?

I have approximately 50 coins I need to have imaged and can't decide between Todd and PCGS. The coins will be submitted for Secure Plus, then imaged with TrueView while at PCGS or forwarded to Todd. (I had to recycle images from the forum; I hope QuarterCollector and scher don't mind.)

What are the pros and cons of each image?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used both with varying degrees of satisfaction with each. I feel the biggest difference is that TrueView gets the color exactly right and BluCC tends to show the luster better. I was extremely pleased with my first go round with Todd, slightly less so with the second as I don't think the images were as representative of the coins. I've also had the same mixed experience with TrueView in the past, so that's not a good basis to make a decision.

If the coins are going into PCGS anyway, and you want the colors nailed, then by all means TruView them. If you're at a show and you want luster shots then by all means BluCC. Any other circumstances then you've got a decision to make.
    Here is what I call a luster shot. Note the swirling luster lines compared to the very flat color of the TrueView commem that you posted. The colors are true to life in this shot. If this was representative of every image produced, this would be my preference.

Here, however, is a coin that TrueView would do a much better job of showing the colors on. No swirling luster on this one - just deep reflective fields that have a lot more color than show up in the image:

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that Todd will do raw and across the street coins. Or perhaps PCGS plastic that you don't want to spend the
    money to resubmit but do want pics. Older holders and such.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I like Todd because you can describe to him what you are looking to achieve, and he usually gives you at least 3-4 images of each side and lets you pick em.....TruView, you get one shot that THEY decide. Todd is also much much quicker, and with better communication :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    todd provides more optopns and I believe he charges less than trueview if PCGS were smart ,they would hire todd
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Todd because you can describe to him what you are looking to achieve, and he usually gives you at least 3-4 images of each side and lets you pick em.....TruView, you get one shot that THEY decide. Todd is also much much quicker, and with better communication :-) >>

I agree with Jack. He does have great communication. And in addition to the beautiful color and quality of Todd's photos, he will edit the image design to just about any format you want, and he will size them to whatever size you need. He also provides a dvd, and will even have prints made of the photos if you need them. You don't have these custom choices with TrueView.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    IMO...

Pros for Todd - Custom text, custom image (mirrored), cost is 60% of TrueView, image can be modified at a later date (text, template, etc.)
    Cons for Tood - Coin is imaged in slab

Pros for PCGS - Coin is imaged raw, image automatically loads in Registry
    Cons for PCGS - Cost is 67% more than Todd, image is non-customizable and has marketing (that I pay for)
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd has imaged about 70 of my coins. A few of them are already TrueViewed by a previous owner. IMO, Todd's images are superior for capturing luster and just as good on color for most of the coins I've had imaged (mostly Buffalos, Walkers and Commems). You couldn't ask for a better guy to work with on top of all that. I also like it that I am purchasing images from a guy who is a fellow collector.
    Bottom line, I have no problem with the TrueView images but I will continue to use Todd.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my opinion but I don't think it's a true comparision. One is shooting the coin raw, the other through a slab having to contend with factors the raw shooter doesn't.

They're not on an equal playing field!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    I just sent 14 coins to Todd. Received them two days ago. Total turnaround time ,seven days. With Tru-View make a mistake on how much you owe them and you will not know about it until you call them. Besides that, the images came out great. Here are a few of them. The images look the same as in hand.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just my opinion but I don't think it's a true comparision. One is shooting the coin raw, the other through a slab having to contend with factors the raw shooter doesn't.

They're not on an equal playing field! >>

Good point to be considered.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just my opinion but I don't think it's a true comparision. One is shooting the coin raw, the other through a slab having to contend with factors the raw shooter doesn't.

They're not on an equal playing field! >>

Good point to be considered. >>

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    You could really make things interesting by adding other forum photographers into the mix. You could send one coin to each photographer and get a nice diverse selection of photos. image

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you could just save a bundle and scan your ownimage
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Or you could just save a bundle and scan your ownimage >>

Scan each photographer and get a nice diverse selection of photos? image
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I have used Todd now for over a year.He is the official photographer of LSRC image
    99% of the pics on my site were done by him.
    I love his pics of my type coins with color.I get great comments from my customers on how the coin looks equal or better than the pic.
    I love hearing that.
    It means zero returns because of a juiced pic.
    If you want the pics to be juiced,I can tell you who to go to image

We are working on geting white coins to look white without golden toning on them,as the lens pics up any color at all.
    This is typical on Peace dollars that had been dipped at one time,and there is color coming back.
    To the naked eye,the coin looks white,but the lens sees something we can't.

I have also used PCGS.
    Not as many times,as the turn around time is too long for me.
    I need my pics in and out.

PCGS has done a fine job also,and would not have a problem sending a special coin to them.
    I am sure a better pic can be taken of a raw coin without the plastic,as there can be some problems with scratched or messed up plastic.

One last thing about Todd..when he edits your pictures,he gives you many choices of backgrounds,where PCGS only gives you one..

Either way,you will be a very happy camper image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Wow..great shots..either way better than i could do by a mile..
    Kinda think TDN is right about the color vs. luster thing..
    Bruce Scher
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a BluView fan, in large part because of the options you get (multiple exposures for each coin), personal service and attention, faster turnaround and lower price.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You could really make things interesting by adding other forum photographers into the mix. You could send one coin to each photographer and get a nice diverse selection of photos. image >>

I believe that Brandon aka Poorguy did that a number of years ago. IIRC there was a wide disparity amongst the images of the same coin.
  • all in all I would and do chose BluCC everytime. Not that trueview isn't a good product it's just that todd has better service and more flexibilty
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You could really make things interesting by adding other forum photographers into the mix. You could send one coin to each photographer and get a nice diverse selection of photos. image >>

You mean there are other photographers here, too? image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You mean there are other photographers here, too? image >>

Come on, you know you were just lucky to win the last 4 or 5 photo contests.image
  • I am looking forward to having my collection imaged by Todd in Baltimoreimage
    steve

myCCset
  • I've had the best luck with Mark Goodman.
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Did not mean to take anything away from Todd here. He is one of the most aggressive learners here and is always adding new things to his bag of tricks.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Bluecc did a great job on this circulated dime.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the biggest difference is that TrueView gets the color exactly right and BluCC tends to show the luster better.

I think TDN makes an excellent point. And it helps to see side-by-side comparisons.

These aren't Todd images. They're mine. But IMO they are much closer to what the coins look like. The "flat" Trueviews do not appeal to me much (though it's cool they're tied to the coins and inherited by new owners).
    Lance.

imageimage

imageimage

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a no brainer to go with BluView with when capturing lustre. Thanks for the posts TDN.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very happy with having Todd image my coins vs. TrueView for several reasons including, but not limited to, the following:

-I can keep my original slabs w/o reholder and a reholder fee
    -I can get all my coins imaged, even the NGC and raw coins
    -Multiple images of the same coin so I'm more confident I will get a shot I'm happy with
    -Not as expensive
    -I can get them imaged at a show and not have to worry about my coins being away from me and/or have to deal with the mail
    -Most importantly, I think Todd does a better job. Trueviews, especially on toned coins look too cartoonish to me as they show no luster and at times exaggerate the original color. I have seen some Trueviews that look awesome, but then when I've seen the same coins in hand I hardly could recognize them because they didn't look anything like the TrueView. Todd's pics do a pretty good job of capturing the true color and luster of coins and as long as your slab isn't scratched to hell and as long as too much of your coin isn't covered by the gasket in the slab, the images come out just as clear as a TrueView even through the plastic.
  • I used to swear by PCGS TrueViews. If you check out my reg sets, up until last year I TrueViewed everything. Then I met Todd, sent him a few coins, and was amazed with the results. Todd is now my choice hands down.

Todd's Pros: Custom formatting, reasonable prices, direct communication, fast turnaround, will retake pictures over and again until he gets the results you want.

PCGS: Standard format, very expensive after paying for reholdering, pictures, and restickers if the coin is CAC'd, Good luck talking to someone, ok turnaround, the picture then send it what you get.

Just my humble opinion.

Tom

• << <i>Here, however, is a coin that TrueView would do a much better job of showing the colors on. No swirling luster on this one - just deep reflective fields that have a lot more color than show up in the image:

image >>

OMG!!! I hope you dont mind but Im going to use that as my new screen saver. Hands down she is one of the nicest 1796 I have ever seen.

Tom
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought from Charmy....imaged by Todd in Baltimore Fall 2010

Same coin is now Secure Plus TrueView.....

Interesting perspective!!
  • Todd has imaged over 150 pieces for me, and there have only been a few that I have asked him to do again, I think he does great work.
    Let me add that he presents a piece with an often time dramatic effect, but without any subterfuge.
  • I don't mind at all image BTW here are two better photos to compare.

• << <i>
    We are working on geting white coins to look white without golden toning on them,as the lens pics up any color at all.
    This is typical on Peace dollars that had been dipped at one time,and there is color coming back.
    To the naked eye,the coin looks white,but the lens sees something we can't.
    >>

Thank you for saying that - it is an important point that the naysayers need to recognize. The other great point i erased is about no returns!

• Bluview all the way. I don't think you can call the Truview department and have them willingly reshoot your coin. On the other hand, Todd readily accepts your input

on all edits, AND he returns your phone calls. Imagine that!!
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree with Jack. He does have great communication. And in addition to the beautiful color and quality of Todd's photos, he will edit the image design to just about any format you want, and he will size them to whatever size you need. He also provides a dvd, and will even have prints made of the photos if you need them. You don't have these custom choices with TrueView. >>

I did not know that he would order prints of his images.

I thought I'd have to send them to WinkFlash myself...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd is the BEST !!! Dropped off several toners at the LB show today, and I'm very pleased with the results. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file