Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New '63 Topps Leader...WoW!!

There a new kid in town.....1963 Hank, has just taken over the #1 spot in the 1963 Registry. Wow....what an impressive way to do it too. This set is a brand new addition, just added today. 99.48 complete with a weighted GPA of 8.10 and a set rating of 8.04.
This guy's set is amazing, and came completely out of the blue. Knocked my little butt down to 4th place...but what an impressive way to do it!! Congrats Hank!!
1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."

Comments

• Options
    I think we'll see more of this in the future. There are some awesome sets out there that are the hobby's best kept secrets. Once they hit the boards, the current top 5 in many years will be history. Some collectors wait to register their sets until they are complete. My guess is this collector has already identified the final pieces to the set and will soon be at 100%.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Dan Schatzeder just registered his 65 set today and it's going to be a great set (actually already is). 68% with an average of 8.47. That's a lot of 9's.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Wayne, Its a great set, but you are still the man w/ a 94% completion, an inspiration to us all..image...jay
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    There is also a new major player in the 1956 Topps baseball registry. The Dave Lemon set has a weighted rating of 8.63 with 94%+ completed. Compare that to Fogel's leading 8.34, and it is impressive indeed! He has 198 PSA 9's listed so far, most of which have pops of 5 or less.

The reason his set rating is only 7.25 is because he is missing 20 cards, 15 of which are the highest rated cards in the set. Even if he "only" gets these in 8's, he will easily make it to #1.

I am at current #4. and am dwarfed by this awesome collection.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I know a '63 collector that has his PSA graded set about 98% complete and he estimates that it would have an overall rating of 7.5. His initials are M.B. He's starting a PSA 8 '65 set too.

As for more '65's, can think of two guys that have great sets and are probably in the top 5, but haven't registered theirs either. One is from FL and the other NJ. I sold them a bunch of 8's and some 9's the past 2 years. I've sold Dan Schatzeder many '65s over the past 2 years also and bought a lot of '67s from him too.

There still are a lot of "underground collectors" who haven't registered their sets yet. The top 3 and it may even be as many as 5 - '68 Topps Baseball collectors haven't surfaced yet on the registry. In fact the top collector is building a second set that is mostly 8's, but has some 9's. He told me he plans to give that set to his grandson as a present one of these days. Nice gift - huh?
  • Options
    Another person doing a 65. That set seems to be getting pretty popular. Maybe they can give the 72 guys a run for their money some day.
  • Options
    The guy from Florida has been working on his at least as long as I have and he has slowed down quite a bit the last several months. I'm not sure who the other person is that Dan was referring to.

Wayne

1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Wayne. You are right, I haven't seen the FL collector in awhile. Maybe he completed it or is near completing it.
  • Options
    I believe I know the '63 collector Dan is referring to. If he ever registers his set, there's gonna be several very nice very high grade 63 sets jockeying for top position. The '63 Registry has expanded over the last few days to 14 sets....that's up four sets in a week.
    The '65 collectors are expanding by leaps and bounds....makes me glad I'm not competing for cards with this crowd....Ha
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I have not looked at the population report but I am sure that the vast majority of nrmt-mt commons post 1959 have not been graded. Once they are and I do believe they will be their numbers will dwarf the number of psa 8 commons from sets 1955 and before. Thus, as long as colectors have the interest which I beleve they will there is no reason why there would not be 10-20 psa 8 or better sets for each year 1959 and beyond given the abundance of high end cards which have not been graded.
    In contrast, I think most of the prewar 8s have been graded as have probably most of the 8s from the early Bowman and Topps sets.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see Dave Lemon's set. I haven't talked to him in quite a while, but he is a great person! In some of my conversations with him, I learned that he was a big Mike Schmidt fan, too, and had even named one of his dogs "Schmitty". Gotta love it!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.