Home Sports Talk
Options

Omar Vizquel is hitting .283 in over 300 AB's at the age of 43.

Pretty remarkable. Almost 2800 hits lifetime.

HOF'er?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I think he needs to hit that magic number of 3,000.

Probably won't happen which is a shame because he definitely has the All-Star credentials.
  • Options

<< <i>I think he needs to hit that magic number of 3,000.

Probably won't happen which is a shame because he definitely has the All-Star credentials. >>

And the Gold Glove credentials!!! Eleven of those bad boys!!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    The big problem is that he was always overshadowed by another star on his team.

Also the markets he played in weren't the greatest.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I think he will get in, but I'm not sure he deserves it. His OPS is only 83% of the league average. He does play a key defensive position, and played it very well at one time.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    He's one of the top 5 All-Time defenders at SS. That combined with nice offensive stats should get him into Cooperstown. IMO.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Mark - what if he had played in the Aparicio era? His basic stats are virtually identical to Aparicio. Of course, that begs the question whether Aparicio deserved it.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    quality guy, best SS of the last 30 years, yes better than Ozzie Smith. 11 GG solid offensive numbers, stole some bases, scored a lot of runs. STILL plays awesome defense and contributes when asked.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark - what if he had played in the Aparicio era? His basic stats are virtually identical to Aparicio. Of course, that begs the question whether Aparicio deserved it. >>

Vizquel plays in a more hitter friendly era than did Aparicio. I am not going into the merits Aparicio's selection. FWIW, Luis has 50 WAR to Omar's 43.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    ShawnyD,
    You are right on and I'll go a step further. He is the best defensive SS of all time. Smith and him had equal range; but Vizquel makes the routine play every single time while Ozzie made more errors. I think he is a Hall of Famer. He will need to get to 3000. No reason he does not have a job next year--he's still that good. I hope he keeps playing. I met him him at a Rain Forest Cafe and we talked as if we new each other for years. Real nice guy.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who does he think he is.....Julio Franco?? image
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been very impressed by his BA for his age.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Omar!!!! being an Indians fan who watched him work his magic for many years I believe he belongs in HOF, not a first time entry but eventually....
  • Options

<< <i>ShawnyD,
    You are right on and I'll go a step further. He is the best defensive SS of all time. Smith and him had equal range; but Vizquel makes the routine play every single time while Ozzie made more errors. I think he is a Hall of Famer. He will need to get to 3000. No reason he does not have a job next year--he's still that good. I hope he keeps playing. I met him him at a Rain Forest Cafe and we talked as if we new each other for years. Real nice guy. >>

My coke came out my nose when I read the above. Ozzie leads Omar 64.6 to 43.4 in WAR. Ozzies range factor per 9 was 5.22 compared to the league average of 4.78. Omar's is 4.62 compared to 4.61. Omar does have a better fielding perentage.
  • Options
    ozzie smith did back flips for the camera, and Omar just flat out made the plays.
  • Options

<< <i>Gastronome,

Just to be clear, we're talking only defense. If you incorporate offense, Ozzie couldn't even make Top 5. I won't even bother guessing how far down the list Omar would be but he ain't HOF material by a long shot IMO. Omar, in his entire career, wound up on the MVP voting one time in 16th place. That pretty much says it all. Ozzie has been on it six times, including as high as 2nd. >>

Rabbit Maranville was apparently a spectaular defensive shortstop. He is in the HOF, and finished in the top ten in MVP voting 5 times (with a 2nd and a 3rd place finish). He received votes five other times. The man could not hit a lick. He twice received MVP votes in years with an OPS below .600. Better than Ozzie? How could we tell?