Home Sports Talk
Options

Horrible call against the Lions...

Rule is BS. Shouldn't even apply here. That puts the EFF in the N"Eff"L

Comments

• Options
    Agree completely. And then Fox comes up and says "due to NFL rules we can not continue to show you this game". So many rules and restrictions on and off the field.
  • Options
    The NFL would apparently rather take away a worthy, stellar game winning TD with this stupid rule versus award a bad one once in a while. What a tragedy. ****
  • Options
    That call was an abortion.

So, if he would have immediately spiked it, it would have been a TD?

This will be making the airwaves the next couple days....
  • Options

<< <i>That call was an abortion.

So, if he would have immediately spiked it, it would have been a TD?

This will be making the airwaves the next couple days.... >>

First the blown perfect game, now taking a loss away from a team that savors every win it can get...tough for Detroit right now. Don't worry, hockey season starts in a month!
  • Options
    Close call. But on replay it didnt look like he had control of the ball. When you make a catch like that, you have to tuck the ball in. The ball hit the ground before he had control.
  • Options
    My argument would be.....When a running back sticks the ball out over the goal line in a scrum and a defensive player slaps it away, they would call it a TD.
    Possession in the end zone is possession in the end zone.

Johnson caught it, got both feet down, fell down, still had possession, then almost set it down afterwords. How is that NOT enough?

NFL has got to straighten this out
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My argument would be.....When a running back sticks the ball out over the goal line in a scrum and a defensive player slaps it away, they would call it a TD.

Johnson caught it, got both feet down, fell down, still had possession, then almost set it down afterwords. How is that NOT enough?

The difference in those two scenarios is that a runner does not have to complete the act of making a catch and controlling the ball throughout that act in addition to breaking the plane with the ball.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Close call. But on replay it didnt look like he had control of the ball. When you make a catch like that, you have to tuck the ball in. The ball hit the ground before he had control. >>

Before the rule change, there's not even any doubt about this call. I'm not sure what replay you were watching, but the guy controlled the ball with one giant mitt even after he hit his rear end on the ground. He only lost the ball when putting his hand down in what appeared to be an attempt to stand. Again, he clearly possessed the ball to qualify as a catch and I suspect most would agree. Sad, but it's okay. What Detroit hasn't already crushed of my football love over the years is being done more now by the NFL and it's crappy rules. Pathetic.
  • Options
    I'm a Bears fan and I think the call was in line with the rules, but it was definitely a catch. Only when he rolled over and stuck his arm out to control himself did the ball come out. Sad call, but the right one.
    I will say this about crossing the plain. A call was reversed in the first half by the booth. Best was given a TD when he clearly did not break the plain. You win some calls and you lose some calls. You just hope it all washes out in the end.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A call was reversed in the first half by the booth. Best was given a TD when he clearly did not break the plain.

Lions fans aren't interested in details like these..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    as i tell my friends that are bears fans after games like these....better lucky than good.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Even the lions coach knew he dropped the ball. Thats why he stuck up for the refs. Lions lose.
  • Options

<< <i>Even the lions coach knew he dropped the ball. Thats why he stuck up for the refs. Lions lose. >>

Please stick to watching tennis.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My argument would be.....When a running back sticks the ball out over the goal line in a scrum and a defensive player slaps it away, they would call it a TD.

The difference in those two scenarios is that a runner does not have to complete the act of making a catch and controlling the ball throughout that act in addition to breaking the plane with the ball. >>

Exactly. Based upon the rules, regardless if we agree with them or not, CJ did not maintain possession. Had he tucked the ball away, rather than putting it on the ground to keep his balance, DET wins and game is over.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i> A call was reversed in the first half by the booth. Best was given a TD when he clearly did not break the plain.

Lions fans aren't interested in details like these..image >>

I didn't see enough on the video to overturn the call if it were up to me in this instance, but maybe the ref did. Your response would matter if I said the Lions should have won the game, but didn't, because of this bad call. I never said that. I said that the rule is BS and I think most fans agree. To me, it's obvious that he maintained control far long enough to constitute this as a catch. The rule is so silly, but again... the NFL keeps making rules that kill the game.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I am a Bears fan and relish the win,
    but that ranks among the worst calls I ever saw, IMHO.

He seemed to have caught the ball, tumbled down, rolled around and while trying to spike the ball, the ball hit the ground and came out of his grip.

Utube and the NFL have a short video available, if interested.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly a catch and not even that close of a call...simply a pathetic rule that needs to be changed especially for plays in the endzone.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Whoever suggests the guy didn't control the ball didn't see the play. It's clear and it's not close.

Apparently the rules care about more than just catching the ball.

Tough break.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even the lions coach knew he dropped the ball. Thats why he stuck up for the refs. Lions lose. >>

Uh, by backing the refs he was actually slamming them. When a guy says "I'm not blaming the refs, that was a great call", it's a backhand way of saying the refs blew it.

Tabe
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not see the play...

Why did the player try to spike the ball?? Because he can?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I did not see the play...

Why did the player try to spike the ball?? Because he can? >>

He didn't spike it. Here's the play

LINK
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Goot

A call for the ages in terms of just being beyond bad-

This makes one just wonder how who saw and missed what and not to mention how many whos saw and missed what when even on the replay- Do we need instant replay of the replay?

I still like the Bears-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

Please stick to watching tennis. >>

At least i am smart enough to know how to play tennis.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My argument would be.....When a running back sticks the ball out over the goal line in a scrum and a defensive player slaps it away, they would call it a TD.

The difference in those two scenarios is that a runner does not have to complete the act of making a catch and controlling the ball throughout that act in addition to breaking the plane with the ball. >>

Exactly. Based upon the rules, regardless if we agree with them or not, CJ did not maintain possession. Had he tucked the ball away, rather than putting it on the ground to keep his balance, DET wins and game is over. >>

100% correct.
  • Options

<< <i>At least i am smart enough to know how to play tennis. >>

You hit the ball with a racket and try to keep it in between the lines. That one takes a genius.
  • Options

<< <i>

You hit the ball with a racket and try to keep it in between the lines. That one takes a genius. >>

Don't forget the net. You have to hit it over the net!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You hit the ball with a racket and try to keep it in between the lines. That one takes a genius. >>

Don't forget the net. You have to hit it over the net!!! image >>

Sounds easy but a very difficult game to master lol. Much harder than golf. People over the years have told me that they dont understand how to keep score.
  • Options

<< <i>People over the years have told me that they dont understand how to keep score. >>

Must be a bunch of USC grads
  • Options
    bottom line, it's CJ's fault for not being T.O. or 85, and Detroit's for not being from any other city.....