Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A Sunday thread - How estimate a fair cost on well- toned coins?

Well, I buy them all the time and sell them once in a while, and still have no 'real' formula as to how much to pay for and/or price nicely-toned coins.

Out of curiosity, is there a general collector consensus on how to price the toner market? I honestly think that this may be the hardest U.S. coin market to gauge, except for the super high end rarity market. In both cases, comparable examples are often hard to find.

Anyone have a working scientific formula or is this a 'what the market will sustain' example and nothing more?

Comments

• Options
    I have wondered if PCGS and NGC will eventually institute some sort of criteria--"crescent tone," "partial tone," "full tone," "monster tone" and so forth, with terms that have certain minimum criteria including surface affected, number of colors, and excluding toning that is dark or dingy rather than colorful. Then, some standards might get introduced, and we'll see prices either settle down or take off like wildfire.

In the mean time, though, and because toning is so individualistic, we can expect to see prices very individualistic and well beyond the guides, because each toned coin is effectively a population of one for that particular look, whereas "blast white" and "just dipped" are everywhere.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>...and because toning is so individualistic, we can expect to see prices very individualistic and well beyond the guides, because each toned coin is effectively a population of one for that particular look... >>

I think that is very well put, Scott. Thanks. We've all seen toners sell for anywhere up and beyond 100x 'book' so that market is clearly hard to pin down. No fixed guidelines that I can see. A pure demand market.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple... you can't! There are just too many variables. Since PCGS has admittedly been "market grading" their coins, the price guide makes a good starting point. Of course, there are in-between, better-than next grade, and the best of top-pop coins. Their values are completely up in the air, and subject to the whims of those who would have them.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Duane,

Depending on the series, and the basic value for the grade, you can estimate what the market might be for a nicely toned original example.

As an example, an AU 58 CBH might bring up to 50% above the price for the technical grade.

A Proof 67 Barber half could bring 67Dcam money.

And the Morgans and commems that have base value of $250--- up to 10 times.

There is a CBH in PC 65 that the present owner wants 70% above base value-- it is really a nicely toned one, CAC approved.

I have seen some proof indian cents that are truly fab-- 2 to 3 times base value.

But a MS 63 Lib nickel-- maybe full PCGS retail.

For each series, and grade, I would want an opinion from a dedicated colletor of the series.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    It's all eye appeal and everyone's tastes are different. I fall in love with some toners that my wife isn't impressed with where she likes blue toned coins.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    There has got to be a million answers with no two series sharing the same rulebook.

Washington quarters - - where toned material is available and there is collector interest, usually only the middle graded coins (64-66) seem to enjoy significant premiums or multiples of guide pricing. With top pops (67/68) the toning may help the coin approach the PCGS guide in actual trading price but I can't remember that many top pop coins that flew out the door at a price much higher than the guide.

While with Lincoln cents, put some great color on a high grade Red/Brown coin and watch that sucker hummm.

Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    I've bought a toned coin or two and i find this is the wild wild west of the coin market. Dealers can not reach for the nearest copy of greysheet to find the neon blue toned coin section. One needs to understand the landscape of the players who are buying these coins and demand for them. I look at coins and determine how much i will pay based on eye appeal, population, rarity, and if i need it for one of my sets. In the end its a guess but the more you buy the more you get a feel for what they are worth.