Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

"A picture is worth a thousand words" Or maybe a thousand dollars....

The photos say it all. Same coin. Different angles/lighting. It goes without saying, but I find it amazing how much deviation can be attributed to a photo conditions. Comments and like-theme photos welcome… Photographs compliments of Bob Campbell

UUUURRRRGGGGG image

AAAHHHHHHH……. image

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The primary light source for the top photo was lower left and the primary light source for the second photo was top right with probably a light diffuser to soften the light a bit. Very different light sources and techniques will produce very different photos. I would send that coin back if I could.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

• << <i>The primary light source for the top photo was lower left and the primary light source for the second photo was top right with probably a light diffuser to soften the light a bit. Very different light sources and techniques will produce very different photos. I would send that coin back if I could. >>

Good eye. Just to clarify. The coin is not an example of a bad purchase, just an example of what different lighting angles can do to a photo image

But thanks.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be mistaken...but are these not Die Polish lines? As such, they are raised on the coin, and will catch the lighting much differently than hairline scratches.

The reason I say die polish lines, is that to the lower left, the leaves seem to break the pattern of the lines abruptly. Being die polish, there should be no effect on value, since its simply an EDS coin.

Here is a similar case, on an MS 1867 gold dollar. The lines are NOT visible under many angles of lighting. Here, Ive caught them to compare with QDBs photo of the same lines.

imageimage
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are die polish lines and are raised. The coin in question is an NGC 1941-S MS65 FB PL. It belongs to a member ATS who has been assembling a PL type set.

• << <i>I could be mistaken...but are these not Die Polish lines? As such, they are raised on the coin, and will catch the lighting much differently than hairline scratches.

The reason I say die polish lines, is that to the lower left, the leaves seem to break the pattern of the lines abruptly. Being die polish, there should be no effect on value, since its simply an EDS coin.

Here is a similar case, on an MS 1967 gold dollar. The lines are NOT visible under many angles of lighting. Here, Ive caught them to compare with QDBs photo of the same lines.

imageimage >>

I agree with you totally. The funny thing about polish lines is that some collector's love them, and some hate them. I have a copper piece that is a MS64RB and half the eye appeal of the obverse comes from these great swirling die lines. Aqcuired taste, I'd say. So they can help or hurt the value, depending on how attrative the lines actually are. Some just turn the graders off, being human.

Of course, for diagnostics, they are invaluable. Thanks for the note. Now that you've officially made the transition from copper to gold, below is one of the coolest examples of die swirl lines I've personally seen, and on a gold coin [a PCGS $20 1907 EXHR PR68] that sold for $2.4MM!! image
    [Photo cropped from a True View for display] Enjoy.

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less that $20 in correct light bulbs can make the difference.
    Doug
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin.
    I have an NGC 68FB * 41S,that has the same reverse..It is a real 68,but will never cross image
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15

• << <i>Less that $20 in correct light bulbs can make the difference. >>

That's the kicker of it all.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the first image which lighlights the die polish lines.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Me too. And the irony of multiple photos is that a prospective buyer can be given all of the various angles by an honest seller, so they can make their choices based on THEIR specific likes. It's when people use photos to hide aspects of the coins from buyers that I object.

I've only had it happen to me once, but I ordered a coin based on a few photos, and when I held the coin that I had thought I'd ordered in-hand, and compared with the photos that the seller had given me, I felt sick. I'm sure any collector who has been in the hobby a while has had various experiences like that.