Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1884 Canadian cent Obv1

Just found a 1884 Obv 1. cent raw.

I'm going to send it in to get graded and confirmed.

The diagnostics are N in regina (bottom left foot longer on the right). Which mine is but its not very obvious in the picture.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin and hopefully the submission result will match the look of this one

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely Obv. 1, and at least an au58, very possibly MS.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    That would be nice. I was thinking more EF40. Its actually my father in laws. I'll give him the good news.
    He gave me some coins to list on ebay and I thought I'd check through them for varieties.
    I'm going to send this one to PCGS and then I'll probably list it on my site for sale for him.
  • Options
    I've actually got another 2 scarce (in high grade) Canadians going in with it in my next submission.
    These two are mine:

The 1907 25c is really nice. The pictures dont do them justice.

• Options
    Yes, the '07 25c does look very nice.

Your FIL kept some good ones!!

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options

<< <i>That would be nice. I was thinking more EF40. Its actually my father in laws. I'll give him the good news.
    He gave me some coins to list on ebay and I thought I'd check through them for varieties.
    I'm going to send this one to PCGS and then I'll probably list it on my site for sale for him. >>

EF40?...I'll pay you full trends right now for EF40 image

• Options
    EF40? Maybe I am being a bit conservative. It'll make a nicer result for him if it does come back higher.

The last two are my ebay purchases.

The 1884 is my father in laws. I also found an 1859 DP#1 in his coins before.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=673237&highlight_key=y&keyword1=canadian

He likes to go to antique and coin shops and buy coins in bulk. Both coins would have came in a bulk load which he bought cheap.
    The sellers over here don't know much about the varieties. he only really has Krause for reference. I enjoy going through them and trying to find any scarce varieties for him.
  • Options
    Just to give an update. My friend posted it on a Canadian forum which is frequented by very knowledgeable collectors.
    Their guesses for its grade range from AU50-MS62 and "One of the best I've seen. Conrats!".

The highest ever graded is an MS63 BN.

When it comes back from PCGS I'll post the grade.
    Hopefully it doesn't come back "genuine". Not that I expect it to but you never know.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    closer ro MS62 than AU50

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    That is one good looking coin. I am the one from the other forum that said "the best i Had personally seen, although I have seen photos of friend's collection on PCGS site. I don't think it will quite make MS, unless the photo was taken through plastic, but still a great find and a very $$$ coin. Canadian Trends is $2000 in 60 Brown.
  • Options
    Hi thanks SYL. It wasn't taken through plastic but my camera seems to be taking grainy pictures later. It's on its way to my friend and then to PCGS. I'll post the results on all 3 coins when I get them.
  • Options
    Update:

email back from PCGS about the variety:

"Hello,

PCGS does not recognize that variety currently.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks,
    ..."

So no Obv1 on the holder.
    That a shame image

I'm still going to submit, to find out its grade.
  • Options

<< <i>Update:

email back from PCGS about the variety:

"Hello,

PCGS does not recognize that variety currently.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks,

So no Obv1 on the holder.
    That a shame image

I'm still going to submit, to find out its grade.
    ...". >>

That's a shame, but it's still a good idea to have PCGS grade it.

If you ever wanted to sell it, a Canadian large cent collector would easily be able to confirm the variety after a careful examination.

Also, you could send it to ICCS (the top TPG here in Canada) where they would cross grade it, keeping the coin in the PCGS holder, but supplying you with the ICCS grading with the proper Variety designation.

• Options
    Thanks Doubleeagle I didn't know ICCS would cross grade it in the PCGS slab.

Its going to PCGS and we'll see from there. My father in law is looking to sell it.
    Once its back from PCGS I might send it to Heritage or somewhere.

• Options
    Good news and bad news:

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 18319265 30027 1884 1C CANADA Genuine (97 - Environmental Damage)
    2 1 18319266 31768 1907 25C CANADA MS62

(I haven't sent the 1902 5c in)
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Tough luck on the lack of PCGS grade. Someone should have warned you that PCGS doesn't recognize one of the most sought after varieties ij the Vicky Large Cent Series. Looking at the coin, I see some vertigris there but, wearwise, is a ral good looking coin. I would have it certtified and cross-graded by CCCS, not ICCS. ICCS uses soft flips while CCCS has great air-prooof slabs. Regardless, a nice coin to keep.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless thnings have changed, CCCS will not put problem coins (coins that require a cleaned, PVC, damaged, etc. comment) into their hard holder. They will put them into a soft flip holder with the comment.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    It looks like they whacked this one because of the corrosion spots in the depressions of the reverse maple leaves. Otherwise, the '84 looks like it should be valued between AU55, and Net Unc.