Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan Dollar Gram Weight question

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering what the accepted margin of error would be for a Morgan Dollar's weight. I looked at some nice coins today but was skittish to buy because, despite the nice ringing sound of the coins, one weighed 23.6 grams as opposed to the accepted 26.75 +/-

They didn't look worn down enough to have lost 1/9th of its weight.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Duncan M. Rogers
Freshwater Films, LLC

Comments

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    23.6 g sounds a little light for an unworn Morgan. Diameter s/b 38.1 mm

image to the forum!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A weight of 23.6 g would indicate a forgery, unless of course it is a genuine Morgan with a gaping drill hole in it!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a .097 gram tolerance,
    (let's call it a 1/10th of a gram),
    so yes, the weight of that coin
    would be highly suspicious, unless
    the coin was on a rolled thin
    planchet - possible, but unlikely.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

I've ran into a Chinese Silver coin that was off by pretty much the same tolerance. It was the right Diameter, and appeared to be Silver. I'm assuming the purity wasn't as high, which would account for a loss in weight. It was a 200k dollar coin if authentic, that was another flag. There were a couple other flags as well. Anyway, anyone interested in a gonga deal for a 200k dollar coin ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WELCOME to the forum!

Yes, I agree that the coin you saw is a fake. Common weight for a Chinese counterfeit.
    Silver over copper core. You were smart in weighing it. Probably looks not crisp and
    sharp in the protected areas as well. Rim denticles may be uneven too.

post a pic when you can, if you can.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...image to the forums! it's good to know you have your suspicions. very good. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Hi and Thanks everyone. Both for your welcoming wishes and your insights. I am now quite confident that I made the right decision. There were 5 coins in this group that weighed a bit wonky and one was an 1892-S which, were it legit, would have been quite a treat. I emailed the gentleman who is offering up the coins and suggested that, given what MIGHT be in his possession, he get them authenticated.

Guess that won't be the diamond in the rough we always dream of when someone says "oh, you collect coins? I have some from my Father In Law that I'm thinking of selling".

SIGH
  • Options
    Welcome.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file