Home Precious Metals

Avoirdupois, in case you didn't know

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
(and I didn't) is pronounced Aver Duh Poise.

You can hear it pronounced by clicking the small speaker symbol to the right of the word on Dictionary.com .

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once woke up at the airport in a dark motel room next to a chick that suffered from this malady. Interestingly enough I lived 60 miles from the airport and my car was found 90 miles away. Ah, the early 80's. Those were the days and that was some party........... I guess. I have a theory on what happened and it involved me being carried off over her shoulder..................

Moral of the story. Buy gold. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I once woke up at the airport in a dark motel room next to a chick that suffered from this malady. Interestingly enough I lived 60 miles from the airport and my car was found 90 miles away. Ah, the early 80's. Those were the days and that was some party........... I guess. I have a theory on what happened and it involved me being carried off over her shoulder..................

Moral of the story. Buy gold. MJ >>

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought of it as "avwah-dupwah" but, truthfully, have never heard the word spoken aloud.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I always thought of it as "avwah-dupwah" but, truthfully, have never heard the word spoken aloud. >>

In its original language, French, you would be correct; however, after Anglicization it became the monstrosity you can hear above.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Baley, that's how I said it the few times I've tried. The "correct" pronunciation that I linked to sounds just a bit too backwoods American. Then again, I'm from Illinois. We don't pronounce the "s", and get mad at people who do. But it's probably supposed to be closer to Eee leeen wah.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so everyone here use it your conversation at work, home or play and report back the responses.
  • Okay, so everyone here use it your conversation at work, home or play and report back the responses

What image.....and risk being carried off by some fine looking woman..i'm in..image
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Baley, that's how I said it the few times I've tried. The "correct" pronunciation that I linked to sounds just a bit too backwoods American. Then again, I'm from Illinois. We don't pronounce the "s", and get mad at people who do. But it's probably supposed to be closer to Eee leeen wah. >>

Weiss, I am in IL too. I am in Northwest corner just west of Rockford. How about you?

Briani
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and it involved me being carried off over her shoulder..................

POTW!imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I once woke up at the airport in a dark motel room next to a chick that suffered from this malady. Interestingly enough I lived 60 miles from the airport and my car was found 90 miles away. Ah, the early 80's. Those were the days and that was some party........... I guess. I have a theory on what happened and it involved me being carried off over her shoulder..................

Moral of the story. Buy gold. MJ >>