Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Modern Type - Will You Play and Where

Hi all 20th Century Type Guys:

With the new sets will you still plan to play and where. Of course, anyone can list wherever they want, but can we reach a consensus on where everyone will list to keep of some semblance of the fun.

I plan to play in the following:

1. 20th Century Type mint state and proof with minor varieties. Except for the SLQs I already own the "minor types", and I like the SLQs enough to buy all three. Don't like the high relief Peace, but it looks like its not a "minor type"image Should this be the set we all agree to play?

2. 1950 to Date Modern Proof. Like the additions. Don't like the deletions, but I would have bought those anyway.

3. Gold - I had planned to play in the basic gold type set listed under gold. So, this might fit into the gold design set. No interest at all in the gold type set. Don't plan to ever buy a high relief Saint, but if I ever do , it won't be because of that registry set.

Will consider the proof only and mint state only versions of the 20th century for the future.

Cheers

Greg S

Comments

• Let's see, I plan to register one each of the following:

20th Century Major Circulation Strikes
    20th Century with Minor Circulation Strikes
    20th Century Gold Type
    20th Century Gold Design

I don't plan on buying the 1907 gold varieties anytime soon, but they are something I wanted for the Complete Type set one day.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Me will be in the:

Modern Type Set - Circulation Strikes and Proofs (1950-Present)
    Modern Type Set - Proofs (1950-Present)
    20th Century Type Set - Major Types, No Gold - Circulation Strikes and Proofs (1900-1999)
    20th Century Gold Design

Plus the existing 1900 to presant and the 1959 Proofs
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Bill,

The latest word is that the current 20th Century set is now the 20th Century with Minor Type MS & PR. There appeared to maybe be a few minor changes, but nothing major that I could see. The current 1959 present sets are being replaced with the 1950-present sets.

Keith
    Keith ™

• So the 1992 to present Silver proofs and the Modern COmmemoratives are gone?

BAD PCGS, VERY BAD PCGS image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I will play with the old Modern Type, 1900-present, until it changes. Then I will pick up my coins and play on another type set of some sort, maybe. I'm still a bit confused by the new categories, but I haven't been paying much attention... kinda been waiting for the dust to settle a bit, then I will see what's what.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I will initially play in the following:

Modern Type Set - Circulation Strikes and Proofs (1950-Present)

Modern Type Set - Proofs (1950-Present)

20th Century Type Set - Major Types, No Gold - Circulation Strikes and Proofs (1900-1999), that High Relief Peace still just kills me.

On the new Modern Type sets, I already had the Proof Jefferson and Washington, I just purchased a nice 1962 PR68CAM Franklin for $90. Now I need a nice 50-58 Proof Lincoln (probably PR68RD or PR67CAM, any help here?image )

Larry

• Oh yes, I still want to play. I've got lots of sets to work on now image

20'th Century Type C/S and PR with minor varieties
    20'th Century Proof Type
    Circulating gold type set (12 piece)
    California fractional gold mini type set
    Complete type set
    Proof Jeffersons 1938-present

If you pretend the complete type set is not in my list I am mostly complete on the rest...
  • I can see myself participating in the following:

The (so-called) 20th Century Type Set - Major Types, No Gold - Circulation Strikes (1900-1999)
    The (so-called) 20th Century Type Set w. Minor Variations, No Gold - Circulation Strikes (1900-1999)

Both of my 20th Century Type Sets will be "true" 20th Century Type Sets (1901-2000)... I refuse to include 1900 coins and will consider my 2000-P Sackie to be part of the set.

Will also be participating in:

Modern Type Set - Circulation Strikes (1950-Present)

and

20th Century Gold Major Design Set - Circulation Strikes

I like the "Major Design" idea with the gold set, hopefully someday I'll break out of Major Design and move into 20th Century Gold Type!

I probably won't bother with proofs at all. If I branch into another set It will be Complete US Type.

madmike
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    20th Century with minor types Circulation Strike
    1950-Present Circulation Strike
    1950-Present Proof

And I'll still have my MS Ikes & Proof SBAs.

I'm also slowly working on a PR 1936-1964 Washington Set, and a PR Ike Set. Neither are registered yet... holding off until I can get the 5 free gradings with them.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • All those sets should add to the fun. Maybe shuffle the rankings some. I'll try all but the circulation only non-gold and the proof gold.

Should be wild.
    Bill

My Other Hobby