Home Autographs Forum
Options

Bela Lugosi Quiz - which are real, which are not?

Hi All,

Here is an updated little quiz for anyone who wants to play along. The scan shows 7 signatures said to be signed in the same time period. One is obviously authentic, one is a terrible forgery, one was signed for a mutual friend, one is slabbed but questionable, another is genuine, one is by Lillian Lugosi, one is a fairly clever forgery. Which is which?

Bela Lugosi "signatures" - 1944- C.1948

Best,
Eric

Comments

• Options
    Anyone???

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    ...removed answer... image

Eric
  • Options
    SUNTZSUNTZ Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Nice job with the Bela study. Examples 4 and 5 are pretty close but the A in BELA does not match up with the authentic examples that you posted. He have yet to add a Bela to my collection ( I do have a Borris Karloff) , but it's nice to see what you've added here. Good Job, P.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

I thought I would bump this for any interested. I have switched around the signatures and removed the "answer" so you take a guess image
    Only Pipestone is barred from playing as he knows the answer. imageimage

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    My guess is #1 is real and #6 is fake.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello dapro image

Thanks for playing along. Yes, #1 is quite genuine. It is doubtful anyone else will be along to play and I really posted this with you in mind so here are all the answers:
    4 (almost certainly)...5, 6, and 7 are undoubtedly fake/forged; listed below in accordance with the numbers.

Here is the breakdown:

1) Authentic MPAA card 1944 last appearance of the accent over the "e" in Bela was C. 1944
    2) Authentic signed for a mutual friend C. 1948
    3) Authentic Bakers Guide
    4) PSA/DNA offered by Conway's w/Karloff on back - opinions? "Presumed" authentic for now would be optimistic (and I am not buying it, consider the other stuff they offer - listed as forgery by me)
    5) Rather clever forgery, removed from market after I did this analysis. Likely coped from Bakers
    6) Lillian Lugosi fan photo
    7) Terrible forgery

The biggest problem with the bad examples, not his wife's attempt (she was just signing fan mail), is the construction of the "e" and "Bela" (look for the double back making a heart shape. This is a common European construction of the lower case "e" and it this feature that I used to get #5 destroyed. #7 suffered from a stupid mistake - the paper is old but the size is also gone so the ink had bled. This is likely a "light box" forgery as well - traced. That, and the seller had many signatures of great interest at the same time with this same look. #4 has papers but does not look quite right to me - even with the double back in the "e". These are not rare, just high demand - better examples are out there if one waits, as I hope Meatloaf did today with the backstage pass. Better safe than stuck.
    If you have questions I'd be happy to answer if I can image

Best wishes,
    Eric

• Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    haha my guesses are right.
  • Options
    Hi dapro,

Well, yes, but you picked the Motion Picture Association (an obvious document) card and the most obvious forgery (tho by his wife) which has no resemblance to a genuine signature. Would that all forgeries were so obvious! I was hoping you'd pick up on 5 and 7 in that order. 7 is easy to spot.
    I will post some comments on your ball in the Mantle thread. image

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I came to play, and examined them before seeing the answer. I am pleased to brag that I correctly Identified #6 as belonging to Lillian! This may sound silly, but something about the curves and arcs looked exceedingly feminine to me. I was also hoping #1 was the "obviously authentic" example, although I was highly skeptical that his MPA card would be survived by a collector (as opposed to a family member, or not survived at all).

The man of 1,000 faces. One of the greats! There will never be another, although Jim Carrey could've given him a run for his money IMO.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>I came to play, and examined them before seeing the answer. I am pleased to brag that I correctly Identified #6 as belonging to Lillian! This may sound silly, but something about the curves and arcs looked exceedingly feminine to me. I was also hoping #1 was the "obviously authentic" example, although I was highly skeptical that his MPA card would be survived by a collector (as opposed to a family member, or not survived at all).

The man of 1,000 faces. One of the greats! There will never be another, although Jim Carrey could've given him a run for his money IMO. >>

Excellent work! The man of a 1000 faces, that was Chaney though image
    There is a lot of Bela around. I have the 35mmm of his last speaking role woth soundtrack negs too.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Right! image Lon Chaney, can't believe I messed that up. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE