Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Player Set Requests..

In the Set Registry Requests, how come players like: Stan Musial, Carl Yastrzemski and Willie Stargell are in the "Mainstream" list while players like: Mike Schmidt, Jim Palmer and Nolan Ryan are "Not Mainstream"?

Just curious,
Robert

GO TERPS!!!
Looking for:
Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
High grade Redskins (pre 1980)

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    If I had to speculate, I would guess that big money players have submitted some of the "Mainstream" names.

I'm certainly not criticizing, as some of those players have really built this hobby, but it is no surprise to me that many sets get added without ever even being on the Set Registry Request List. I can think of Brian's T-206 HOF'ers, Marshall's T-206 Cobb set, 1933 Goudey Ruth set, and Goudey Gehrigs, as well as a few others.

I'm patient :-)

Also, more than anything else -- it seems like many of the mainstream names are from the 1950s and 1960s, where player sets are easy to build. With Schmidt, Palmer and Ryan it becomes more difficult due to the number of supplementary and different issues that came about in the 1970s and 1980s. (e.g. Kelloggs, OPC, Traded, Tiffany, Kmart, Fleer Stickers, Fleer Limited Edition subsets, etc.)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Looks like they re-did the request list and have player sets listed separately. I guess they need to get some of these player sets up before they can give an award for the best player set of the year...

Robert
    GO TERPS!!!
    Looking for:
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    IMO the following are the player sets it's a priority to add (besides those listed on the request page):
    Willie Mays
    Ted Williams
    Sandy Koufax
    Roberto Clemente
    Jackie Robinson
    Warren Spahn
    Ernie Banks
    Joe DiMaggio
    Al Kaline
    Roy Campanella
    Thurman Munson
    Brooks Robinson
    Phil Rizzuto
    Roger Maris
    Joe Namath
    Johnny Unitas
    Jack Kemp
    Jim Brown
    Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Julius Erving
    Gordie Howe
    Maurice Richard
    Wayne Gretzky

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Nick you forgot Buzz Capra!
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Anyone seen the Wade Boggs yet?? 1690 cards, and that doesnt include alot of the 1 of 1 type things. That has to be nearly impossible to complete....
    Boggsie-

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? If Boggs has 1,690 cards in his set registry, I am literally scared to see what is in the Mike Schmidt Registry. I thought I had a pretty amazing run of cards, but with numbers like that, who can really complete a run? And at what cost to one's sanity?!?!

Though it does appear that 80% of the cards are after 1987. Perhaps I am at least a little safer with Schmidt if they limit the Registry to cards from his playing days (e.g. 1990 and before...)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Of the player sets they have listed so for, they haven't limited them to just the playing years of that player. Does anyone else think they should. If not, these sets will be never ending. I really don't think it's right for players that had 200 cards issued during their playing years, and 500 cards in the last few years. I think most player collectors are more interested in the cards from the players playing years, and not the newest Chrome refractor game jersery autograph released 20 years after his retirement. I collect Don Mattingly cards, and I haven't even looked at what cards of his have been made in the last few years.
  • Looking through the Wade Boggs Player set I also noticed a lot of cards listed that PSA doesn't grade like wax box cards. Any one who gets a player set listed should look through the set and try to identify any cards that PSA doesn't grade and email BJ so she can have them removed. I know we can't expect BJ to look at evey card and determine if PSA grades them, I'm sure she's already busy enough. It's a lot of work just putting those sets together and a lot more work to go through each and every card to determine if PSA grades it.
  • Boggs has 1690 cards! I don't even think Carlos has that many cards. image And I thought I was crazy for starting the 70 Topps with 720 cards. I just e-mailed BJ and said that for older players (like Jim Palmer whose last regular card was in 1984), I think the player sets should stop when the player retired. I don't really need to collect the latest card of the day.

Robert

GO TERPS!!!
    Looking for:
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

The Boggs registry is ridiculous...these sets should definitely be confined their playing days. Also, who is going to update the registry as new retro sets/ autographs / jersey / bat cards are released every other week..are they not busy enough. The whole idea of a completion is thrown out the window when you have 1690 cards with more to follow every month! Anyone have a estimate on how many Boggs card there are from his playing days? Also, does anyone know where PSA gets the info for their card lists...when I submitted the Willie Stargell list all I did was give them the name of the set.

Thanks,
    John
  • boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    Hello....isn't this great!!!! Now I'm going to have to get more of my wade boggs cards graded so I can join the ranks.......hehehehe......I plan on getting all my 1990 and before cards graded, just to start off with.....I have lots already graded, just not enough.....lol........and of course I'll be looking for 1990 and after already graded cards, as long as the price is reasonable anyway.........I'll be listing some of my cards this weekend, probably saturday, so take a peek, if you wish!!!! 1690 cards is a litttle out of my league though, to be honest........If it comes down to it, I'd rather have 50 cards graded than buy a $400 or $500 card, in my opinion.

And I wonder will this increase submissions on his cards? How will this affect demand if any. I agree the cards should be limited to his playing days. I try to keep up with every issue but I fall behind each year it seems. I have about 10,000 cards I would guess about 2000 diffrent . I see some hole I need to fill..like the allstar cards. I mainly collected what I found listed in beckett.
    x
    My response from BJ, Superstar:

"On the older player sets, our plan was to only include the regular issue cards.

Those wax bottom cards should not be in the Boggs set and I'll remove them.

When the time comes to get the Mike Schmidt cards together, I'll probably call on you for your help and thank you in advance!!! I appreciate your feedback."

Marc
    And remove the allstart program inserts ...I cant find them
    x
  • "Boggsmania"

I saw that the Boggs player list had made the registry on the daily news blurb, and envisioned Boggsey hunched over the pc jumping up and down at every entry.

Did they list the round "Meat" card I sent you? get it slabbed and have a 1/1!image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
    I am exciteddddddd I added some of my cards. But the list needs to edited. PSA to to get rid of a few hundred . Including Star cards!!!

Zardoz I got the card....but I couldnt resist and ate it. image
    x
    After speaking with BJ Via email. He is more then likely going to reduce the size of the set. ANd eliminate the cards after 2000. And the "weird stuff" . I asked that it be reduced to under a thousand ..maybe around 800. I thought this will be do-able in the next century image I am just happy to list my cards ...I realize now I need more graded cards . To those that look at my set it is small But I am working on it. Any one with Psa boggs cards not in my registry let me know. BTW I have a few more to add.
    x
  • Boggs, are you working on weighting the set yourself? image
    Misplaced Bostonian stuck in the south.

Currently Working On PSA Sets Of:
    '59 Topps BB, '60 Topps BB, '67 Topps BB, '50 Bowman BB
    That is phase 2. If needed yes I will give my 2 cents. image
    x
  • Boggs,

I hope the don't elminate all of the oddball cards from the set, I think those cards are the most interesting cards. About 250 cards can be eliminated by limiting the set through 1999. Another 150 cards can be elimated by getting rid of all of the disc "cards" and cards that PSA doesn't grade. This brings the set to about 1275 cards. I think the next 300 or so cards to elimate should come from the late 1990's, after all they make up the majority of the set.

Here are the counts I have for cards listed in the set for the mid-late 90's:
    1994- 58
    1995- 98
    1996- 155
    1997- 131
    1998- 214
    1999- 146
    Total for these years= 802 cards

Do you agree with me on this?

Also, I don't think PSA grades the ALL-Star Game program inserts, so those shouldn't be included in the set.
    I would say those numbers are close. I just want the odd balls gone. Like 7up disk, the allstar program cards . Stickers I am not sure of but I am leaning towards suggesting that Psa not include them. Are you a Boggs fan and or collector?
    x
  • Boggsey

I just read through the list of Boggs cards for the registry. A person could go insane collecting that load.

I'll reserve the usual cheap shot regarding your sanity......it just might be true!image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
    I have added some pics and a few more cards . I will add some more in a week or so I am going out of town for a week.
    x
  • Boggs,

I am not a Boggs collector, but I do like him. I collect Mattingly cards mostly. I am anxiously awaiting the Don Mattingly player set to get added.

In my counts I elminated all the cards that psa doesn't grade, like the all-star program cards plus all of the disc "cards". I did count all of the stickers though, and those I think would account for about 50-100 more cards. I think even if you took out all of the oddball stuff from the set (including stuff like Kraft, K-mart, and Woolworths cards) you would still have over a thousand cards in the set. The high number of cards in the set are due to all of inserts and parallel cards in the late 90's. (I'm glad Mattingly retired before the real onslaught of inserts.)

Another alternative would to have the set listeded with just the regular base set cards, eliminating all of the oddball cards, inserts, and parallel inserts. I think this would bring the set down to about 500 cards.

I think PSA's plan for the older players is to just list the player sets with their regular issue cards. (Just look at the Mantle Player Set.) I do hope that after PSA gets these sets added they will also add additional sets for these players that include all of the regional cards.

I think for the newer players it is a lot harder to keep the numbers down. Take a look at at the Kobe Bryant Player set. He'll be playing for 15 more years and he already has 1600 cards. By the time he retires he'll have 50,000 cards.

I think PSA will need to add 2 different sets for each player because some collectors just collect the regular issue cards and other collectors try to collect everything. I know that PSA had 2 different mantle sets listed on the set request list. One was the mantle set that has been listed, and the other was for a complete card run. The complete card run set was taken of of the set request list, but was never added to the registry.