Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Population One Coins

How many population one coins are there, and what do you think is the largest number owned by any single collector?
Higashiyama

Comments

• Options
    I think wondercoin or Registry Coin hold this record.....I myself have owned 6 pop 1 nickels in my collection in the past (not all are pop 1 any longer).

Thanks,

Tim
    Senior Numismatist
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how many there are, but Braddick probably has the most (of course his POP 1 coins are all PO1 and FR2).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean Pop 1 with none higher? My Mint State trade dollar set has 13 pop 1 with none higher coins. Additionally, another coin is also a pop 1 as the second coin in the pop report now resides in an NGC holder - that makes 14 total (out of an 18 coin series)!

Oh - I forgot - you probably only count sets currently registered - that makes my collection a non-entity. Darn those "Phantom Cameos"!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    TDN, it sounds like you're still being haunted by the Ghost of Cameos Past. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Yes, I am! David Hall once told me my set was being considered for one of the ten finest specialty sets of all time. I am extremely proud of that fact. As tempting as it is to re-register my set, I simply cannot compromise what I believe is right in order to do so.

There is absolutely no good business reason to inflate the Eliasberg grades and add the "Phantom Cameo" designation to his proof trade dollars. I can only conclude that PCGS has an agenda on this issue. The result is that several leading Registry sets are poised to switch to NGC. It is disappointing to face the fact that a highly respected public company would put petty politics ahead of shareholder value.
  • Options
    Pop.1 coins come and go. Some go because someone wants them more, but more often, another coin is made, making it a pop.2, or more, eventually.
    Pop.1 coins are fun to have, but much more fun to "make" - kinda like Jiffy Pop. image
    PS. Full Steps, I love your icon.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    pop1:

In TDN's case, I'm not sure that is true. His coins surpass the next nearest grades sometimes by 2 grades. And even then, the pop in the nearest grade is usually really small. My bet is that on some of these coins, it might be some time before they are met or exceeded. I hate to say never.....thats about as close as I come.

keoj
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Pop1 ! Pop1 ! Big deal. I have a "Pop1" coin , know what that means....... nothing! Is it a great coin.... not really. Pop1! Pop1..... Big Deal. (spooly yawning)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Spooly
    I have a pop1 coin and it means a lot to me.image I hope it stays that way for a long time too!!! As a small time collector,I'm very proud to own it.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Merz that was my point. Your Pop1 is a great coin! But not all Pop1 coins are great. Anyone ever seen a super high grade UGLY coin? I have seen alot of them. My "POP1" coin is a "great looking" coin... but not really in the "hype Pop1" sense.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a Pop01 coin for the entire series? I've got a PCGS MS60 1965 Kennedy (not SMS, regular issue). It's the ONLY MS60 not just for the year, but for the entire 1964- 2001 series. -Bought it off of eBay for about ten dollars I think.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I have a pop 1 lincoln cent. Yep its a 1913 AU pop 1image

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    Keoj is right. TDN is the man when it comes to pop. 1s.
    Spooly: are sour grapes in season again? image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop1: Don't acquiesce so easily image

You have likely owned more imporant "pop 1" 20th Century rarities in the past 5 years than anyone out there- period. Your "pop 1" coins are not the "boring" type Spooly yawns over. Your pop 1 coins are what many collectors dream of owning and have "begged" you to part with and when you did let them go become the "centerpieces" of those collectors' #1 sets. image

I don't own the "pop 1" 1932(d) quarter in MS66 in my quarter set (I do own the pop 1 1932(p) though) and my "defense mechanism" also says to me "boring, blah, who needs that coin". Probably a week doesn't go by where I don't convince myself that my MS65 1932(d) is just fine and that MS66 coin is simply overrated! Truth is that kind of talk (to myself) gets more through the day image Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks, Mitch. With respect to all, I try to be humble. On this board, it doesn't pay to brag.
    Those who don't have these coins assume that they are accumulated only with wads of money. They don't realize that some pop.1 coins aren't sold at "hostage" prices, and available to anyone.
    Those coins, though, go to special customers that gain the respect of the dealers, like TDN.
    Although I point it out, I gladly accept all the "sour grape" comments, as it shows that those making negative remarks have a greater animosity, than a positive sense of our community.
  • Options
    I think you guys missed my point and my sarcaism. I was simply trying to make a point that the term "POP1" means nothing..... It's the coin that matters. In some series a POP1 coin is insignificant. Now if you have a GREAT COIN and it's a POP1 I am impressed! Kudos to you, and congrats! Alot of people think just because it a POP1 coin..... It HAS TO BE A GREAT COIN.... that is false. No sour grapes on my part... just the truth.

• Options
    The truth is that you know nothing about the coins you talk about.
    "Sour grapes" have nothing to do with your comments?...Really.
    Now, if you actually saw the coin(s), or admitted that you have not seen the coins, that would be different.
    I stand by my comments, and think that your remarks are devisive, and unfounded.
  • Options
    So what you are saying is ALL POP1 (None graded higher) are great coins?

• Options
    I guess that depends on what you call "great". Have fun. image
  • Options
    Children, children - am I going to have to spank you and put you in your room without your computer? image

I'm going to hazard a guess and say the real pop 1 king is the proud owner of the Childs 1804 dollar. From what I understand, his early collection is simply superb. I believe he doesn't retain any of the slabs, but I'm certain his overall quality cannot be disputed.

I'm also going to hazard a guess and predict that eventually very few 20th century coins will remain a pop 1 with none finer. There were simply too many uncirculated/proof coins retained of every date and mintmark - the odds are against one coin being significantly finer than every other coin produced and saved. I would have to agree with Spooly on this century's coinage.

For the 18th and 19th centuries I would think there are plenty of examples where one coin is head and shoulders above the others and will forever remain a pop 1 with none finer. Certainly there can be examples where a pop 1 coin is not significantly finer than those below it because of grading transitions, stretching on a grade, etc. But the wonder coins of yesterday are the wonder coins of today are the wonder coins of tomorrow - a coin that is acknowledged by experts in the field to be head and shoulders above the other examples of that date and mintmark is to be admired by all!!!!
  • Options
    Steve I think you took my general statement personally. I said nothing about anyones coins. That is my point..... using the POP1 term without SEEING the coins is pointless. Some POP1 coins are ugly or insignificant. I know... because I own one!

" I guess that depends on what you call "great"."

That's my point! People think "POP1" means a great coin........ it doesn't.

• Options
    I see your words. I don't think most collectors are that dumb. I give more respect to our community. That's all. image
  • Options
    Listen to Tradedollarnut! He is telling you where the major pop 1 coins reside. You too, can view some of them at most major shows at David Akers' table. Many of these are the finest coins known, by a bunch! Included are the finest known silver and gold from 1794 through 1838!
    JSwan / Swan Family Type Collection
  • Options
    Steve are you a political speech writer? image That is some great spin! image Touché! image

• Options
    I work for no one. That is just my opinion. image
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The true Pop 1 coin is the 1933 St. Gaudens double eagle. I still think it will surpass the 1804 dollar at the hammer. As to the rest, I aspire to own one someday. I think that might be possible in a No Bands Mercury as the FB relegate the NB coins to second class status.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    My 2 cents:

1. Spooly: For the love of God, tell us all already what this "crummy" "pop 1" coin you own is!! image

2. TDN: You view that, essentially, only the 18th and 19th century coins are great rarities, but that the 20th century "pop 1" coins are not is nothing but utter ELITIST BS imho!! If I wanted to take the time, I could show you that a coin as simple as a 1963(d) Memorial penny in merely MS67RD grade is rarer than many of your trade dollar "rarities". But, why bother - you wouldn't believe me anyway image

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but anyone who believes a Memorial penny in MS67 is in the same class as a Carson City trade dollar in MS66 is so full of crap they aren't worth my time to deal with - if that's an elitist attitude, then yes, I'm an elitist and proud of it!!!
  • Options
    TDN: There you go, putting unfounded words in people's mouths. Now, its "Carson City" dollars. Glad we write these things down or you would be inisting I said that! image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Wondercoin: take your "mutual admiration society" with your big customer and go away. You made a rather foolish statement and are now trying to back out of it with with more of your typical offense. I stand behind my statement, especially for the coins you usually hype. If you don't think there is at least one more MS67 (Red) 1963d Memorial cent out there in all those Lincoln cent collections, original rolls or original bags, then you have some serious mathmatical deficiencies!
  • Options
    TDN: You got this so wrong, I just started a separate thread on the issue of why a 1963(d) Lincoln cent "blows away" a "rare" "cc" dollar imho. Why don't you stop the name calling and maybe we can learn from each other image Wondercoin.

P.S. Do you realize that "you" have probably sold my "big customer" more dollars in coins than I have image Boy is that childish image
  • Options
    There you go, putting unfounded words in people's mouths. Now, its "Carson City" dollars. Glad we write these things down or you would be inisting I said that

There you go, putting unfounded words in people's mouths. Now, its AU 1873CC trade dollars. Glad we write these things down or you would be insisting I said that.
  • Options
    TDN: You view that, essentially, only the 18th and 19th century coins are great rarities, but that the 20th century "pop 1" coins are not is nothing but utter ELITIST BS imho!! If I wanted to take the time, I could show you that a coin as simple as a 1963(d) Memorial penny in merely MS67RD grade is rarer than many of your trade dollar "rarities". But, why bother - you wouldn't believe me anyway

P.S. Do you realize that "you" have probably sold my "big customer" more dollars in coins than I have Boy is that childish

Why don't you stop the name calling and maybe we can learn from each other

Wondercoin: I have sold nothing to your big customer although I have only respect for him. It's your obvious pandering and hype for which I have no respect. In viewing your threads over the past year, it's pretty apparent how you work - a little dig here, a little hype there, a reverse hype here and a backhand swipe there. All just to keep the subject up at the top of the threads. You are the number one guy who fosters the "modern vs classic" war on this chatroom and, in my opinion, it's all done for your personal benefit.

I reiterate my opinion: The coins you hype as rarities are "pop 1 disasters" waiting to happen. For the most part, there are thousands and thousands of uncirculated specimens that are sitting in rolls or bags. Simple mathmatics dictates that equal specimens are present in those areas. I made no statements about the disirability of those coins - I am certain there is a segment of the collecting public that doesn't care if their MS67 1963d Lincoln cent is a pop 1 or a pop 100. My statement was that the odds of them remaining pop 1 coins was mathmatically infintesimal. The odds of another great trade dollar rarity appearing are not zero, but are near zero when the compared to the odds of your modern coin remaining a pop 1.

And by the way, an AU 73CC trade dollar is not a rarity - if you knew anything about the series you'd know it was fairly common.
  • Options
    As part of my research on Canadian dollars, I just bought an original mint-sealed bag of 1960 silver dollars. Dealers have told me that bags from that far back are probably all banged up and that I shouldn't expect anything more than MS-63's. I've heard similar sentiments about US coins. From what I understand, the bag was bought (as many others were) by a collector in upstate New York early in the year of issue and kept locked away in a box with a bag of each other denomination.

My point is that, though original bags aren't common in such cared for condition, they are not unheard of. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a bag of '63 cents showing up. On the other hand, I would be very surprised if an original bag of trade dollars did show up. We've heard about the hoard of 50 or so '78-S's that turned up, so it's not entirely impossible. It's much more likely that rolls and bags of more recent coins will show up.

Putting a Memorial cent and a trade dollar on the same level of rarity seems really bizarre.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    If you have gone through bags of 63d pennies you would understand the relative rarity. I have, and the coins in the bags are red, but seem circulated in their appearance. They just didn't make 'em well. That is a point made only by the experienced. TDN, with all due respect, how many '63d bags of pennies have you gone through?
  • Options
    TDN: IMHO, your "agenda" on these boards is quite clear. A day doesn't go by where I don't get someone "off the record" to express to me their feelings about your self-serving posts. Sorry TDN, but your "pop 1's" aren't better than my "pop 1's". Geez image

Wondercoin.
  • Options
    "That is a point made only by experience. TDN, with all due respect, how many bags of pennies have you gone through? "

Well, coming from someone so "highly respected", I would also love to hear an answer to pop1's question. I've surely been in those trenches, just like pop 1 has. My knowledge is from pure experience, not "anti-hype"

Wondercoin.
  • Options
    I have to admit that the incessant daily whining about the Eliasberg trade dollar issues does make TDN's points not well received.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    IMHO, your "agenda" on these boards is quite clear. A day doesn't go by where I don't get someone "off the record" to express to me their feelings about your self-serving posts.

Hello Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is it that does not "receive" TDN's posts? Certainly not me. This is one well informed, top of the line collector.

Well said Greg. Pot calling the kettle black! At least there is a point to the Eliasberg coins.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    (1. Spooly: For the love of God, tell us all already what this "crummy" "pop 1" coin you own is!! ) LOL!

All that matters is it's a POP1.. Super Coin!... THE VERY BEST! It's the Greatest Coin Ever for it's type! Because it's a PCGS POP1! And it's a 1800's coin too boot!

• Options
    Agreed DD. A top of the line collector should have a bit more capacity for the appreciation for other's real experience and knowledge.
  • Options
    gmarguli's zinger rates imageimageimageimageimage
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    TDN or anyone else:

If you get a 1963D Lincoln in ms67rd, I'd sure like to look at it; and if satisfactory, I'd pay top dollar (no pun intended, TDN). Someone has looked through hundreds of coins of that issue for me trying to get a 67 and hasn't even come close.

It’s also of some comfort to me to have TDN’s prediction that eventually very few 20th century coins will remain a pop 1 with none finer. Now, that’s a really safe prediction since, of course, eventually we are all dead and no one will be left to call TDN on his prediction.

However, before I were to go, if anyone matches these pop 1 Lincolns, I’d probably pay top dollar: 1909VDB in 68, 1911 in 68, 1911D in 67, 1913S in 66, 1915 in 68, 1917S in 66, 1918 in 68, 1918D in 67, 1919 in 69, 1919D in 67, 1919S in 66, 1923 in 68, 1924D in 66, 1925D in 66, 1926D in 66, 1931D in 67 – RDs only. Also, I'd like a 1926S in 65 - only a 65 - it should be easy.

This list should be sufficiently large that TDN or someone else can probably dig up one or two of these Lincolns for me in the next couple of months. If I'm not available, please let Mitch know – I’ll trust him to handle it for me.

Please note that in this post I haven't said anything negative about what other people collect, or how easy it is to get them. image
  • Options
    all these "top $ paid for coins that dont exist BS is getting old"

Ill pay more than TDN will for a PCGS MS65 1873-CC Trade $
    Sean J
    Re-elect Bush in 2004... Dont let the Socialists brainwash you.

Bush 2004
    Jeb 2008
    KK 2016

• Options
    "all these "top $ paid for coins that dont exist BS is getting old"

Sean: The only thing "getting old" is the fact that the serious buy offers on these 20th Century "rarities" are not getting filled. image

As Gerry correctly points out, imho, one day folks will discuss the 1926(s) Lincoln in say MS66RD as a great, great rarity. Far rarer than MOST (PERHAPS NEARLY 90+% OF) 19th century coins in MS66 grade. A few years after that, folks may point to the 1963(d) Lincoln in MS68RD as a GREAT RARITY, with MS67RD grade being very scarce. Maybe the 13 year old members of our great board will be around to recall the great debates on these coins, but perhaps myself, Gerry, pop 1 and TDN won't be at that point. I'm not "hyping" these Lincolns - I hardly even sell them and rarely ever buy them these days. I'm just educating the uninformed based upon my firsthand knowledge of these coins obtained through 4-15 years of agressive searches for certain coins. What is offensive is the "modern coin bashing". image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    "folks may point to the 1963(d) Lincoln in MS68RD as a GREAT RARITY, with MS67RD grade being very scarce"

Thank you, Wondercoin, for admitting I was right that your handpicked modern super rarity in all likelyhood is not even the finest out there let alone a coin that will remain pop 1.

Since we all are treated to your incessant posts without even an issue, I am quite certain that if PCGS was pulling the same political crap in a series that you cared about we would hear about it at least as much as I am bringing it up.
  • Options
    "Thank you, Wondercoin, for admitting I was right that your handpicked modern super rarity in all likelyhood is not even the finest out there let alone a coin that will remain pop 1."

I am really confused??? When did I ever say this coin "will remain pop 1" or for that matter be a "pop anything". I haven't even answered my own hypothetical yet - for all you know I may have picked the Trade Dollar image

My bottom line here is that it is always perfectly fine for folks to post pictures of their "great 19th century rarities" and the pictures are always met with praise and positive comments. Yet, when "modern" coins are discussed, even when the posters have no clue about what they are writing about (like in the case of the rarity of a 1963(d) Lincoln cent) there is always" bashing", "fingerpointing" and ridicule. IMHO, it's time the "classic dinosaurs" open their minds to the possibility that what others collect is their business and that respect is shown to all fellow collectors image Wondercoin.

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    My bottom line here is that it is always perfectly fine for folks to post pictures of their "great 19th century rarities" and the pictures are always met with praise and positive comments. Yet, when "modern" coins are discussed, even when the posters have no clue about what they are writing about (like in the case of the rarity of a 1963(d) Lincoln cent) there is always" bashing", "fingerpointing" and ridicule. IMHO, it's time the "classic dinosaurs" open their minds to the possibility that what others collect is their business and that respect is shown to all fellow collectors

Maybe because those classic coins look stunning, but that MS67 1963-D 1¢ looks just like half a billion other 1963-D cents, but this one is in a slab and has a few less marks (maybe).
  • Options
    "but that MS67 1963-D 1¢ looks just like half a billion other 1963-D cents"

Greg: Don't you realize how rediculous you sound to anyone that understands Lincolns from the 1960s? image Wondercoin.