Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's the best way to remove gloss to prevent smearing?

Too many cards came back the last few weeks completly smeared to the point there is no autograph on it just a blue blob. I figured it's because the card is glossy and when to was shoved back in the ultra pro holder it smeared really bad.

Somebody mention baby powder and then I heard this morning about a white eraser. I don't know how the baby powder works, but it sounds messy.

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I have used 3 methods. The babypowder, the eraser and the Thumb. I prefer using my thumb. Also, I ship loose.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Baby powder works the best for modern "chrome" or high gloss cards. If you take the time and do it right it does not negativly effect the card in any way. The best way to do it is take some baby powder, non-cornstarch, and lightly sprinkle over the surface. After it has been gently rubbed in take a terry cloth towel and remove. I just had two cards that came back from PSA that received 10's that I had baby powdered. The trick is not to over do it and use to much powder.
  • Options
    Not sure but I've used toothpaste to remove permanent black marker from stained wood surfaces. Maybe it could work on baseball cards? j/k